• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Favorite Diet Soda

Radio7

• 2 weeks later...

I drank Tab for so many years, any "real" soft drink tastes like maple syrup. And THAT'S why I order diet drinks with non-diet food, thank you very much.

My real favorite is:

Diet Pepper, fizzed over crackly ice at midnight and shared with our granddaughter in the other hotel bed. Clink three glasses, toast "To YOUUUUUU" and take a sip. We always stay at the same hotel when we visit, and that's always "her" bed.

The DP was by chance, and we thought what the heck. She still asks for it every trip, and I can hardly drink one at home without wanting to go pack our bags.

rachel

I used to drink lots and lots of Diet Coke (between 2-3 liters a day :blush: ) but had to give up... aspartame sensitivities. So, now I'm drinking Pepsi One, which is made with Splenda. I don't like the taste as much, because it tastes more "real." But that is because I grew up drinking Diet Coke.

When Diet Coke goes to using Splenda this summer, I'll probably go back to Diet Coke. Meanwhile, my mother and sisters will switch to Coke Zero, which will have aspartame.

Misa

Sweet Misa

And now that Summer's coming, there's a LOT to be said for reaching into that far-back, coldest spot in the fridge for an almost-icy FROSH, which you WHISSSSSPP open and upend for a long thirsty drink.

My husband and I both freeze our sodas until they become slushy. It's wonderful.

Misa

Sweet Misa

My local store had Coke products on sale this week. i went in and they had a pile of boxes just inside the door, ther must have been a thousand of them. But not one Diet Coke with Lime. So i got a Diet Coke with Lemon, which was only of, not as good as the lime, a diet coke with vanilla which is also only ok. Got one of my old standbys Fresca, and also something else. Diet Coke with Lime must be a hit, as I can't find it anywere this week

• 3 months later...

I've not yet seen the ads. Over 20 years ago I worked in the space management department of the Coca Cola Bottling Company of LA -- we determined shelf space allocation for products. We bottled Crush in the LA basin and always added extra space in the more ethnic areas to Crush and other fruit flavors. Grape in particular did well in predominately African American areas, although diet sodas of any type did not. I'd check with your Crush Bottler to see if they are bottling diet grape first. If they do, you'll probably find it at the supermarkets with a more ethnically diverse clientele. Diet grape Crush wil probably not show up first in Malibu...

• 1 month later...

You can buy it where I live...Small Town, British Columbia, but only as part of a 24 pack with diet Orange Crush, diet Cream Soda and some other flavor. I got some at a local restaurant and it was actually pretty good. A bit of aspartame afterkick, but on the whole a very satisfying can of pop when one craves that grape soda but can't have the sugar.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 7 months later...

I just found out that I can have Splenda/sucralose- I am one of those people highly allergic to aspartame (I am talking hospitol grade bad) and it took me awhile to get over my fear of trying Splenda, but I can have it with no problems.

This is good because it has opened up many new options for me in my quest to lose those extra five pounds- yes I know just cutting out soda entirely would helop that greatly and admitedly my big diet down fall is soda. Admitedly I drink Coke because I really like it (and I do try to limit to one a day at the most)- but I would also have no problem switching to a diet drink that I liked at least almost as much. But I am not sure where to start. I have tried the Dite Coke with Splenda and really did not like it- all I could taste was the chemically after taste.

I thought I would ask all of you for some suggestions as to what you think is the best of what's out there- and if there is something that you hate toss that out too- as many opinions as possible would be great.

Edited by Gigi4808 (log)

Hansen's makes diet sodas with Splenda. I like the ginger ale a lot. The other flavors I mostly haven't tried. A dash of pomegranate or cranberry juice makes the ginger ale taste even less "diet," as does a dash of Angostura bitters.

Edited by Tess (log)

Snapple makes a couple of their products with sucralose. The one I like, when I can find it, is their Diet Lime Green Tea.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Diet 7-up is sweetened with Splenda, it's easily hands-down my favorite diet soda.

Is it just the plain 7-Up that you like or is it the fruity ones?

So far I have tried the Pepsi One- I thought it was pretty close to "normal" Pepsi (probably because I am a coke drinker and it's been a while since I had a Pepsi) so this has been what I have liked the best so far.

I will be trying the Hansens as soon as I can get back to Whole Foods- they carry it but my local publix does not. I love ginger ale so I am really eager to try it.

My husband love Diet Rite but it reminded me of chemically tasting sub-generic dollar store "cola"

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be trying the Hansens as soon as I can get back to Whole Foods- they carry it but my local publix does not. I love ginger ale so I am really eager to try it.

Before you make a special trip to WF, mine does not carry the diet Hansen's, just the regular. The only source I know of is Trader Joe's.

Before you make a special trip to WF, mine does not carry the diet Hansen's, just the regular. The only source I know of is Trader Joe's.

Intersting that you mention that about WF. I noticed that it does not carry any items that are sweetened with Splenda. I would imagine it is because it is sugar "in an altered state"...not natural..

Thank you guys for saving me the WF trip- having never shopped for Splenda products before I was unaware that they did not carry them- I have purchased Hansen's there so I thought it would not be a problem. I think that one is going to ave to wait until they open a TJ's here.

Hansen's makes diet sodas with Splenda. I like the ginger ale a lot. The other flavors I mostly haven't tried. A dash of pomegranate or cranberry juice makes the ginger ale taste even less "diet," as does a dash of Angostura bitters.

I am also a Hansen's fan, and am especially fond of their black cherry, peach, and strawberry-kiwi flavors. I can sometimes find them in Albertson's as well as Trader Joe's. Here's their entire diet flavor lineup.

Diet-Rite sodas are also sweetened with Splenda, are reasonably good-tasting, and can sometimes be found in mainstream supermarkets. Here's their website.

Diet-Rite sodas are also sweetened with Splenda, are reasonably good-tasting, and can sometimes be found in mainstream supermarkets. Here's their website.

I'm particularly of the diet red raspberry, with a good squeeze of lime added so it's not quite so sweet.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Tried the 7Up Plus in the cherry flavor today and I really liked that. Tastes almost exactly like reg cherry 7Up.

I have the Raspberry Diet Rite chilling in the fridge so I will be giving that a try too.

Has anyone tried the white grape Diet Rite?