• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cookbooks

rajsuman

• 2 weeks later...

:hmmm: only one, though most useful one so far, for a startingcooking stuff on microwave cooking of indian dishes.. by Ms. Malliga Badrinath.

:biggrin: made only one dish :shock: mooru Kolumbu (buttermilk curry).

Geetha :raz:

This was a good excuse to count the number of books I have...51 Indian and about 40 other cookbooks..

My Favorites are Samaithu Paar,Bangla Ranna (Minakshie Dasgupta) and 500 easy recipes(Narayani Nayak).The last one is an old Konkani cookbook.It is out of print and my entire copy is xeroxed.All three are books that are good to cook from.After reading the raves here,I plan to add Camellia Punjabis book to my shelves.

I have 47 Indian cookbooks , somehow I have two copies of a Gujarati cookbook = 48 total, if you count the duplicate :wink:

Rasachandrika and a couple of Jaya V. Shenoy's cookbooks have the most "Frequent Cooking Miles" in my collection.

My Favorites are Samaithu Paar,Bangla Ranna (Minakshie Dasgupta) and 500 easy recipes(Narayani Nayak).The last one is an old  Konkani cookbook.It is out of print and my entire copy is xeroxed.

ravum, how many pages are in Narayani Nayak's 500 easy recipes? Now you've made me a Curious George :blink: would love to have a copy.

Shanta

1035! Congratulations folks! We're now talking four-digit figures! I'm longing for the no-longer-in-print book too!In fact, I've yet to add Rasachandrika to my collection. I've never seen it in bookshops in India. Any ideas who sells it in Blore? BTW, do either of these books contain Konkani seafood dishes? Although I suspect I already know the answer.

Suman

Edited to add: Just found this cookbook with seafood recipes, but I'm not sure if they ship outside of the US.

http://culture.konkani.com/Misc/527_Indian_cooking_Ko.htm

Edited by rajsuman (log)

1035! Congratulations folks! We're now talking four-digit figures!  I'm longing for the no-longer-in-print book too!In fact, I've yet to add Rasachandrika to my collection. I've never seen it in bookshops in India. Any ideas who sells it in Blore? BTW, do either of these books contain Konkani seafood dishes? Although I suspect I already know the answer.

Suman

Edited to add: Just found this cookbook with seafood recipes, but I'm not sure if they ship outside of the US.

http://culture.konkani.com/Misc/527_Indian_cooking_Ko.htm

Suman,

You can order/buy Rasachandrika from Popular Prakashan, they ship outside India: http://www.popularprakashan.com/Showbook.asp?bookid=211

They have a branch in B'lore: http://www.popularprakashan.com/Contactus.asp?ntype=branches - if they don't have a copy, try one of the Saraswat Associations in B'lore.

Rasachandrika has very few fish and egg recipes - it's mainly vegetarian with tons of recipes listed by vegetables.

Found another Konkani cookbook, looks like there are a lot of seafood recipes: http://www.popularprakashan.com/Showbook.a...=add&bookid=210

- am ordering this NOW! :wub:

Shanta

Edited by shanta (log)

Thanks Shanta! There's another book called 'Coastal Fiesta', a compilation of recipes from all the communities of South Kanara. The Konkani section contains only vegetarian cooking, but it does have some lovely Bunt non-veg recipes.

Suman

• 2 weeks later...

4 more!!! Found 3 hiding in a deep shelf including Rani's Feast of India.

Saraswat Cookery book arrived today :smile: Suman, you're gonna love this book - 93 pages are full of seafood recipes out of the total 212 pages!! The quality of the paper is not so good though :(

- Shanta

• 7 years later...

I have about 300

Wow, If you are the person I think you are, I have a smaller number of cookbooks (but not by much) and the Indian ones include your 'Modern Spice'. Its actually wonderful to find someone with a familiar name.

• 9 years later...

Bumping this old thread....  I have 1 Indian cookbook and it is absolutely horrible.  I've been thinking about Indian food more lately and was looking for a book or two.  It would be nice if the book(s) organized recipes by region rather than necessarily by "soup, starter, main course" etc.

Any recommendations?

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Bumping this old thread....  I have 1 Indian cookbook and it is absolutely horrible.  I've been thinking about Indian food more lately and was looking for a book or two.  It would be nice if the book(s) organized recipes by region rather than necessarily by "soup, starter, main course" etc.

Any recommendations?

One I recommend is Vivek Singh, Curry.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/1/2021 at 5:06 PM, KennethT said:

Any recommendations?

I don't have any recommendations but wonder if your interests would be better served by seeking out regional cookbooks rather than broader books divided by region? I see many interesting-sounding options mentioned earlier in this thread but have no idea how easy they are to find and there's relatively little commentary about which ones are best.  

But over in India: Dining, @Jenni shares her thoughts on a lot of them in this post and just a couple of posts before, she shared a great post that discusses regional variations. 

Pushpesh Pant's India: Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) does delve into regional recipes but isn't organized that way. There's a small eG thread about it here, where @Jenni offers a comment that would also nudge one in the direction of regional sources:

I have it. In my opinion, it does not cover regional Indian cuisine as widely or as accurately as it seems to want to, but it is still a good book. I remember (I don't have the book with me right now) disagreeing strongly with some of the recipes and also being rather miffed about the absence of some rather well known dishes. Still, it is ludicrous to think of a book even coming close to "covering" all India's cuisines adequately, so if you look at it that way it's not a bad book. I don't use it as much as some of my more regionally specific books (or as much as the internet or friends) but since it contains a lot of recipes it would be a good book for someone who wants to get hold of a lot of recipes at once.

I'll also add that last one is a Phaidon book and I've found many of their cookbooks to be beautiful to look at but poorly edited from a cook's perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, KennethT said:

Any recommendations?

What book do you have that you don't like?

I have several Indian cookbooks. Some are general (but not divided into regions), and some are books focusing on specific regions.  Some are vegetarian, and one is vegan.

A couple of large general ones I like are 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer and 1000 Indian Recipes by Neelam Batra. Those cover a lot of territory and often(but not always) say what region the recipes are from. There are no photos in either of those books.

Here's a link to a book divided into regions.  I don't own this one and haven't cooked any of the recipes. Lots of photos and a wide range of recipes.  Access to the complete book is at the link (and it's also available from Amazon.) I'm a little surprised that a publisher gives that much access to the content of their books, but most(maybe all) of their books are that way.

http://www.annesspublishing.com/mint_pageturn/excite/preview/891846526

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This probably seems old school but I suggest getting a copy of the Time Life Foods of the World Series "India" - super cheap. esp w/o recipe booklet., It gives, to me, an outstanding glimpse of the various regions and how their geography affects the culture & cuisine. Then when you read recipes you feel more a part  of. (sounding a bit woo woo I know). @David Rosswas a big fan of the series for that reason.  https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-India-Foods-World/dp/0809400693

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, heidih said:

This probably seems old school but I suggest getting a copy of the Time Life Foods of the World Series "India" - super cheap. esp w/o recipe booklet., It gives, to me, an outstanding glimpse of the various regions and how their geography affects the culture & cuisine. Then when you read recipes you feel more a part  of. (sounding a bit woo woo I know). @David Rosswas a big fan of the series for that reason.  https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-India-Foods-World/dp/0809400693

My parents had the whole series and I did a lot of cooking out of them when I was around high school age.  To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of them then and even more so now (especially regarding various SE Asian cuisines which I have a lot of experience with).