• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for a good reasonably priced dinner

Hi,

A friend of mine is treating 4 of us to dinner tonight and I promised to pick a nice place for us to go. At least 2 of us are fairly discerning foodies and would rather pay for food than ambience. Also 2 of the 4 are vegetarians. Any ideas for a nice dinner that wont break the bank... am hoping for something that wont cost more than $40-$50 per person w/ wine.

Thanks a ton in advance,

worm@work

None of the people are big drinkers and are unlikely to drink more than a glass of wine each. The real focus would be on the food. The veggie thread is really useful. Am tempted to do Lola since I have been meaning to go there myself ever since I heard about it. WOuld it fit into the budget if we just had a glass of the house wine or some such?

thanks a ton,

worm@work

A couple possibilities, both on Eastlake....

Porta (Greek) and Pomodoro (Italian/Spanish). Two great value restaurants that will offer you a decent selection of affordable wines.

You could consider Crave also, I enjoyed dinner there very much.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

depends on what kind of vegetarians you're talking about, but i'm a pescatarian and i recently tried 35th street bistro and loved it. it's in the old still life space in fremont, they kept all the mismatched chairs and tables but added tableclothes + minimal, tasteful, french bistro-esque decor. one chef is from dahlia and the other is the former owner/chef from boat street cafe. i had the tuna and it was absolutely wonderful. my friend had their special of the night, which was a salmon preparation that involved mushrooms... sorry, i can't remember the details but i do recall that mushrooms (good ones, tons of variety) played a part in about 3/4 of the dishes. entrees are in the 15-20 range, and there are also great appetizers and do check out the cheese selection. my friend and i loved everything we had, and we've both been recommending it to others. the atmosphere is very quiet and peaceful, not at all the boho clammor of still life---not that that was bad, but this is very different.

would love to hear if others have fared as well there.

depends on what kind of vegetarians you're talking about, but i'm a pescatarian and i recently tried 35th street bistro and loved it. it's in the old still life space in fremont, they kept all the mismatched chairs and tables but added tableclothes + minimal, tasteful, french bistro-esque decor. one chef is from dahlia and the other is the former owner/chef from boat street cafe. i had the tuna and it was absolutely wonderful. my friend had their special of the night, which was a salmon preparation that involved mushrooms... sorry, i can't remember the details but i do recall that mushrooms (good ones, tons of variety) played a part in about 3/4 of the dishes. entrees are in the 15-20 range, and there are also great appetizers and do check out the cheese selection. my friend and i loved everything we had, and we've both been recommending it to others. the atmosphere is very quiet and peaceful, not at all the boho clammor of still life---not that that was bad, but this is very different.

WOW thanks for this report grilledcheese. I had no idea the Still Life closed... and I'm so glad to have found where the owner/chef from Boat St. ended up. This is now on my list! Do they do breakfast??

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

WOW thanks for this report grilledcheese. I had no idea the Still Life closed... and I'm so glad to have found where the owner/chef from Boat St. ended up. This is now on my list! Do they do breakfast??

Hmm, I keep hearing that Renee consulted to the Owner - is she actually working there (maybe temporarily?) Sounded like she (they) is still looking for a new home for Boat St Cafe. Weekend brunch, yes.

Weekly review

Do they do breakfast??

they do indeed do brunch. the old takeout counter is gone and has been replaced with a bar - so the days of oaty scones and takeaway coffee are gone - it's definitely trying to eradicate the expectations people might still have about the space. i had brunch there on saturday. i had a nicoise salad with real tuna that was excellent. also on the menu was eggs benedict, a strata, a soup, french toast...upscale brunch. my one quibble was that the service was glacial. nice but sooo slow. still - i'd have that nicoise again in a heartbeat. some just wrote an article about it. i'll see if i can find it.

edit - i see tsquare found it -- lightening speed!

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train