• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marlin.... talk to me about this fish

Anna N

Asked The Dane to pick up something for dinner on his way home last night. He fancied fish and we like to try different varieties so when he spotted Marlin at the fish counter he bought two boneless steaks.

I tossed them on the grill but they were really "chewy". They did not seem overcooked as they were still quite moist. Is this the nature of the beast? What do you do with Marlin?

We left quite a bit of it so it's going into a chowder for lunch today but is there a way to treat this fish that is different from most other fish?

Thanks, as always, for some enlightenment.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've mentioned on my website that Marlin is a tricky fish. We prefer it cooked longer than tuna, but it toughens dreadfully if you go too far. Grilling on a high heat is fine but you must leave it rare.

i9929.jpg

If you can't bear it rare, try cooking it on in oil or fat at 80C, or resting it in a hot oven for a little while.

Really, if you don't like it rare, choose swordfish instead.

Thanks, Steve. By your photo ours was definitely overcooked! Since I am not a fan of rare fish, I will likely give it a miss next time. Still glad I tried it.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Actually... Marlin should not be kept but should be released if caught by a sport fisherman. However, there is quite a by-catch by the longliners so I guess that it is best not to waste it. It really isn't that good to eat. About the only way I have had it that I really liked was smoked. Back in the days when fishing tournaments weren't catch and release, someone would usually have a big smoker set up and all kinds of hunks of fish were smoked. A really inspired cook would have the fish taco makings handy.

I will have to give the rare fish bit a pass as well so any finny friend that isn't so good cooked is probably off my menu.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

From www.tunaresearch.org:

In the past decade, sport fishermen have strongly supported the tag and release of blue marlin. The release ethic was developed in response to the over-fishing of many marine resources.

In 1997, the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT) adopted its first-ever-international recommendations for billfish conservation calling for reductions in blue marlin landings. The recommendation called upon both commercial and recreational fishers to reduce fishing effort and billfish landings and in effect promotes release of the fish. The recommendations follow recent assessments, which indicate the Atlantic blue marlin stocks are in a decline. U.S. fisheries operating in Atlantic waters comply with ICCAT recommendations and currently release most live marlin.

In the Pacific, blue marlin is also caught incidentally on tuna and swordfish longlines and is sometimes released. Tag and release has been prominent among recreational fishers throughout the Pacific (led by Australia and New Zealand fishers) and more recently, the Kona recreational fishery has begun to emerge as a proponent of the tag and release of blue marlin.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Smoked marlin is divine. If you don't want to eat it rare, put it in some water with salt and sugar, some sliced onion, cracked allspice and pepper, maybe some lemon or lime zest, and some white rum. Sort of an escabeche. But then you pull it out a few hours later and cook it as you did before. . . though you could do it on the grill, in a pan or broiled. Should end up very nice. Doesn't have to be rare but you shouldn't go too far with it. Marlin is considered a game fish because it's a fighter. Strong as hell and a very fast swimmer. This translates to muscley. And not much oil. It's a difficult proposition for cooking. Gotta take extraordinary measures for success. The best form I've had it in is brined for a short time in a jerkish solution and then cold smoked. Good luck.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly did know it was considered an endangered species - on the fish counter one doesn't see anything to suggest this. But, as someone remarked, this one was well past being released since it was already cut up into steaks. :sad:

My 2004 eG Blog

Marlin from the Atlantic is in trouble in some places and I believe isn't allowed to be sold in the USA.

Marlin from the Pacific is allowed to be sold though.

The toughest Marlin is probably Striped but none are particularly tasty table fare-coarse dry flesh characterizes Marlin.

Lots of Info Here None of it Cheery

Thanks!

I pose no threat to the continued existence of marlin. Even in my favourite "Crammed Chowder" it remained rather dull and boring if a bit less chewy. :biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog