• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Cachaça

Hi Max,

I can tell you that both the SAQ and the LCBO carried a variety of cachaça in 2002. I noticed in mid-2003 that both had dropped it from their lists. I have one bottle that I am carfully nursing. I suggest you take a 2-day trip to New York state and bring back 2 duty-free bottles.

sorry I can't be more helpful :sad:

Hi Max,

I wrote the SAQ in May 2004 - they reported that they were ordering 200 cases for early summer - it never arrived.

I re-wrote them in June asking what happened - they told me they were ordering 50 cases with an expected arrival of late summer.

I inquired as to whether I could order a case on my own - no reply on this question.

I have discovered that the SAQ does carry a similar spirit called Martinik - again sugar cane based. It has a slightly more floral aroma - but makes a passable Capirhinia. Retails for $30 a bottle.

Would still like it if the SAQ would get with the program - their listings for most spirits rarely passes beyong the pedestrian (would like to see more estate rums, cacacha, premium tequelas, etc.)

- J

thank J,

I guess I should be posting this is carswell's SAQre Bleu! thread, but I think if they don't order it, then they shouldn't bar others from selling it. I've tried Martinik and it doesn't have the kick.

Alas, once the SAQ realises that there's more to alcohol than wine (and wine/vodka coolers) then I'll stop purchasing outside the province.

I guess I'll hound my local store for more info. Thanks again for the heads up.

• 1 year later...

Cachaca Fazenda Mae De Ouro has made an offering to SAQ through a broker there but they have been on strike. Our may be the only Alimbique cachaca (copper pot still distilled) that passes Canadian health requirements of zero copper content. Traces of copper in alcohol has been shown to be toxic, so even though we're not required to we filter it out for all our cachaca products.

Traces of copper are toxic? Copper is an essential nutrient. Is it really the copper that's toxic, or is it the other part of the copper compound?

Michael aka "Pan"

Good point - the US RDA is 2mg per day for copper. My producer however tells me that some government study in Canada found copper (perhaps after it reacts with alcohol?) to be unhealthy and therefore prohibited in spirits. I have only been able to find this reference to about wine:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2004/2004...l/regle2-e.html

"— Fining agents: acacia gum at a maximum level of use consistent with good manufacturing practice; and copper sulphate such that the maximum level of copper shall not exceed 0.0001 percent in the finished product;"

Anyone know about this product? Is it really apple-flavoured? Or is that just some SAQ flunkie's attempt at describing an obscure spirit?

Cachaça Canna Schnaps eau-de-vie aromatisée Brésil

Product Code: 10232770

UPC: 00839043 000315 

$32.75

Category: Eau-de-Vie

Nature: Sugar cane eau-de-vie

Format: 750 ML

Producer/Supplier: Clamore Industria e Comércio Ltda

Color: Not applicable

Alcoholic Strength: 42 %

Aroma: apple

Particularity: Kosher

It's in a lot of Montreal-area outlets. For a complete listing, go to www.saq.com > enter the product code in the search box > click Succursales > select the region (e.g. La grande région de Montréal) > click the Rechercher button.

hmmmm...good question, Carswell: Does it smell like apple?

I don't think so. It's one of my fave drinks...I discovered it while living in NYC for the last 3 years and it instantly became one of my fave cocktails.

It's possible that on its own, it would have an apple aroma to it, but each time I've had it, the only scent I've experienced is the yummy aroma of plenty of freshly squeezed limes (the way it should be prepared -- don't ever let anyone make one for you using that pre-mix lime junk!). :shock:

I've had the same problem trying to find Cachaca in T.O....and Montreal, for that matter...and I've tried Martinik and was not moved by it at all. Almost too fragrant.

I'm afraid that for now, the remedy is to make a Gotham (or at least NY State) invasion and stock up!!! I intend to do that in December...and will surely stock up on the fantastic array of Cava selections while I'm down there, too!

Nothing beats Astor Wine + Spirits at St. Marks Place! (kick-butt Sake selections, too!). :raz:

Bonne chance...and pleeze, all of you Cachaca lovahs: If you find some of the good stuff on Cdn turf, do let us know!

cava_girl

Ooops! Just noticed that you had referred to a "schnaps" variety of this liqueur. Thought you were asking about pure Cachaca.

Then my answer to that is:

Anything's possible! :blink:

(sorry -- not into schnaps -- and have never heard of a Cachaca-related one).

Bonne chance,

cava_girl

Edited by cava_girl (log)

I've had the same problem trying to find Cachaca in T.O....and Montreal, for that matter...and I've tried Martinik and was not moved by it at all.  Almost too fragrant.

While the LBCO website lists two cachaças

PITÚ CACHACA DO BRASIL

Brazil | UNDERBERG AG

LCBO 600833 | 750 mL | $ 24.95

PRATA CACHACA (YPIOCA)

Brazil | Ypioca Agroindustrial Ltda.

VINTAGES 923896 | 1000 mL | $ 30.30

both appear to be sold out. How strange is that? Maybe the Brazilian community should protest. All they'd have to do is claim ethnic discrimination. The media would jump on it and the odds are good that the LCBO and SAQ would scramble to cover their asses.

Its funny that something so rare is used to clean some parts in Brasil. I guess its not high brow enough and native drinkers know that the prices are outrageous.

Unfortunately (for the QC tax dept) I brought some back from NYC and even scored some bottles from Brasil on my last trip.....now to only find authentic absinthe....but those caiparinhas tasted really good last weekend....almost an ode to summer.

State-ownership has its advantages, but in cases like this it doesn't make sense.