• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tex Mex for non-red meat eaters

As someone who is allergic to most meat and poultry except fish and shellfish, I am wondering if it is possible to have vegetarian tex mex? I've made BBQ swordfish and put spiced rubbed mako shark on the grill from time to time, but that is hardly authentic. To stretch the concept further, suppose that I can't eat any meat at all, is there a place for vegetarians in the tex mex cuisine? What are some of the substitutes you would recommend? Or, is the concept simply an oxymoron.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Vegetarian Tex-Mex is pretty popular. It starts with vegetarian refried beans (no lard).

From there you can procede to nachos, chalupas, enchiladas, and lots of other cheesy treats.

The last recipe in the Tex Mex Cookbook is for vegetarian chorizo. A recipe I became quite fond of!