• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

At my recent dinner at Artisanal in NYC, my cheese plate offered me

an extraordinary experience. One of the lovelies -- a ripened, semisoft goat (?) cheese named Virot -- made me feel surprisingly intoxicated. My companion observed that I was acting drunk, and it felt to me like the top of my head was opening up. The sensation intensified with each bite, then subsided all too quickly. Is it possible to get drunk on cheese? If so, how does it work?

On a related note: how can I find this cheese on my own?

Thanks so much!

"We Don't Throw Stones"

A recent medical report published in a responsible medical journal, name of which escapes me, was a lightening bolt: Cheese contains an enzyme called casomorphin that has the same molecular structure as morphine-based compounds; the report opines this is the reason cheese is so addictive, that you are getting a buzz you're not consciously aware of. This could explain your reaction to this Virot I've never heard of. Perhaps it was front-loaded by some stoner French cheesemaker.