• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak Marinade

Beto

Can someone help me out here?

I'm going to grill some steaks tomorrow. I'm not too sure exactly what cut they are since I didn't buy them, but they are pretty lean. I plan on marinating them in lime juice, garlic, cumin, cilantro and olive oil. Will the lime juice help tenderize the meat or should I add some meat tenderizer a few minutes prior to grilling?

Thanks in advance.

Pineapple juice (canned) DEFINATELY tenderizes the steaks, but some people don't like the flavor.

Personally, I like to eat steak (thinly sliced skirt, etc) with lime juice and black pepper mixed together, but only after the steak is cooked.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

The citrus acid actually denaturizes the proteins in the meat. Did I just say that? I did learn something in school. I would suggest tenderizing with a mallot instead and then using the lime after grilling.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

The real "secret" is to use a meat jaccarder. http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=...gory_Code=G14-7

You jaccard both directions one time. You don't want to do this to much or you will end up with ground meat. You then put the meat in your marinade. Since it now has the connective tissue broken down, the marinade is much more efficient.

Never trust a skinny chef

I thought canned pineapple doesn't tenderize that well because the activity of the tenderizing enzyme (papain) is reduced significantly. Fresh pineapple and papaya work well because they contain the active enzyme (which is a protease, so it chops up proteins).

Your marinade sounds good. I'd pound the meat a bit if you really think it needs it; I don't like the mushiness that meat tenderizer can induce. The best solution is to use tender meat.

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue

Acid of this sort will tenderize up to a point. Then it begins to have an effect that dries out the meat and makes it tough. This is why something like sauerbraten is tricky. You have the get the marinating "window" right. Too short, the meat isn't tender enough. Too long, it's dry, tasteless, and tough.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I thought canned pineapple doesn't tenderize that well because the activity of the tenderizing enzyme (papain) is reduced significantly.  Fresh pineapple and papaya work well because they contain the active enzyme (which is a protease, so it chops up proteins).

This is correct, although the acid in the pineapple juice will have some effect on breaking down the tissue. But the papain (and bromide, IIRC) which occur naturally in Pineapple Juice, are essentially deactivated upon pasteurization so using canned juice won't have the desired effect.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com