• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie Season

Muffin210

All those beautiful fruits at the farmers' markets reminded me...it's a good time of year for PIE!!!

If you're not going to make your own pie, where would you go to get one? What's your favorite kind of pie?

I have to confess that even though I normally don't like chain restaurants, I am partial to the Marie Callender's fresh peach pie. But I'm always looking for a better (or just different) pie!

Chris Cognac and I were just talking about setting up an eGullet pie-tasting event. Anyone interested?

I'm a massive pie fan. I've sampled pies from coast to coast, and find that most chain pies (Marie's, Hof's, Polly's) are just OK most of the time. Other times, they're garbage.

If I'm not making a pie from scratch, I buy a Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish Apple pie. Yes, a pie from the grocery freezer section. I've tried all the frozen pies (and those chain pies), and this is thee absolute best.

If there is a pie shootout in the future, all I ask is that you include one of these bad boys -- I guarantee that it'll throw all of the results off...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Pie is good.

I have a horrible sweet tooth, so I love most pies. Particular favorites are lemon, chess, sweet potato/pecan and apple. I do believe that it's one of those items that somehow really suffers from mass production. I'm not sure if it's the methods, the recipes themselves or the lack of personality. Love, maybe. Homemade wins almost every time, IMHO.

For non-homemade, it seems to me that it's easier to find good cobbler or crisp than to find good pie.

How about Potluck and Pie?

edit to add: I'm in either way.

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

Damnit, I'm getting fat because of discussions like this! Why can't we start talking about kale or broccoli? I need to eat more of that stuff.

I like my homemade apple pie the best. Each pie has about 8 apples.

The best blueberry pie I ever ate was at Savoury Pie Co, on Granville Market in Vancouver. Crust was as good as homemade, flaky and delicate. Blueberry filling was just a ton of blueberries, delicately spiced with i think cinnamon. Their apple pie was not as good as mine though. Not enough apples. Good crust though.

When i want quick pie-like fix, I go to Chik fil-A for their lemon meringue, which is mild and easy to eat.

i always see signs at The Farmer's Market that say du-par's is so great for pie, but since they're always so empty, I am kind of scared to go in.

you people are dangerous.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

There used to be a restaurant on the southwest corner of Harbor Blvd and Katella about a mile south of Disneyland that had the absolute best pies I ever tasted in a restaurant. They made them from scratch and always had lugs of the fresh fruit in a cooler at the front of the restaurant to show what was going into the pies. I think the name was Belisle's.

I think it closed a few years ago, but it was there for many, many years, a bright pink building, often with a line waiting to get in. They served huge portions and used only the best ingredients, no mixes. Their pastry cream was the real stuff. They also made chocolate eclairs that were enormous and delicious. They made cream puffs that were the size of grapefruit and if you wished were served with a bowl of sliced strawberries.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i always see signs at The Farmer's Market that say du-par's is so great for pie, but since they're always so empty, I am kind of scared to go in.

you people are dangerous.

I am already fat and can get a lot fatter with this kind of stuff going on. Still, sounds great.

I am a Type II diabetic but am well controlled. A little straying off the path isn't a huge problem.

Huell Hauser had a show on KCET that included tasting pies at various places around the city. I wish I could remember the ones he visited. I made some notes at the time but have no idea where they might be now. I will see if I can find the link on his web site.

A blind tasting sounds like a lot of fun.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think the name was Belisle's. 

I think it closed a few  years ago, but it was there for many, many years, a bright pink building, often with a line waiting to get in.  They served huge portions and used only the best ingredients, no mixes.  Their pastry cream was the real stuff.  They also made chocolate eclairs that were enormous and delicious.  They made cream puffs that were the size of grapefruit and if you wished were served with a bowl of sliced strawberries.

Oh man, do I remember Belisle's. I never did find out why they closed. Do you know? I kind of wonder if their huge portions did them in.

I remember the first thing you got was that big steaming loaf of cornbread. And then you ordered! I vaguely remember getting a vat of salad once. Honestly I don't remember ever getting dessert, because I was too full from the entrees. That was a first class operation.

--back on topic, what do you think of everpresent-on-food-forums places like Pie & Burger, or Apple Pan (banana cream pie with topping)? I need to go to House of Pies sometime, so I can see where all the writers hang out. I tend to make my pies, not buy them, so I only have eaten a slice of the banana cream at Apple Pan and that was a while ago.

If I say so myself, I make a really good key lime tart on graham cracker crust, but I use persian limes.

--spelling edits

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I spoke to my friends in Yorba Linda earlier this evening, they told me that old George, the original owner from Missouri, died and his sons had a falling out about the way the place was run in about 1997 or '98. Marie, George's second wife and Louise, his first wife were good friends, and my friends told me they moved into Leisure World together.

That was a prime piece of real estate which they owned, so it was probably sold for a bundle. I haven't been down that way for a while so have no idea what is now on that corner.

