• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good alternative to HC rums?

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what a good, US-available alternative to Havana Club is. I am a big fan of HC 3, 7, and Anejo Reserva rums (well, I like them all, but if I had to pick...) I took a trip through my college to Havana over spring break and came back with a new respect for rum (I thought Bacardi was all there was before!)

Right now, I'm using Cruzan White and have a little Bacardi 8; I'd like a white for mojitos and sipping with a little more "distinguished" taste...maybe more burn, and more complex palate. The Cruzan is a little too fruity or something. The B8 is alright, but I'm definately not in love...it's a little too plain for my tastes.

That said, are the Matusalems (newly available around me) reasonable substitutes? I really like the general composition of the Cuban rums, which seem to be strong and complex, but not rough. Any help is appreciated...I can't get to Cuba anytime soon, and my six bottles of HC and Veradero are going FAST!!!!!

Best,

Bruce

For years Bacardi Anejo has been one of the rums I looked for. The blend bottled in Mexico is a little different from that bottled in Puerto Rico or the US and worth checking out.

In addition to the rums noted above, I'd keep an eye out for Ron Abuelo from Panama, Botran from Guatemala. I like the premium Matusalem but if falls short of HC Anejo Reserva.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks for the interesting posts, guys...

I hadn't thought of Flor de Cana, but I know that Ed speaks highly of their stuff. I wish it were possible to get miniatures of all the rums you guys mentioned...then that way I would be able to test all at the same time (and not kill my college-student budget!)

I believe another post said that Bacardi Anejo wasn't available in the states...or is that the same as Bacardi 8? The nomenclature has me a little confused...

Anyhow, a trip to a "good' store is coming soon, so I'll be stocked with good suggestions!

Best,

Bruce

Bacardi Anejo wasn't available in the states...or is that the same as Bacardi 8? The nomenclature has me a little confused...

Anejo is a very different rum, Bacardi 8 is their premium rum, Bacardi Reserva isn't imported.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

You should be able to find Bacardi Anejo in most states at larger liquor stores. It is a very overlooked product in the Bacardi lineup and one worth trying. The bottle is also different from the other Bacardi bottles, slender and slightly conical. I sip it with a little water occasionally but mostly mix this rum with a little ginger ale or fresh fruit juices.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com