• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Dining in San Francisco

Johnathon

I will be in San Francisco for a quick visit and the only night available is Sunday evening for fine dining. A majority of the restaurants are closed on Sunday and in many cases Monday as well. Any suggestions for a Sunday evening of gourmand delights? I am particularly interested in contemporary and innovative cuisine.

Any and all responses are deeply appreciated as I will be writing up reviews on my dining in the Bay Area.

Cheers.

Edited by Johnathon (log)

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

Well, well, coming down to our den of iniquity, eh?

Judging from your posts, I'm guessing you'll like Danko. You're too late for reservations, but that's okay. You can sit at the bar and get the full menu there. I think $78 US for a five course meal.

i believe you will dislike Zuni.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

"Den of Iniquity", an apropos title for such a city based upon my last visit! :wink:

Looks like Gary Danko is the way to go. Too bad about resos though, the bar it is. Don't I have any connections on this board who can "squeeze" me in! :biggrin:

Zuni? The "Famous" Roast Chicken and Bread Salad sounds intriguing. Maybe for Monday lunch?

Any other gastronomic nuances of comtemporary elan in the den of iniquity to consider on a Sunday prowl?

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will be trying for "all of the above" so if you see me mingling about my plate full of goodies be sure to say hello. :smile:

Cheers.

Cherie is right!!! Zuni is open until 10 or 11 on sunday. MUST HAVE ROAST CHICKEN WITH BREAD SALAD!!!!!!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

hit PlumpJack Cafe on Fillmore, especially if lots of well priced wine is an issue! :biggrin:

On fillmore st there is also Vivande Porta Via

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

MECCA - For a truly SF experience.

Their "Sunday Supper" includes a prix-fixe meal, signature cocktails, wine pairings, and a DJ/light show. This is not your typical "dinner & a show" the food is excellent and their chef was voted a "Rising Star Chef" in the SF Chronicle this year.

check it out:

http://www.sfmecca.com/entertainment_liveEntertainment.htm

(scroll down to "Southern Sunday Supper")

Edited by lizard (log)

• 1 month later...

MECCA - For a truly SF experience.

Their "Sunday Supper" includes a prix-fixe meal, signature cocktails, wine pairings, and a DJ/light show. This is not your typical "dinner & a show" the food is excellent and their chef was voted a "Rising Star Chef" in the SF Chronicle this year.

check it out:

http://www.sfmecca.com/entertainment_liveEntertainment.htm

(scroll down to "Southern Sunday Supper")

[/quo

Yes, I've tried the Sunday dinner at Mecca and it's very good authenic southern fare. Shrimp and Grits is a must.

• 2 years later...

Am heading for 4 nights in SF with the Mrs. and another couple who are dear friends and like to eat.

Friday is Range, Saturday is Gary Danko and Monday is Chez Panisse. Sunday is open.

I harbour a fantasy of a neighbourhood bistro off the beat and track, but somwhere in SF proper. A relaxed Sunday night dinner with elbows on the table, I think.

In any event, I am completely open minded, and welcome any and all suggestions that lead to a good meal.

Help, SVP.

[edited for spilling]

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Am heading for 4 nights in SF with the Mrs. and another couple who are dear friends and like to eat.

Friday is Range, Saturday is Gary Danko and Monday is Chez Panisse. Sunday is open.

I harbour a fantasy of a neighbourhood bistro off the beat and track, but somwhere in SF proper. A relaxed Sunday night dinner with elbows on the table, I think.

In any event, I am completely open minded, and welcome any and all suggestions that lead to a good meal.

Help, SVP.

[edited for spilling]

Sundays can be problematic anywhere, but it was almost a year ago that Molto e and I had a great meal on a Sunday night at Ame. Unfortunately, it doesn't meet all your specifications. One place that might, though I'm not sure if they are open on Sunday is Incanto.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Incanto is open on Sundays, and it would be a perfect choice given your specifications. It's not downtown, but it is in SF, and it's easy to get to on the MUNI streetcar. (Here is a topic on Incanto, and here is a topic on a dinner we had there a while back -- scroll down for the dinner posts, plus photos.)

There's also a relatively new Italian place downtown, Perbacco, that I've heard good things about, but I moved before it opened, so I don't have any personal experience with it.

I struck out with my first few ideas--Piperade, Plouf and Suppenkuche. They are all closed on Sundays.

Hayes St Grill is open on Sundays (5-8:30). It's a very nice but relaxed neighborhood-feeling restaurant behind the Opera and Symphony house. http://www.hayesstreetgrill.com/ Always delicious.

Zuni Cafe might be an option; open Sundays, 5-11 pm. I always have a very relaxing time there and the food is great.

edited to add: Carsbad's suggestion of Chapeau or Clementine might also fit the bill if they're open. Small, comfortable french bistros. I haven't been to either for awhile.

Your other meals sound great;; you should have a wonderful dining weekend. If you get to Range a bit early consider trying some of their expertly made cocktails at their small bar. I really enjoy their Overholt 1794. (rye, campari and red vermouth and a flamed orange peel garnish.)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

My favorite neighborhood bistro is Chouchou in Forest Hill. It's one of those places where service is friendly, food is good and you'll feel comfortable in jeans or dressed up.

Another place I really like is B44 (Spanish/Catalan food) on Belden Place. It's not really a neighborhood place, but it's in an alley (along with about 7 or 8 other restaurants) that is lined with outdoor seating, which has a very European feel to it.

I believe the Chef at A16 was just nominated for a Beard award.

I would recommend Boulevard, Town Hall or Salt House.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

• 1 year later...

Hi

I'm going to be flying into San Francisco tomorrow. Before heading up to CIA Greystone, I figured I would enjoy the city a bit.

I was thinking of heading to the Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf area. I'm basically looking for a place where I can park, walk around, shop a little, enjoy the sights, and try various types of food (small stuff).

Are there any markets or food-friendly areas I should hit up?

Since its Easter Sunday, I understand many places may not be open.

Also, I'm planning on taking the Golden Gate route rather than the Bay bridge through Oakland. A friend told me that it was a nicer drive.

Thanks

Edited by zeph74 (log)

Zeph, you *are* going to hit a snag because of the Easter thing and while many would normally suggest the Ferry Plaza for one-stop "all things culinary," I would question how much is going to be open for you. An interesting alternative could be the edge of Union Square where you have access to Chinatown or Clemente Street where you could have lunch at Burma Super Star (although whether or not they are open is still questionable). I'm sorry I don't have more definitive information for you -- it is such a weird holiday and anyone's second guess!

While the drive up the Golden Gate IS prettier, it will add an hour (at least) to your drive time, making your time to get to the CIA upwards of two-and-half to three hours. I'm thinking you would be a lot happier just going up through Oakland and getting into the otherwise stunning Napa valley early enough to enjoy what is there.

I realize this is bit late in coming, but plead forgiveness as convenient Internet access was not to be had for most of the past week.

I was in San Francisco on said Easter Sunday, and hit up the Ferry Building for lunch. Nearly everything was open. Incidentally, we gorged ourselves at Hog Bay and quite enjoyed it. Miette Patisserie was out of most things by 3:00 PM, but still quite open, as was Far West Fungi. Ciao Bella Gelato was packed and had a long line.

I cannot say with certainty which storefronts were closed, but having walked the length of the building and back, I believe it to be no more than 3 or 4 (about 10%).

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large