Too bad you never tried their pies. The strawberry pie was just perfectly ripe strawberries, piled as high as they could in a blind-baked crust, then their own clear glaze (not that canned glop) which was like a simple syrup cooked to the soft ball stage, wa then poured over the pile of fruit. I have never tasted a strawberry pie as good. They did a blueberry pie with blueberries in blueberry cream that was also unlike any I have ever tried. Their lemon meringue was also great. My friends said their favorite was the chocolate cream pie with the crust made from vanilla wafers and with shaved chocolate on top of the pastry cream topping. (About 1000 calories to the square inch.)

In the late 70s and early 80s the Santa Ana Kennel Club had their two shows (spring and fall) at the Disneyland Driving Range (long gone now) and those of us who stayed at the grounds in motorhomes always converged on Belisles after the show. Even with a large group like us, the service was always fast, courteous and I never heard of them getting an order wrong. And note that all the "waitresses" were not youngsters. One, whom I remember was named Betty Ann, had been a waitress for 50 years. No trays for them, they could carry three plates on one arm and two in the other hand. Fantastic.

We used to go there for breakfast prior to visiting Disneyland, would order one breakfast for two people, which they were happy to provide extra plates because they knew how big they were. My stepson, who had two hollow legs and was a body builder, would eat one of the "Mountain-Man" breakfasts all by himself. I think it included a slab of ham, several strips of bacon, sausage, 6 eggs, fried potatoes and a stack of pancakes. It came on a large platter.

They also had wonderful fried chicken, chicken fried steak and the smothered pork chops with stewed apples were the best. The chicken pot pie was also a favorite.

I think they started out as a competitor to the restaurant at Knotts Berry Farm.

I haven't been to Pie and Burger or Apple Pan. I used to go to a House of Pies, can't recall just where at the moment.

There used to be a place named Tick Tock Pies on Van Nuys Blvd in Sherman Oaks. They had a big sign out front that was a pie clock face. That is going back a long way. They were just down the street from Bob's Big Boy drive in and on Friday night (cruise night) they were an alternate to Bob's.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

If you are in the LA area - I ate at a cafe in Santa Monica called Cafe Montana (I think that's right) - it was on Montana in the trendy shopping district .

Everything made on premises and OMG wonderful. We had raspberry rhubarb that day. A highly recommended place.

for old-fashioned diner pies, i don't think you can beat bake 'n' broil in long beach. and they do those open-faced fresh fruit pies as well (i think they don't call them tarts because that would be too fancy). they do strawberry, olallieberry and peach. good crust, pile o' fruit and then what i think is cornstarch-thickend fruit juice over top (well, it ain't campanile).

try Buttercup Bake Shop on Santa Monica Blvd..near the F&S fabrics and the McDonalds..sorry i cant be more specific with the address but i can try and look it up..the strawberry rhubarb is TO DIE FOR..blueberry and apple as sinful as well

baker Karen Levine is incredible and you feel like you are in her home kitchen...

try Buttercup Bake Shop on Santa Monica Blvd..near the F&S fabrics and the McDonalds..sorry i cant be more specific with the address but i can try and look it up..the strawberry rhubarb is TO DIE FOR..blueberry and apple as sinful as well

baker Karen Levine is incredible and you feel like you are in her home kitchen...

Isn't that on Pico in West LA? East of Overland?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

So do we need to set up a "best pie in L.A." event?...everyone can bring a pie from someplace in L.A. and we could taste test them. I am sure I will be able to write about it, maybe even get a photographer to shoot it...I guess I could find a place to do it as well.....maybe early Sept? What do you think?...Julia, its your idea....what do you think? Could get some nice egullet mentions in the article!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Early September sounds good...I think the blind pie-tasting is a great idea! Looks like there are a lot of other people who'd be interested, too. Yummmm....can't wait....

Any ideas for a location?

Our brand new 33 million dollar police station will be open in 3 weeks...its got a buunch of community rooms and kitchen stuff..I could ask the Chief, he should go for it...We have already filmed food network stuff at the station so he should be cool with it....the place is out of this world, you have to see it to believe it!

The Hungry Detective

• 4 weeks later...

I'm game.

We just need to settle on a day and a time and a place.

Would love to see Chris Cognac's place of business.

What rules to follow regarding where the pies originate?

I have something working at the moment....I just agreed to do a show for time warner and am working out the details....gonna be full on low budget but I will have creative control and a crew...so this could be something that could work for that....it would also make it easier to use the facilities...but a glitch just came up with the new station and we cant move in due to a minor issue (jail beds 3 inches to short).....amazing...anyway, ideas?...yea or nay for show?

Chris

The Hungry Detective

Pie in the Pokey! Sounds like Mayberry...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

No we cant go in the station cause the state says the bunks are 3 inches too short!....Amazing....33 million dollars,state of the art and we cant use the new station till we build longer bunks so the crooks can stretch out while they are in jail! I had wanted touse one of the new community rooms with brand new kitchens....so let me work on it a bit, maybe we can use the cuban club which would workout fine.

Rules...Has to be bought at a Los Angeles/OC commercial location...I.E.Marie Calenders etc.....no home made....that way it can be "rated" and the results published in the Daily Breeze..

Chris

The Hungry Detective