• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Favorite Diet Soda

Radio7

I recently found out that if you are getting your soda from a fountain that if you fill the cup most of the way with Diet Pepsi, but put in about an inch or so of regular Pepsi, it really cuts the artificially sweet taste. I love this. It's even better than regular Pepsi.

I do everything in my power not to drink anything from a fountain. Not only is the carbonation almost always screwed up, the proportions of syrup to water can vary dramatically. But I know a lot of people who use the mostly-diet-with-a-splash-of-regular trick.

Ting. OH. :wub: El Rey de soda.... I keep 2 bottles in the fridge at all times. I'm currently on Atkins, but in case of emergency, break glass....

I just can't get through diet sodas because of the aftertaste, and am growing fonder of flavored seltzers. But I am curious on anyones thoughts

about Equal and Splenda....I did a blind tasting last week with a friend; diluted 1 packet each to 1 ounce of water. Equal won, hands down....

What is your preference?

I'm trying to curb my soda intake and go for the diet stuff. A friend recommended Diet Rite because they use splenda and I liked it. Never looked to see what Fresca uses but that has always been a refereshing drink though I'm not big on the grapefruit taste.

The worst I've tried however is Diet Pepsi and I like regular Pepsi. Absolutely no taste to it at all I thought.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

• 2 months later...
I don't go for the diet sodas because of the taste that it leaves in your mouth. I tend to stay away from the diet sodas and go for the regular carbonated beverages.

And you're okay with enjoying 12 teaspoons of sugar in your system as well? If for nothing else, do diet for your TEETH.

Diet Pepsi actually tastes pretty good if you add about an ounce or so of cranberry juice to a glass full. It adds a slightly fruity note

Really? Adding fruit juice adds a slightly fruity note?

Who woulda thunk it.

:huh:

Anyway, it's Diet Irn Bru for wee me all the whey. Made from mini-girders, apparently.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

• 1 month later...

(My first time to check out the soft drink forum.)

The diet drinks I keep on hand at all times:

1. Diet Dr. Pepper in 16 oz. bottles, placed in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes so that it's frozen just to the slush stage (preferably).

2. Diet Barqs

3. Minute Maid Light Lemonade

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I dont' drink a lot of soda as a rule, but I just recently got some Diet Coke with Lime in it and I like it a lot...better than the diet Coke with lemon. Occasionally I like Diet A&W root beer or the diet creme soda...if I'm at a fountain, which is very rarely, I usually mix diet Coke with a big splash of Hawaiian Punch.

Here's my list of top 4 best mainsteam Diet Sodas:

1.) Diet Dr. Pepper (the king of mass produced Diets)

2.) Diet Coke With Lime (vs. Diet Coke With Lemon, which is one of the most disgusting sodas in the universe)

3.) Diet Pepsi Vanilla (vs. Diet Vanilla Coke, which can be used to induce vomitting if medically necessary)

4.) Diet Pepsi Twist (again DON'T force the Diet Coke With Lemon past your lips instead, or you will be very sorry)

Less mainsteam top 4:

1.) Stewart's Diet Orange N' Cream (Mmmm)

2.) Diet Cheerwine (Varmint sent me some once)

3.) (Yes, I like) Diet Cricket Cola (too. :smile: )

4.) Stewart's Diet Cream

The "Stewart's S" line of sodas sounds good almost across the board, but I can't find it near me. I vaguely recall trying a Stewart's Diet Ruby Red flavor and being impressed, but it was years ago and I'm not sure if it's the same.

Of course, as has been discussed here frequently, the REAL problem people have with the "sweetness" of non-Diet sodas these days may be more one with how stomach churning High Fructose Corn Syrup can be. The Cane Sugar sodas seem just as sweet, I'd argue, but the character of it smells and feels so much better it's a totally different experience from HFCS. That's why Diet soda almost seems like a relief these days instead of a punishment. Until you walk into the local bodega and grab a Mexican Coca-Cola and realize sugar CAN taste good.

As for Splenda... I've tried several examples but I just don't think it's been perfected yet for Soda. Diet Rite is okay, but I couldn't drink it that often.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I admit to drinking a LOT of diet soda, but mostly stick to diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Pepsi. I find a lot of the other diet sodas have a very strong aspartame taste and regular soda (with the exception of grape soda) is too sweet for me.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 3 months later...

