• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourgogne

Andre

A taste of Bourgogne

Special Reserve July 15th 2004.

The first word that comes to mind when one of mother earth’s finest wine regions comes to mind is respect. Respect for the earth, respect for the viticulture, respect for the winemaker and respect for those who can tell the difference.

In owe of this respect, I feel that whatever I write will be short and pointless.

The following wine tasting was professionally performed by Mr. Tomer Gal. My notes on the wines follow:

Bourgogne white Ramonet 2002:

Light pale clear towards goldish color.

The nose starts with an herbaceous and citrus aroma with crisp green apples joining the scene. The nose reflects mild concentration with a fresh grass and herbs finish mingled with the slowly growing oaky bouquet.

Several minutes later some minerals and ripe fruits appear on the nose.

In the mouth the wine is soft and ripe on the entry with a very good well balanced back bone acidity.

The finish ids dominated by freshly cut grass, herbs, minerals and a mildly fume’ aspect joined together by this wine’s fine acidity.

Five minutes later and the wine grows into a medium + body, well grown in oak in the mouth yet slightly submitted to oak in the aftertaste.

What a standard wine!

Drink now – 2007.

Bourgogne white Leroy 1997:

Clear yellow towards Goldish brilliant color with a glimpse of brown at the edges.

An excellent aged white Bourgogne nose with a masterpiece combination of ripe fruits and toasted and extremely balanced oak. Seductive sweet flavors mingle with the more Sirius wood in perfect harmony.

In the mouth the wine is quoted with a fat and creamy texture and a good acidity that backs – up the apples, pears and minerals.

The finish is very well balanced with a ripe apple and the softest texture of mild oak ever.

The winemaker is nothing short of a magician. Outstanding!

Perfect now but will age gracefully a couple or more years.

Meursault 1er Cru Genevrierer, Fancois Jobard 2000.

Yellow towards goldish color.

The nose is still closed in the beginning with hints of green fruits, green almonds, sharp acidity and citrus blossom. Gentle aromas of alcohol surface along the sniffing procedure.

A good backbone acidity shows in the mouth with mild oak, soft tannins and a sweet mineral finish.

The wine is far too young to drink now with the acidity overpowering the gentler aromas. Amazingly the wine had been in oak for 2 years and none of this can be felt in the wine.

This is a long distance runner capable of over ten years of aging easy.

Drink – 2008-2018.

Bourgogne Rouge Domain Hubert de Montille 2001

Almost blush in color with very pale red towards rose’ clear color.

A sweet cherry nose with freshly boiled vine leaves and sweet flowery aroma.

The sweetness of a ripe Volnay comes to mind when the wine enters the mouth. Fairly simple and very pleasant traditional Bourgogne with a well balanced acidity and a food friendly attitude.

Drink now – 2006.

Vosne-Romanee, Domaine Jean Grivot 1999.

A beautiful red cherry-Burgundy color.

The nose is rather closed in the beginning with oak, herbs and minerals dominating the scene. Red ripe fruits are very slow to open but the concentration of a fine village is apparent.

The massive 1999 vintage shows pure muscle in the mouth. Tons of greenish tannins, good acidity and well-balanced oak promise a long and promising maturation procedure.

Drink 2008-2015.

Maranges Leroy 1990.

Dark deep red color with brick red rims.

A fully ripe nose, rich and seductive gives way to slightly over-ripe aromas. Oak, spices, herbs and sweet vanilla blend with the buttery aspects while minerals and earth close this magnificent circle. Seven minutes later and a fully developed Bourgogne nose is expressed in an elegant and harmonious manner.

Very good acidity shows this is by no means the end of the road for this wine. Powerful sweet fruits and spice express remarkable youth to this truly magnificent wine.

Drink now – 2010.

Vaguest 1er Cru Les Cras Vougeraie 2001

Well developed and fairly complex nose with sweet fruits and fruit drops dominating the nose.

Lots of tannins, very good acidity, minerals, some more fine soft tannins with hints of green coffee beans.

This is a big wine with plenty of fine tannins to allow a secure development into a full -bodied complex and very well balanced Bourgogne classic.

Thrilling potential!

Drink 2007-2018.

Clos de Vougeot Gran Cru Meo-Camuzet 2000.

A red –velvety color with some depth.

Big complex nose with red forest berries, oak, and minerals fully integrate to offer a massive full-bodied potential.

Soft on the entry with concentrated fruits, berries, cherry liqueur, soft but well integrated tannins and a very good acidity. Wow!

A Very promising giant!

Drink 2014-2022.

Echezeaux Grand Cru, Jean Grivot 1998.

Red cherry towards garnet color with some depth.

Spices and sweet aromas mingle with wild animal smell and a hint of citrus blossom.

Fully blown with some apparent VA good tannins but low acidity without much texture to really push forward this wine.

No character of a Grand Cru apparent.

Drink now though the wine might hold a couple or more years.

Vosne-Romanee 1erv Cru Leroy 1969.

Light pale towards reddish color.

Nose is aged in the beginning with over-ripe and mildly oxidized fruits.

Several minutes later and the peacock begins to reveal its tale. Soft ripe fruits with mild sweet spices begin to seduce in an irreversible manner.

Floral and greenish notes seem to develop back and forth on the mouth along with some dried fruits, very soft tannins and fine acidity.

Perfect!

Sweet raisins and molasses develop along with some wet earth [after the rain], forest herbs and very mild spice.

The earthy aspects of the wine develop further as it comes in contact with air and the distinctive sweet spice Vosne-Romanee flavor.

As good as can be.

I feel privileged to have enjoyed such a masterpiece.

Corton-Chalemagne Grand Cru Bonneau du Martray 1994.

By the time I had tried this wine it was open for about 36 hours.

Yellowish towards pale goldish color.

Apples with buttery aroma along with some late summer flowers blossom joined by some minerals and soft oak and spicy flavors.

In the mouth the wine proved to be full-bodied with flavors of/ apples, pairs, shelled-walnuts good acidity, soft tannins and well-balanced oak.

Fully developed now to reveal a truly great wine.

Drink now- 2006.

The greatness of a winemaker lies in his ability to understand nature and accommodate his art accordingly.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The finish ids dominated by freshly cut grass, herbs, minerals and a mildly fume’ aspect joined together by this wine’s fine acidity.

Andre,

Delightful notes. They serve me as a reminder that Leroy does some very nice things with the lesser appellations - I seem to forget that occasionally.

Could you explain what you meant in using the word fume’ ?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Could you explain what you meant in using the word fume’ ?

Best, Jim

Thanks Jim,

I was referring to the smoky aspect usually derived from toasting the oak. As opposed to modern style wine making, the "fume'" aspect here does not feel as if a part of the barrel.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.