• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quintessential Tex Mex

Robb:

As an Austinite, I get a craving for Tex Mex at least once a month! However, the craving usually starts with a desire for a margarita, and goes from there...

My question ... folks here are mighty particular about their Tex Mex: one person's favorite restaurant is another person's idea of a dive. What are the quintessential components of the perfect Tex Mex meal?

By the way, Pato's Tacos is open again: remember that dive? Best frijoles in town ( they used to use lard, but alas, no longer....!)

As I researched the history of Tex-Mex, I realized that each era has had its own quintessential Tex-Mex dish.

Frijoles came first. Chile con carne became the defining dish of the late 1800s and spread across the country. Tamales became a famous Tex-Mex street food in the early 1900s. The "regular supper" as early combination plates were called were first served in the Anglo-owned Mexican restaurants like the Original in San Antonio and were popular through the 1960s. In West Texas, stacked enchiladas were and are the plato tipico. The invention of Velveeta brought about the American cheese enchilada which was the defining dish of mid-century Tex-Mex, and remains a favorite. Huevos rancheros with refrieds and fresh flour tortillas is a classic San Antonio dish too. Fajitas became the most popular Tex-Mex dish of the 1980s.

Edited by Robb Walsh (log)

In the interest of "roll your own", Robb has graciously contributed Larry's Cheese Enchiladas and the essential Chili Gravy to RecipeGullet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose