• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Salmon....

RKHessel

Just graduated and am moving...came across some salmon steaks that my aunt froze for me about 3-4 years ago. She put the steaks in a heavy duty freezer ziploc bag, filled it with water, and froze it. Said that they would not smell and would keep for "quite a long time"...Ummm...How long?

Slightly scared, but probably curious enough to try thawing and eating it...

I have never heard of freezing fish in water in bags. Interesting. I would surely cook and eat them after 3-4 months. But 3-4 YEARS? No. I'd ask what took you so long to find them, but I am afraid of the answer. :raz: Seriously...salmon isn't that expensive anymore. Buy some fresh already.

Freezing products within a bag of water is thought to provide an impermeable seal, extending the usable life of the product and avoiding freezer burn. Not owning a deep freeze I can't vouch for that personally, but I know several people who follow that practice. I've eaten venison from one person's freezer which had been kept that way for three years, and it was absolutely fine.

Go figure.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'd definitely toss. Yick.

If I had salmon that had been hanging around for 10 months or so I'd still eat it, but only by cooking it well and then turning it into salmon cakes or some such recipe where the salmon doesn't have to be in one glorious piece.

I just ordered fish from the Pike Fish Market and they suggested the "water technique" for freezing their fish.

I agree with the others, however, the salmonin you freezer should be allowed to swim upstream to the garbage can.

While cleaning out the deep freeze at my mother's house, we found some shrimp tails that were at least 3 years old. Mother used to freeze them in cartons in water. We got really curious and didn't expect much but they were perfectly fine. Of course, mother kept the freezer running well below zero. You won't get that in a refrigerator freezer. Freezing fish filets in water is kind of standard procedure here. However, any seafood with appreciable fat content can start to taste really funny after a few months. I say toss 'em.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We have a deep freeze in my mother's cellar still full of Downy Flake Frozen Waffle Packages that my mom bought in 1969. There was a sale. $.10 a package. She won't let anyone remove the freezer...(long story...people with mentally ill parents can relate...) but about a year ago, my sister and I decided to have a look-see at the waffles one night when we were a little bit drunk. They'd disintegrated! All the packages were practically empty!! :shock::laugh:

Edited by Pickles (log)

But I would make sure the pinbones had been removed, myself..

Dogs are omnivorous predators and scavengers, and we pamper them excessively. The average dog has 22 feet of intestine, enough to handle small bones from fish, fowl, or rodents.

Have you seen films of Eskimos tossing raw whole frozen fish to the Huskies? These people depended on dogs, and fed them something that worked.

When we went fishing - we'd fillet the fish immediately and freeze in water. Great way to handle it in my opinion.

I've been known to have some older things hanging around the house - and none of them has killed me yet. I'd defrost the salmon - see what it smelled like - and cook it assuming it smelled ok. Robyn