• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awwww....NUTS!

Pickles

I like roasted almonds for eating

Sometimes I also like pistachios--but not those red things

For baking I love pecans and walnuts (Trader Joes walnuts aren't bitter tasting)

I love hazelnuts, but I'm allergic to them.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

(Weird thing I did when I was a younger soul, skip the shelling of sunflower seeds and just eat them shells and all, still have my appendix happily.)

When I was a kid I would eat whole peanuts -- shell, red skin, and nut. The shells are pretty tasty. Roughage!! :laugh::laugh: And no, I never got a tummy-ache.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've never met a nut that I didn't like. Its so hard to pick a favorite. It depends on my mood. Its hard to beat a good pecan, though. I guess pistachios would be a close second. Hazelnuts for sure. Black walnuts would be up there too. They go very nicely in zucchini bread.

Plain old walnuts would be my least favorite. Come to think of it, I never use them. I usually substitute a different nut for them. :hmmm: .

I love them all, but almonds are my favorite. A few summers ago I was forced to attend a Medieval festival. Oh yes. It was torture, but they had these almonds that were coated with some kind of hot and crunchy cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar mixture. That's the only place that I've ever seen them, so if I want some more I will have to suffer the faire!

Hazelnuts, any form.

Macadamia, particularly homemade macadamia butter. No fillers, no thickeners, no other nut butters mixed in, just macadamia. Finger, spoon, bowl, counter-lickin good.

Add 1/2 c. of that in with even a modest white chocolate mousse, and you've got a dessert that'll curl your toes.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Walnuts in syrup over vanilla ice cream. That's just what heaven is like!

Unshelled pistachios (it's the only way to slow my consumption!), peanut brittle, and hazelnut syrup in coffee rounds out the flavor preferences.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

hazelnut syrup in coffee rounds out the flavor preferences.

Much to the chagrin of the folks in Coffee forum, I too love the hazelnut syrup... or a liberal shot o' Frangelico after hours :wub:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I just realized that I forgot about one of my all-time favorite snacks that's only available in Israel. It's called Botnim Americayim which directly translates into American peanuts. Only, I have no idea what nut it is and they're covered in a sweet/savory crunchy candy shell. They're out of this world. Occasionally I can find a poor imitation of them imported but they're not as good.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hazelnuts are an interesting story, illustrating the power of marketing.

Did you ever see Filbert Cinnamon flavored coffee? Nope. But Hazelnut Cinnamon flavored coffee is a different story.

It wasn't until Filberts were re-named and marketed under the name "Hazelnut" that the nut really took off in popularity. Interesting fact: About 99% of the US Hazelnut crop is grown in the state of Oregon.

As an OT aside, Kiwi fruit also took off in popularity thanks to marketing and a re-naming. It used to be called the Chinese Gooseberry.

And the Prune People are trying a marketing change, as well, by getting their fruit re-named "dried plums" to avoid the stigma of the name "prune".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I love almonds and pistachios, both for eating out of hand and for cooking. I am not a fan of walnuts...

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

Well thank you for the page. It's all true about hickory nuts but I don't know what variety we had. We cracked them ourselves - an afternoon's work for kids for a couple of cups of full flavored sweet nutmeats.

Well thank you for the page. It's all true about hickory nuts but I don't know what variety we had. We cracked them ourselves - an afternoon's work for kids for a couple of cups of full flavored sweet nutmeats.

I have my grandmother's recipe for hickory nut cake but haven't been able to get the nuts for years.

We had the shagbark variety, besides gathering the nuts, we used to collect the bark for mulch in the kitchen garden.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett