• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yocco's

stanpnepa

Had lunch today at Yocco's on Hamilton in Allentown. Ordered Two dogs with everything (except cheese) and fries. My wife sided hers with pierogies.

The dog itself was well-cooked and fairly tasty, but both had skimpy servings of chili (nothing special) or onion to go along with it. Fries were standard fast-food and my wife's (Mrs. T) Pierogies were fried but varied ("one on the money, another soggy and the final too burnt").

This was Saturday lunch (a peak, I'd guess), so you think the A-team would be on-hand. Friendly, quick assembly line service, but the food was mediocre and hardly what we expected.

Was this dumb luck or is Yocco's praise unwarranted?

Count me as another who doesn't "get" Yoccos. The chili sauce is very greasy and rather flavorless. I've asked for extra sauce and it only makes the hot dog messier without adding to the taste.

I've tried Yoccos numerous times based on their reputation and several internet raves. Despite the mustard and (extra) sauce, the dogs have a very dry texture. My standard for Eastern Pennsylvania style dogs (mustard, onions, chili sauce) remains Abe's in Wilkes-Barre.

---Guy

I thought he meant Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area, not some other dog joint called Abe's.

I'm confused now.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Guy, which Abe's are you referring to? :wink: I'd vote for S. Main Street!

When I was a kid it was Abe's in Lee Park. My grandmother lived a few blocks away.

I don't remember the S. Main location. I do remember they had a location at the Crossroads for a few years, I'm pretty sure it's closed now.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I thought he meant Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area, not some other dog joint called Abe's.

I'm confused now.

Yes, the original post was referring to Allentown-etc (ABE). There happens to be a few hot dog places in the Wilkes-Barre area called Abe's, to which I was comparing Yoccos. Just a coincidence, the ABE/Abe's thing.

---Guy

Guy, which Abe's are you referring to? :wink: I'd vote for S. Main Street!

I was referring to what I think is the original one, the one on Barney St. The Abe's on S. Main is (I believe) unaffiliated with the Barney St. Abe's. I've tried S. Main a few times and wasn't very impressed.

As I'm sure you know, there's several other Abe's in the area which are affiliated with the Barney St. Abe's (Kingston, Mountaintop, W-B Rt. 309 next to the Pierogi shop, etc). The one in Mountaintop (where I live) I've stopped patronizing because the lady uses 3 times too much mustard and about 3 times too little sauce.

---Guy

...and by the way, I just got back from a trip to Wisconsin. I passed thru Toledo earlier today and found that there *really is* a place called Packos serving Hungarian Hot Dogs! I remember that from the numerous mentions on M*A*S*H, I always figured it was fictitious.

Awesome hot dog (actually a spiced sausage), best chili sauce I've ever had.

Sorry for the non-Pennsylvania report, but I thought it fit this thread pretty well.

---Guy

Yocco's doesn't really do a Chili dog. Rather the sauce is their version of Coney Island Sauce or All-The-Way sauce similar to and different from the sauce that is found at the Coney Island dog places throughout the U.S.

I think that may be why some walk away from Yocco's somewhat disappointed. For the typical east coaster, with some local area exceptions - any dog that has meat on it is taken for a chili dog. Yocco's doesn't help by calling their sauce a "chili sauce." But it is only a chili sauce in that chili powder is an ingredient.

The Yocco's dog would indeed be a medicore chili dog, by real chili dog standards. But it is a very good Coney Island style dog.

i10008.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

...and by the way, I just got back from a trip to Wisconsin.  I passed thru Toledo earlier today and found that there *really is* a place called Packos serving Hungarian Hot Dogs!  I remember that from the numerous mentions on M*A*S*H, I always figured it was fictitious.

Awesome hot dog (actually a spiced sausage), best chili sauce I've ever had.

Sorry for the non-Pennsylvania report, but I thought it fit this thread pretty well.

---Guy

A Tony Packo's Chili Dog

i10007.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I stopped at the Yocco's at 625 W. Liberty in Allentown last weekend. This location, an easy on/off from Route 22, was the closest one to my Pocono's route.

The neighborhood has seen better days - could this be the original location? - but there's free parking across the street. They don't sell pierogies at this store, so I ordered a third dog. (This store has a few tables and a beer license, but neither was part of our daytrip.)

Small, but crunchy and tasty. If you don't specify, they put yellow mustard and raw onions onto a basic roll pulled from a steamer, then add the grilled dog and the signature sauce. (Google Yocco's and you'll see some interpretations of the sauce.) OK, it's not the best I've ever had, but the fixins' and that crunchy casing add pizazz.

