• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pocket knife

evilhomer

I've been eating some combination of these for lunch most every day and find that in situ assembly is obviously best. I've taken a paring knife but i feel a bit silly bringing that and anything i've ever taken camping has been cheap shite that rusts away in a season so i'm ready to take the plunge and purchase something worthwhile and of course i turn here for advice. Ideally it would not exceed 4", fold shut and lock open. Also, some of these online seem rather pricey, how much ought something like this reasonably cost (there is no such thing as reasonable cost when dealing with cooking knives)

thanks

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

I've been eating some combination of these for lunch most every day and find that in situ assembly is obviously best. I've taken a paring knife but i feel a bit silly bringing that and anything i've ever taken camping has been cheap shite that rusts away in a season so i'm ready to take the plunge and purchase something worthwhile and of course i turn here for advice. Ideally it would not exceed 4", fold shut and lock open. Also, some of these online seem rather pricey, how much ought something like this reasonably cost (there is no such thing as reasonable cost when dealing with cooking knives)

thanks

I've been carrying a knife very similar to this since I was about 10 (similar because I don't see the exact model I have blade-wise, but the size is the same and the main two blades are also the same). Very convenient for everything, not just food.

...i'm ready to take the plunge and purchase something worthwhile and of course i turn here for advice. Ideally it would not exceed 4", fold shut and lock open...

Spyderco makes high-quality folding, locking-blade pocketknives.

Many of them can be ordered with serrated edges, perfect for thinly slicing a tomato or halving a bagel. A miniature all-stainless-steel Spyderco knife with a curved, serrated blade (the "Cricket") has been my standard take-everywhere-but-airplanes pocketknife for years now, and has sliced everything from bread to sausages. Highly practical. Doesn't look "scary," isn't very big, but will cut anything.

Whether you get a stainless blade or not, the steel Spyderco uses is of very high quality. They are offered with plastic (reinforced nylon) or steel handles (plastic makes for a much lighter overall knife but is still quite sturdy.) It's been years since I bought mine, but I'd guess one of these guys could be had for between $40 (plastic handle) and $75 (steel handle) at retail. They can often be found at quite decent discounts online.

Hope this helps.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

There is a Leatherman 'chef' folding knife available. Do NOT recommend it. The knife had some serious access problems, it was terrifying to work with. And everyone who said, "Here, let me do that.", also wound up bleeding! I'm going to follow this thread, because that knife is no longer in my possession! :shock:

i've had a couple of these over the years:

clickety

one caveat--if you carry it constantly, try to remember to divest yourself before you get to the airport! :blink:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Spyderco or Opinel will be the least expensive choices. Kershaw also makes a decent lower priced locking blade pocket knife. Try the chive or the leek. These are designed by a guy named Ken Onion, thus the names. click

The Buck stockman is a nice knife but does not lock open. There are a lot of choices out there. Try here for some advice on other choices.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

I've had a Spyderco Police Model for about 15 years now. The current version of it does not appear to be available with a hard rubber handle, which I much prefer. I originally purchased it for sailing, but carry it everywhere now. It clips to the inside of my jeans pocket and is available with a flick of the wrist.

Jim

Check out the BOA with partially serrated edge. I have this knife and it is a winner.

For $29.00 you get a very versatile knife that will hold an edge longer than other knives.

It too is designed by Ken Onion.

The item # is KS-1640BST Partially Serrated BladeAdam's Cutlery

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm surprised the Leatherman chef knife is so bad. I have a smaller multi-purpose Leatherman and often use the little knife to cut up my lunch when I forget to bring a "real" knife. Easy to use, sharp, and wipes clean afterwards. It's way too short a blade for cutting tomatoes though--plus it's not serrated.

Both Buck and Gerber have mini folders that have stainless blades and nylon handles that lock open. The cost is less than 20$ so you won't have an attack when airport security confiscates it.

Cakes

I got Gerber steak knives as a wedding gift; they lasted about six months before the satin edge peeled off. They wouldn't take an edge. The distributor did not back up the product. I still have the carving set, unused after 25 years...

My friends call me a knife knutt but, in realality I'm just a steel dust junkie :shock:

Joe Talmadge knife FAQ's are a wealth of knowledge for the unitiated.

From what you posted, I would suggest a Gerber Gator in ATS-34 which should run ~$50 at Wal-mart and similar places. It is a lockback so, it will not close on your finger without some fundamental user error (i.e. its a pretty safe knife to use). Its thin profile and good edge geometery make it a good cutting tool for bread, tomatoes, sausages, etc. I like its wide profile because it "self aligns" when you cut something thick - you get nice straight cuts. It also spreads butter and cream cheese much better then a blade that is not as wide.

A plain edge Spyderco is a good choice too. Personally, I like the VG-10 bladed models but, there is nothing wrong with the cheaper AUS-6 knives either.

Stay Sharp,

Sid

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...2498#long_descr

Ideally it would not exceed 4", fold shut and lock open. Also, some of these online seem rather pricey, how much ought something like this reasonably cost (there is no such thing as reasonable cost when dealing with cooking knives)

How about a basic, good quality Swiss Army knife? And with it, you get other handy tools. Like a corkscrew. :cool:

I love my little Swiss Army knife but there are too many nooks and crannies for using on food every day. That is why I recommended the Buck or Gerber; you could toss them in the dishwasher or scrub them up with a brush.

Cakes

...i'm ready to take the plunge and purchase something worthwhile and of course i turn here for advice.  Ideally it would not exceed 4", fold shut and lock open...

Many of them can be ordered with serrated edges, perfect for thinly slicing a tomato or halving a bagel. A miniature all-stainless-steel Spyderco knife with a curved, serrated blade (the "Cricket") has been my standard take-everywhere-but-airplanes pocketknife for years now, and has sliced everything from bread to sausages. Highly practical. Doesn't look "scary," isn't very big, but will cut anything.

Whether you get a stainless blade or not, the steel Spyderco uses is of very high quality. They are offered with plastic (reinforced nylon) or steel handles (plastic makes for a much lighter overall knife but is still quite sturdy.) It's been years since I bought mine, but I'd guess one of these guys could be had for between $40 (plastic handle) and $75 (steel handle) at retail. They can often be found at quite decent discounts online.

Hope this helps.

I'm with you. Spyderco makes some of the finest pocket knives (for the money) in the world. I have been carrying a smooth edge version of this model in my front pocket for at least ten years. The knives are tough and the blades hold up well. Just a bit of work with my swell Lansky Knife Sharpeners and you are good to go. I like the one hand opeining feature (on all of their knives) as well.

I used to be able to get away with carrying it onto the plane, but no more. Gotta send it through in checked luggage these days. :angry:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The SAK (Swiss Army Knife :D) is a favorite of mine. A knife like the Victorinox Spartan is relatively cheap and definitely non-threatening for office use. The toothpick and tweezers are certainly a handy feature and, while in Europe I actually used the Corkscrew at the youth Hostel :biggrin:.

The original poster wanted something that locked open so, most of the Victorinox knives are ruled out by that request. Also, the Victorinox Spartan does not pass the "cream cheese" test. Yes it will spread cream cheese and butter but, its narrower blade profile does not give it enough surface area to make spreading this out on a bagel easy or convenient (it does slice a bagel in half real well :wink:).

I second the Opinel suggestion. Cheap and durable. Can't do better for a picnic knife.

a medium sized (c. 4.5" blade) opinel. that's what i bring for picnics or when gathering mushrooms etc.

i always carry the swiss army thing for all the other tools one may need.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.