• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh My from O Mai! Raw Meat for Pho?

DutchMuse

I ordered Pho last night from O Mai on Ninth Avenue. Always great food; always high quality.

As usual, the broth was in one container, the noodles and meat were in another. What was weird was the meat (beef) was completely (and I do mean completely) raw. Not just seared lightely, I mean raw as in uncooked.

I thought this was weird, but maybe its the way Pho is to be served? I just couldn't eat it this way. I sauteed the beef myself and put it in the broth.

Did the restaurant make a mistake? Just thought it was odd.

Edited by DutchMuse (log)

Raw beef thinly sliced, is the ideal way to serve Pho. The beef is supposed to get lightly cooked from the hot broth.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As already stated, your pho was delivered correctly! When I get it to go, I usually just heat up the broth on the stove before putting the meat in; that way, there are no worries!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If the broth wasn't piping hot when you got it, the restaurant goofed. Yes, it's usual for the beef to arrive raw, as the others have already stated.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think it was delivered, Pan, that would explain the coolness, if it was so.

I almost always nuke it for a bit, 30 seconds or so (as long as its in a microwave safe bowl, of course!).

(I would stove it, but alas, poor college student! :sad: )

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Whenever I get pho for takeout, I always pop the broth in the microwave to get it hot again and then stir in the raw beef.

If you are weary about the raw beef, you can get it without it. I think on most menus its called "fresh eye of beef"? (not 100% sure) Just order the one that say well done eye of beef or something similar

I think it was delivered, Pan, that would explain the coolness, if it was so.

Yeah. It's always a good idea for me to pay full attention to what I'm responding to, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Michael aka "Pan"

To correct any misunderstanding, the broth was hot when it was delivered. I was just concerned if it was hot enough to 'book' raw beef.

Went to O Mai last night for dinner (up to now, had just had delivery from them) and the food was terrific. They are outstanding.