The cocktail sized napkins they put into the bag say Hatfield, and that third dog was just fine after I nuked is gently at home. I wish I could have one now.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I've been to Packo's also. We arrived on a Saturday night where there was a Dixieland Jazz Quartet dressed in Red Pinstripes. I thought I was in a time machine!!!

I grew up on Abe's in Kingston, PA where the chili sauce is meaty. Maybe that's what puts me off on Yocco's. Not sure, but I do know my all-time favorites have no chili at all. They are the mighty rippers at Rutt's Hut in Clifton, NJ!!

My favorite (of late) chili dogs can be found at Tony's Texas Hots in Johnson City (near Binghamton) New York. Bright Red tube steaks with a Cincinnati-style chili sauce. Really yummy!!!

• 1 year later...

I stopped at the Yocco's on rt.100 today, got a Yocco Dog:

gallery_23992_2350_14657.jpg

It was good. Not earth-shattering, but had a nice grilled snap, and the chili sauce was a nice condiment. I wouldn't make a special trip for this dog, but I'd stop if I was nearby.

Maybe I hit them at just the right moment, but the pierogis RULED!!

gallery_23992_2350_12328.jpg

They were nice and crispy, but still tender, not even a little oily, the moist potato filling tasted a little cheesey. These I'd make a special trip for.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I stopped at the Yocco's on rt.100 today, got a Yocco Dog:

gallery_23992_2350_14657.jpg

It was good.  Not earth-shattering, but had a nice grilled snap, and the chili sauce was a nice  condiment. I wouldn't make a special trip for this dog, but I'd stop if I was nearby.

Maybe I hit them at just the right moment, but the pierogis RULED!!

gallery_23992_2350_12328.jpg

They were nice and crispy, but still tender, not even a little oily, the moist potato filling tasted a little cheesey. These I'd make a special trip for.

I'm another one who just doesn't get Yocco's. I have a large client (Air Products) in Allentown and their offices are just across the street from Yocco's. I'm usually there around lunch time and stop in for a quick dog before meetings.

I've had them every way possible just to see what all the fuss is about and can say the only thing I really like about them is that crunchy texture due to the casings used. It's really a mediocre dog imo. Nothing worthy of going out of one's way for.

I will have to try the pierogi's next time.

I've had them every way possible just to see what all the fuss is about and can say the only thing I really like about them is that crunchy texture due to the casings used. It's really a mediocre dog imo. Nothing worthy of going out of one's way for.

Yet I do, every time I head to Wilkes-Barre and points north. A relatively easy detour off the Northeast extension. And in my opinion a dog worth driving the extra miles for.

And next time definitely try the Pierogies.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Okay. Since we dug this one up with the Waybackhoe™, lemme put in my two cents.

I don't get the fuss, either. I tried them on the way to Kutztown one day. I've had better Coney Island/Texas Hots at any one of a dozen different places across Central PA, although the option of pierogies saved the trip for the missus.

Gimme two chili dogs from Texas Weiners on Snyder Ave. in Philly, or even a hail-mary drive to a Hoffman's while visiting relatives in upstate NY, but Yocco's is a taste that I don't think I'll ever develop.

Okay. Since we dug this one up with the Waybackhoe™, lemme put in my two cents.

I don't get the fuss, either. I tried them on the way to Kutztown one day. I've had better Coney Island/Texas Hots at any one of a dozen different places across Central PA, although the option of pierogies saved the trip for the missus.

Gimme two chili dogs from Texas Weiners on Snyder Ave. in Philly, or even a hail-mary drive to a Hoffman's while visiting relatives in upstate NY, but Yocco's is a taste that I don't think I'll ever develop.

Haven't tried Yocco's since I'm rarely in that neck of the woods, but I'm right there with 'ya on the Texas Weiners Chili dogs. They're really good!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yet I do, every time I head to Wilkes-Barre and points north.  A relatively easy detour off the Northeast extension.  And in my opinion a dog worth driving the extra miles for.

Holly: All I can say is next time you head to Wilkes-Barre you need to skip Yoccos and try Abe's.

---Guy

Alright....is there any anyone who has an opinion on the ORIGINAL Coney Island in Scranton? (the one under the railroad bridge).

There are those who would jam a pencil in the eye of their best friend for two with everything.

Alright....is there any anyone who has an opinion on the ORIGINAL Coney Island in Scranton?  (the one under the railroad bridge). 

There are those who would jam a pencil in the eye of their best friend for two with everything.

I believe the original Coney Island is called Nathan's. (Well, that's not really right. The original was Feltman's who sold franks for a dime; Nathan Handwerker, an employee, went out on his own and priced his dogs at a nickel.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report