• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tully's shakes

I had my first Tully's shake over the weekend. Paul had mocha and I had chocolate. I don't think I will be ordering this on a regular basis. To make the chocolate shake they blend their vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup and milk and, to me, it's much too sweet and not chocolate-y enough. The mocha, with the addition of shots of espresso, was much better, but still too sweet. I did ask for a short and it was a whopping 30 cents less than the tall.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

To make the chocolate shake they blend their vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup and milk and, to me, it's much too sweet and not chocolate-y enough. 

That's surprising because, at least the last time I looked, they were using jars of Fran's sauce as an ice cream topping. A far cry from Hershey's. It seems like the best chocolate shakes are made with chocolate ice cream, and I think Tully's only has vanilla and espresso ice cream. I tried the orange cream shake the other day and it was good (I've loved orange/vanilla ever since I devoured those Dixie cups when I was kid).

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I was surprised too because I know they offer a Dilletante Mocha, so I sort of assumed...... But, there it was, a giant can of Hershey's syrup that they squirted into the blender. This was at the Wallingford Tully's so maybe they do things differently......

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

To make the chocolate shake they blend their vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup and milk and, to me, it's much too sweet and not chocolate-y enough.  The mocha, with the addition of shots of espresso, was much better, but still too sweet.

I had a mocha shake at the Eastgate Tully's last week, and I, too, found it super-sweet -- so cloying, in fact, that I was unable to finish it. (Until this recent spate of posts, I thought maybe I had gotten a bad example, hence my silence.)

It also had a fake-smooth consistency, more like melted soft-serve ice cream (which, in essence, it is) than a real shake.

And, as previously mentioned, the price was astronomical. I felt like Vincent Vega:

VINCENT

Did you just order a five-dollar shake?

MIA

Sure did.

VINCENT

A shake?  Milk and ice cream?

MIA

Uh-huh.

VINCENT

It costs five dollars?

BUDDY

Yep.

VINCENT

You don't put bourbon in it or anything?

BUDDY

Nope.

VINCENT

Just checking.

~A

edited for a typo

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

If you want a really good chocolate shake, go to a Fran's store like the one in the U Village. They make an amazing chocolate shake. Super yummy!

Been a few years since I had one but it shouldnt have changed.

ok, back to my chocolate fudge brownie ice-cream.

A little frappucino history. The name came from a Boston based chain Coffee Connection. Shakes are sometimes called frappes (one syllable) in New England. They were a pre-mix loaded into a slurpee style machine. Starbucks didn't license the name they just bought the whole chain for $23 million. I remember them tasting better in a Coffee Connection.

• 4 weeks later...

On a trip to Portland last week I got a Black Tiger shake from Coffee People, and if the Tully's shake didn't tickle your shake-slurping organs, this one might. It uses hard ice cream, ground espresso beans, and a couple of shots of espresso. I'm not sure whether the ice cream is coffee or vanilla, but you would be hard-pressed to squeeze any more coffee flavor into a milkshake.

Aha, here is the recipe, and the shake uses Black Tiger ice cream, which is where the grounds come in.

edit: What reminded me that I needed a Black Tiger shake was this column by Karen Brooks in the Oregonian.

Edited by mamster (log)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

On a trip to Portland last week I got a Black Tiger shake from Coffee People, and if the Tully's shake didn't tickle your shake-slurping organs, this one might. It uses hard ice cream, ground espresso beans, and a couple of shots of espresso. I'm not sure whether the ice cream is coffee or vanilla, but you would be hard-pressed to squeeze any more coffee flavor into a milkshake.

Aha, here is the recipe, and the shake uses Black Tiger ice cream, which is where the grounds come in.

edit: What reminded me that I needed a Black Tiger shake was this column by Karen Brooks in the Oregonian.

My taller half commutes weekly by train, plane and automobile to Corvallis and

the best part of flying is the black tiger shake at PDX and beer on Horizon. I love the fact that coffee people has a full service concession at PDX.

FWIW, tullyophiles, the new A terminal at Sea-Tac has a Tullys with shakes and dean and deluca goodies and dilettante chocolates to go. Taller half had a shake week before last and puported it was pretty good. Its really nice to have an alternative to Starbucks and SBC at the airport!

Looking forward to my americano before my flight to Paris next Saturday!

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Looking forward to my americano before my flight to Paris next Saturday!

GEEZ is everyone going to Paris in September?! You are the fourth I know of, lalala....

Every year, every September and December and sometimes March..... :)

Taller half must replenish Debauve and Gallais, Foucher, Gerard Mulot and La Maison du Chocolat stocks.....

Trust me, a weekend in Paris is cheaper than a weekend in Vegas, Orlando, New York City ...

lala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

GEEZ is everyone going to Paris in September?!

No, I went in March. :smile:

I finally tried one of those Tully's shakes since some people here raved. It was awful-so sickeningly sweet. Nothing beats the espresso shakes at the Cascadian Farm stand in Rockport. Unfortunately that is a 3 hour drive from Seattle.

• 7 months later...

I love Tully's shakes, but I'd rather have a Butterfinger shake than an Oreo shake.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Last year my girlfriend went to Hawaii for an event and sent me a pound of Kona coffee... I usually buy a half pound of coffee at a time and take a few weeks to finish that, so I tried to find a good use for the coffee that would expedite using it before the coffee became stale.

I had an inspired moment.

I brewed about 5 cups of the coffee, added a bit of lemon juice and zest, and whatever amount of sugar was needed to make it a sorbet instead of an ice, then let it do its thing in my ice cream maker... The acidity of the Kona provided the perfect contrast to get a fresh tasting sorbet.

I think it would have worked out quite well as a granita. Probably not so nice as a shake; acidic coffee and milk don't seem to work together for me, but maybe a dollop of cream on top would be nice.

Alas, I am not sure when I will make it to Tully's for said shake, as I have a bit of an aversion to their coffee in general, but maybe I'll by some vanilla ice cream and start pouring shots from my stash of Vivace's coffee. I can get some pretty good ice cream for $5.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Oreo shake. It kind of sucked. You could see the Oreo crumbs but you couldn't taste them. Stick with the mocha shake, and get an Oreo Blizzard down at the DQ. Not on the same day.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

This kind of thing I bet could be easily resolved if they used a coarser grind of Oreo. Too fine a grind and it's just soggy crumbs that turn into sludge in the bottom of the cup. Wonder if it's possible to get them by request.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

• 1 year later...

Again the craving for a good espresso shake has hit. If anyone sees the REAL thing-espresso, ice cream, milk, a blender-in Seattle, can you let me know? I know they've got to be out there, but my usual coffee places like Lighthouse don't do them. Thanks.

Again the craving for a good espresso shake has hit. If anyone sees the REAL thing-espresso, ice cream, milk, a blender-in Seattle, can you let me know? I know they've got to be out there, but my usual coffee places like Lighthouse don't do them. Thanks.

Mae's is doing a later open (till dusk) ice cream stand, but I suggest Gelatiamo - gelato and espresso!

Edited by tsquare (log)

I had my first Tully's experience not too long ago. I ordered my usual iced Americano and was wired for the next four hours. Seriously. I was speaking so fast, I could barely understand myself. What do they put in that coffee?!!! :laugh:

Are the shakes at Tully's still good?

Edited by Ling (log)

Try the espresso shake at B&O on capitol hill :rolleyes:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 3 weeks later...

It's not in Seattle, but if you ever find yourself half way between Olympia & Aberdeen, try the Crow's Nest Drive-In in Montesano.

Hard ice-cream, Batdorf & Bronson coffee, and a milkshake machine. Don't bother with the food though.