• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Rums

Susan in FL

As explained in my post in the Ministry of Rum forum, my husband brought home a zillion miniatures of flavored rums, like different brands of coconut, banana, mango, orange, vanilla, spiced, raspberry, lemon, pineapple, etc. (more than I ever knew existed!) and I'm looking for cocktail recipes or ideas. Ed suggested that maybe regulars in this forum could help me. Thanks!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Despite Bacardi, Mt. Gay and Malibu have flavoured rums, their websites lack recipes for them.

Try: http://www.cruzanrum.com/recipes.html

[if that doesn't work, just go to: http://www.cruzanrum.com and select "recipes"]

In all honesty, they don't sell well at the bars with exception to Malibu (the regular coconut flavoured Carribean rum), and even the longer lived (in comparison to the new vanilla, chocolate, mango, etc. flavours) Bacardi O and Bacardi Limone have been sitting in our liquor room and bar speed rails collecting dust.

Experiment and have fun.

I do know that Bacardi O and Limone make their own, resectively, excellent mojito variations.

edit to add: for some coconut rum recipes, check out: http://www.malibu-rum.com and select "Bump and Grind time" where the small window depicts an island at night time. (I find their website a bit infuriating and/or frustrating to navigate). Move your mouse over the structures and one of them (not sure which one) will be a link to a bunch of recipes with coconut rum.

Edited by beans (log)

well its a bit of a cop-out but alot of those will make a delicious daiquiri, especially the vanilla.

try a vanilla na dfresh ginger daiquiri as well.

caipirinha style is another way of playing around w flavoured rums.

did a orange creamsicle a while back which was basically a daiquiri made with bacardi 8 and clement creole shrub - a orange flavoured rum/liqueur w a couple of dashes of a nice dry orange bitters (la fee vs hoppe)

you could also try a old fashioned style drink with some of the more traditional flavours.

pineaPPLE HAS A STRANGE HABIT OF GOING REALLY WELL WITH BASIL, believe it or not, something w that caip style or mojito style could work well.

always fun getting new stuff to play with!

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

Pineapple rum, muddled mint and Bitter Lemon soda. Muy refrescoso!

Mango rum, orange juice & an optional splash of triple sec. Shake and strain into cocktail glass. Top with sparkling wine and a little splash of pomegranate juice to take the sweet edge off it.

Coconut rum and any other tropical juice flavor you like: pineapple, guava, pasisonafruit, mango. Go nuts!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Despite Bacardi, Mt. Gay and Malibu have flavoured rums, their websites lack recipes for them.

Last month I tried the new Mt Gay flavors and couldn't tell what they were supposed to be, even after I looked at the bottles I couldn't tell what was supposed to be what flavor. And Malibu should stay with their Coconut, unless they bring back their lime, which was good but discontinued. Try these at a bar and see if they catch your fancy before you decide to bring some flavor to your bar.

Does anyone find these to be good?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

flavoured mount gay?

bacadi O?

malibu lime?

its not fair you guys get all the new toys to play with.

you guys use KOKO KANU? much stonger than malibu (40%?) and nowhere near as sweet.

its the only coconut rum we can use after all those dodgy essex girls w short skirts and no morals started drinkng malibu and cokes (either that or archers and lemonade, maybe its an english thing, and i'm not even english, god i've been here to long!)

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

Thanks for all the suggestions, and any others, feel free to post. We still have lots more to use up. Last night our drinks before a Cuban style dinner were a Caribbean Cosmo and a Jump Up Banana-Nana from this Cruzan link. (Thanks, Beans!)

Several of the miniatures are Cruzan, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to what brands we used, thinking I probably won't buy flavored rum on purpose in the future. However, these mixed drinks tasted mighty good! The pleasant surprise to me was that they were not overly sweet.

Mt Gay flavors...  Does anyone find these to be good?

None of our flavored rums are Mt Gay. Most of them are Cruzan, Bacardi, and Captain Morgan Parrot Bay. There are a few others including Kuya and Admiral Nelson, and I'm ignoring the spiced ones so far. I was really turned off by spiced rums after my husband brought home -- my goodness, I just realized, do we have a pattern here? -- a bottle of Dogfish Head Wit Spiced Rhum. That was nasty, and it was a full size bottle.

Another problem for me is that I don't like coconut anything. I've tried, but so far I just have not been able to acquire a taste for it. It's the only part of "Floribbean" foods I don't like, so we must change that.

There are several we're considering playing with this afternoon... the ideas of pineapple and fresh basil, vanilla and ginger (I made ginger syrup last week), creamsicle type things, and topping with sparkling wine appeal to me.

I'll report back after more of this exhaustive research. :wacko:

Today's rum drinks were experimental. I added a bit of orange-flavored to my Mimosa this morning, and this afternoon I made us a frozen slushy drink of fresh pineapple and watermelon, with pineapple-flavored and basil. A part of this that I'm enjoying as much as anything is how pretty they are.

• 1 month later...

And so it continues. The flavored rums are still not gone. Though pretty, most of the drinks using flavored rums haven't been anything to write home about (aka post on eG about). Last night before dinner I made a Marina Rita. Obviously this was a recipe from the Cruzan web site, although I'm not sure if these miniatures were Cruzan. It was one of the best tasting... not overly sweet, and it was cold and refreshing. Nice with the Pico de Gallo I made, and chips!

1 oz. Cruzan Citrus Rum "Junkanu"

1 oz. Orange Cruzan Rum

Lime Juice

Sour mix

Combine ingredients with ice and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve in a salt-rimmed glass [i didn't use salt and I couldn't find a Margarita glass] with a lime wedge.

i11920.jpg