• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Knoxville-looking for yummy eats

handmc

Going to Knoxville for four days next week. Where are the yummy places to eat?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I don't know what sort of food you are looking for, but if you are in the mood for one of the best burgers ever, you need to go to Litton's. They are a market/restaurant located on Essary Rd., in the Fountain City area of Knoxville. Litton's is locally owned and very much a family/neighborhood type place. I literally have dreams about their burgers...they are that good! They also have great desserts. I tend to go for the turtle brownie (two layers of pecan-laden brownie, sandwiching a gooey layer of caramel), unless they have Baby Jane...their delicious version of a strawberry shortcake. Hmmm.....I may have to make the drive to Knoxville soon! Oh, they are closed on Sunday's.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in Knoxville area this week. Is there anyplace that is not to miss?

Thanks!

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Go to Tomato Head on the Mall Downtown--good brunch as well as dinner pizza, sandwiches and salads.

I really think Knoxville may be lacking in the "fine dining" experience area--I lived there for years in the 90's and when I was there last October, not much had changed.

Fierydrunk, there is a excellent fine dining restaurant semi new to Knoxville. It's been here a little over a year I believe. Little Star, 5003 Kingston Pike, 588-0210

The chef Chris Stallard use to be at the Orangery. His menu is prex fix, and I belive for $35.00 (more if you add wines) you get a 4 or 5 course meal that is very innovative. Everything we've eaten there so far has been outstanding. You couldn't touch this price for a prex fix in NYC or Chicago with the quality of food he's delivering.

They are closed on Sunday and Monday's and reservations are recommended.

They also have a web site at www.littlestardining.com

Some other favorites of ours:

Copper Cellar/ Cappacino's, for Prime Rib and exellent raw oysters!

Littons in Fountian City, burger's and cheescake

Edison Steak House in Farragut

Bistro by the Tracks, shrimp and grits

Taste of Thia

Linderhoff's, Germen food in Farragut

Tiajuana Taco's

Aubrey's, for the Rajun Cajun Chicken pasta

Naples Italian, for the veal saltimbocca

Mango's

Stir Fry Cafe

Edited by Smoky "T" (log)

• 5 months later...

Hi all

taking a ride from NJ to Knoxville in June looking for your best advice for real local style food. We wont be doing the fine dining thing, just want the best you can get wearing jeans and having "helmet hair". Dont know where we are staying yet but the event we are attending is at Chillhowie Park with touring rides toward Deals Gap etc....

Maybe some BBQ some great homestyle B'fasts etc

links to local maps and hotel suggestions always welcome too

tracey

garden state motorcycle association

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Maybe some BBQ some great homestyle B'fasts etc

links to local maps and hotel suggestions always welcome too

Assuming that you have checked out some of the links above in this thread, yes? Lot of good ideas for all types of dining, yes, even with 'helmet hair'! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the lists and even went forwards backwards and sideways to other websites.....I even found a dissertation on which BBQ is prefered by black and white people.

Now while Chiles, Perkins and Crackerbarrel are all good I am really looking for the places that "you" the resident or frequent shopper actually goes to. So far the only definates I have is Littons burger and maybe Sonic just cause we dont have any here...(dont know where you would stick the tray on a motorcycle though :blink: ).

I want the dumps that have the amazing.......whatever

Like Kinchley's Pizza in Ramsey NJ thin crust pies ...they have a Clydesdale on the roof...dont know why

or Syds in Union with cracked covers on the counterstools and awsome hotdogs

I also may have a free day alone with no vehicle since I refuse to be a passenger on the "tail of the dragon" ride over Deals Gap....any ideas

thank you

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association