• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelon

Ben Hong

No watermelon for me. I like the taste of really good watermelon, but my throat gets really irritated from it. It passes in an hour, but it's almost painful. I think it's some kind of allergic reaction.

Is this my only food allergy? Watermelon of all things. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
No watermelon for me. I like the taste of really good watermelon, but my throat gets really irritated from it. It passes in an hour, but it's almost painful. I think it's some kind of allergic reaction

You may find this of interest:

http://www.food-allergens.de/symposium-3-3...n-abstract.html

It's asking me for money! :o

I add a can of drained lychees to a large bowl of cubed, seeded watermelon and let it sit for three hours or so.

Oh. My. God. :wink:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

I always feel weird when I add a tiny bit of salt on to watermelon, I've been to friend's BBQ and everyone looks all weird at me. So far I think it's a "Chinese" thing to do. I usually add some salt to watermelon, except when we're eating the yellow varieties "Xiao Yue" or "Siu Yoke". Theres something about the flavor of the yellow varieties that I can't seem to add salt to it. As for the Salted Plum Powder, I see that as a "Taiwanese" thing (my mom's Cantonese, dad's Taiwanese). Everytime we goto the night market in Taiwan and buy fruit, salted plum powder is thrown on the side with watermelon like ketchup is to french fries. As for brining pineapple), I think the foremost reason is to remove the acidic "bite".

"do it nice...or do it twice" -picked up from the kitchen at Annisa

"if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

..... As for the Salted Plum Powder, I see that as a "Taiwanese" thing (my mom's Cantonese, dad's Taiwanese). Everytime we goto the night market in Taiwan and buy fruit, salted plum powder is thrown on the side with watermelon like ketchup is to french fries. ....

Is that what it is for? Interesting. Last night we just passed by a store selling Chinese snacks (dried fruits, beef jerky, etc.) on Clement Street in San Francisco. I saw the salted plum powder but have no idea if someone just eats it (a bit weird) or how to use it. Now it makes a lot of sense.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

There's an earlier post in this thread that suggest salt plum powder for Guava, which is also common in Taiwan.

"do it nice...or do it twice" -picked up from the kitchen at Annisa

"if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

I always feel weird when I add a tiny bit of salt on to watermelon, I've been to friend's BBQ and everyone looks all weird at me. So far I think it's a "Chinese" thing to do.[...]

It's not only Chinese. I knew a young man from Carrara, Tuscany, Italy, who put salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar on his watermelon, just as he did with his salad. He told me that was the traditional way to eat watermelon in that part of Tuscany. I prefer watermelon plain, but it really wasn't bad the way he dressed it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Since I was eating out so much this couple weeks, my aunt made a soup to get rid of all those "hotness". She made us finish a huge watermelon to get rid of some of the hotness and saved the rind to make a soup with some herbal medicine.

I add a can of drained lychees to a large bowl of cubed, seeded watermelon and let it sit for three hours or so.

Oh.  My.  God.  :wink:

my God-how can you wait 3 hours? watermelon and lychee!!??

in my house a watermelon seldom lasts more than a day. I also just eat it plain (as does the rest of my chinese family).

Oh.  My.  God.  :wink:

my God-how can you wait 3 hours? watermelon and lychee!!??

in my house a watermelon seldom lasts more than a day. I also just eat it plain (as does the rest of my chinese family).

It's easy: I anticpate the pleasure of my friends who will share it with me......and then prep and prepare the rest of the meal! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

i personally sprinkle salt on my watermelon and apples.

well, there is really a difference, the salt does heighten the sweetness of the watermelon. Another one, salt on the "rose apple" rather than the sour plum powder. The sour plum powder mask off the natural sweetness of the rose apple, while with salt, its the same thing with watermelon.

Also, as a Peranakan chinese, ( i dunno if any other families does that) but my family occasionally eat our watermelon dipped with rojak sauce. Well, they are pretty rad that way too, its like eating it with balsamic, except that its not. make sense?

Also, we also use watermelon, uh, the skin thats it, to brew cooling herbal soup during the summer. Quite good actually...

Watermelon is often had with salt and pepper in India. Nothing to do with the sour/sweet variable, some people just prefer it that way. Fruit Chaat available on the streets consists of bite sized pieces of various fruits sprinkled with black pepper, cumin powder, amchoor(raw mango powder) and rock salt.

Personally, I prefer to inject Vodka and let it steep for a few hours before serving slices at a barbeque. :smile:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com