I never drank any diet soda as I thought they all sucked. Just recently, my wife and I were placed on a reduced carb diet for medical reasons. So out the window went my Cocca-Cola classic, which I call Carb-o-Cola. I have just tried Diet Coke with Lime. I can drink this stuff. It sure ain't the Coke I want, but is really not bad.

Never thought I would say this about ANY diet soda, but it is really something I can drink

Lately I've really been enjoying the new Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Vanilla. It's pretty good in its own right and definitely the break I needed from my #1, Caffeine-Free Diet Coke.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Diet Barq's-the supreme sugar free beverage.

And Ronnie, that caffeine sugar free stuff scares me. What's in it? Without the active ingredients it sounds like a descriptive name for "brown water". :wink::raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Diet Barq's-the supreme sugar free beverage.

And Ronnie, that caffeine sugar free stuff scares me. What's in it? Without the active ingredients it sounds like a descriptive name for "brown water". :wink:  :raz:

LOL! I completely agree about no caffeine/no calorie stuff. But it's bubbly brown water. I really enjoy Diet Barq's too -- it's ubiquitous! :wink::biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm a Diet Rite fan. No sugar, no caffeine, no sodium. It must be the carbonation that does it, because there's not much else in it.

I will also drink Canada Dry diet ginger ale. Pretty good stuff.

The secret to being satisfied with diet drinks, is to drink them exclusively. Switching back and forth between diet and regular is not a good idea, taste wise. If you get used to a certain taste, and stick to it, it's fine.

I used to like diet lemon-lime Slice, and would squeeze half a lemon into it, and have a very nice carbonated lemonade. But I can't find the lemon-lime flavor anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of Diet Rite as well, and splenda is much healther than aspartame.

What I wish I could find was a good diet tonic-water for making Gin and Tonics. The Diet Schwepps variety is particularly foul.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm a Diet Rite fan.  No sugar, no caffeine, no sodium.  It must be the carbonation that does it, because there's not much else in it.

I will also drink Canada Dry diet ginger ale.  Pretty good stuff.

The secret to being satisfied with diet drinks, is to drink them exclusively.  Switching back and forth between diet and regular is not a good idea, taste wise.  If you get used to a certain taste, and stick to it, it's fine.

I used to like diet lemon-lime Slice, and would squeeze half a lemon into it, and have a very nice carbonated lemonade.  But I can't find the lemon-lime flavor anymore.

I have a seltzer bottle (well, actually two) and make a strong lemonade with Splenda then mix half and half with the seltzer. Instant carbonated lemon soda.

If you mix lemon and lime you can have that too.

I have been buying the Toroni syrups that are now made suger-free with Splenda and simply pour some over cracked ice and fill the glass with seltzer. Practically no calories. :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Diet Vernor's.  The best, hands down.

Here, here!!

If not drinking Diet Vernor's, we opt for Faygo sparkling fruit-flavored water. No sugar, no fake sugar, no fake flavor. Delicious.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I used to love Diet Coke when I lived in the US, but don't enjoy the Canadian one at all, so now I have a real Coke when I really want a pop (once a week or less, as a rule)...Barring that, I really do love Fresca, and it's good with a little vodka, too, if that's your thing.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I just picked up a 12 pack of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. For the record, I've always considered this the Edsel of Diet Pepsis, but the package claimed there was a "Great New Taste" and so I took the plunge.

It actually IS much better. I'm going by memory, but MY memory of the old version was that it was much sweeter, and the cherry taste was very artificial.

It's still an Aspartame product, but I actually agree with the package. I can finally align it with the very successful implementations of Pepsi Vanilla and Pepsi Twist, which previously put this flavor (and most Diet Coke variants) to shame.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

jhlurie

I have never been a fan of cherry flavored drinks, but you're right.....it's not half bad.

I just picked up a 12 pack of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi.  For the record, I've always considered this the Edsel of Diet Pepsis, but the package claimed there was a "Great New Taste" and so I took the plunge.

It actually IS much better.  I'm going by memory, but MY memory of the old version was that it was much sweeter, and the cherry taste was very artificial.

It's still an Aspartame product, but I actually agree with the package.  I can finally align it with the very successful implementations of Pepsi Vanilla and Pepsi Twist, which previously put this flavor (and most Diet Coke variants) to shame.

• 3 weeks later...