• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Hallmark St Jame's

Ed Hamilton

i9942.jpg

Has anyone heard of, or seen this? Bottled at 46% alcohol in a bottle that has CLYDEFORTH PACKAGING CO LTD. and LIQUOR BOTTLE SCOTLAND embossed on the bottom.

The front label says Distilled in 1980 Bottled in 2000. Product of Guyana.

Cork and wood closure with a metal seal.

The color is copper tinted amber and the first aroma speaks Jamaica to me more than the smoky Demerara nose we have come to expect from other Demerara rums.

Roasted coconut on the palate with more tropical oil than smoky oak. Hints of roasted nuts, cooked apple, toffee and a viscous vanilla flavor on the finish.

Very smooth, drinkable but slightly shallow in depth of flavor profile. Lighter in character than expected from a 20 year old Demerara Rum but at $21, including tax, in Chicago this may become another rum to keep on the shelf. Definitely mature but not over the hill.

I don't know where this has been for the last four years while it's been in the bottle and I won't speculate.

I also saw a bottle by the same company that was Jamaican rum but didn't pursue it.

There is a Vintage Hallmark of St James website but I didn't find this rum. Maybe I'm too busy assessing the offering.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

The bottling is described in the 2004 July issue of "Got rum" at

http://www.rumshop.net/newsletters/july2004.pdf

"Hallmark Demerara 1980 - Guyana

Hallmark Demerara Rum 1980 (92-Proof, 20 Year Old).

Distilled in 1980 and bottled in 2000.

This rum’s color is copper-amber, eager to shimmer under the lightest provocation,

very inviting.

The aroma is a well-balanced combination of oak and currants, very brandy-like. The taste is equally superb, with a harmonious blend of wet oak, nutmeg and a hint of vanilla. The finish is delicate and predominantly oaky. A fine rum to sip after a meal, with or without the company of

a fine cigar."

They also describe the 17 year old Jamaican you mention and a 25 year old 90-proof Demerara Rum.