• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Juneau, AK

I haven't seen too many Juneau postings, but does anyone have recommendations for a good place for breakfast? I'm hoping for pancakes and local blueberries, etc.

Also, how's lunch at Fiddlehead Restaurant? I hear they have good vegetarian dishes (I'm not vegetarian but my mother is).

Not sure if you'll find anywhere that will be doing local blueberries....

But for some good Alaskan breakfasts I'd recommend the Capital Cafe at the Westmark Baranof. Sourdough pancakes, reindeer sausage, salmon omlettes --much like the Westmark Shee Atika in Sitka.

It has been awhile since I was in Juneau.

And I've heard nothing but good things about Fiddlehead. I have their cookbook and really enjoy it.

Does El Sombrero still exist in Juneau? I worked on the ships of Princess Cruises up there in (gulp) 1979 and we'd always get a group of the few Americans who worked on board (I think there were fifteen of us on a ship with three hundred crew members) and head to El Sombrero every Monday night.

Remember it ever so fondly...pretty traditional American Mexican food but it tasted soooo good after the same grub, week after week, in the crew mess.

I just Googled it and it is still there. As is Bullwinkle's Pizza where we'd order a couple of pies and I'd get a pitcher of root beer (I'd share). Fiddlehead was there too and we'd get pastries to take back to the ship. As is the Red Dog Saloon where my boyfriend and I would leave letters for each other when we were working on different ships... :wub:

Sorry I can't recommend anything more upscale. And never had breakfast in Juneau as we always arrived after noon. But we had great pancakes in Sitka, Ketchikan and Skagway!

Have fun, Muffin!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Going on a cruise Muffin? Visiting anywhere else?

I was hoping that Foam Pants would post a recommendation, but we've been missing her for some time now. :sad:

Dearest Jaymes may have a suggestion, but she's on her own adventure heading towards my favourite town of Seattle.

When will you be there? Because hopefully this can get bumped every now and then with a good tip or two.

Enjoy your visit to my happy homeland of Alaska. :cool: It takes only milli-seconds for me to miss being there....

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I think I have risen from the dead to give you somewhat researched Juneau restaurant advice. For breakfasts downtown, I would recommend the cafe at the Baranof Hotel for their great pancakes among other tasty stuff. BaCar's is back in business and will serve you up a big, tasty grease bomb cheap, if you enjoy a hearty breakfast. I had an incredible breakfast at Paradise Lunch of spinach strata and my lunch date had blueberry french toast which was amazing. The Fiddlehead isn't what it used to be as the owners are concentrating on their other restaurant, Di Sopra, but their bakery is still good. If you like bagels, try Silverbow. Everybody at my office adores their caraway variety. For coffee, try Valentine's or Heritage Coffee, a big Juneau favorite that roasts its own beans right here in Juneau.

Taking you out on Egan Drive toward the Mendenhall Valley, the Breeze-In has just about everything under the sun including the best donuts in town. The bagels are good, too as are their cream cheese mixtures. Donna's isn't the best but lots of locals stop by as it is one of the few morning restaurants in the valley so gossip is great. If you want to venture onto the University of Alaska Southeast, they have baristas set up in the middle of their new addition on to the library and they are some of the best in town. Only in the Northwest can you get latte in the library. Last, there is a new Waffle place out the road in Auke Bay that is earning a very good reputation.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.