• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awwww....NUTS!

Pickles

I'm mad for nuts! Can't choose one favorite. Here they are in rough order of preference and favorite way to prepare each:

cashews (roasted; in sweets and savories, like chicken-cashew stir-fries)

pecans (roasted; in sweets and savories, like stuffing)

chestnuts (candied)

walnuts (chopped, in sweets)

Brazil nuts (raw)

macadamia nuts (roasted)

peanuts (roasted; in sweets and savories, like sesame noodles )

coconut (Is a nut, right? shredded, in sweets and savories, like curries)

almonds (roasted; in sweets and savories, like Chicken Country Captain)

Favorite nut application: FRUIT CAKE!!!!

I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut.

I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut.

"And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten. "

Heh.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Sorry to disappoint all the peanut lovers, but peanuts are not really nuts. In fact, they have more in common with peas, then nuts.

Did anyone catch Good Eats last Wednesday? It was a show on nuts. Alton Brown did some interesting stuff - like cashew butter that I've never seen before.

Sorry to disappoint all the peanut lovers, but peanuts are not really nuts. In fact, they have more in common with peas, then nuts.

Did anyone catch Good Eats last Wednesday? It was a show on nuts. Alton Brown did some interesting stuff - like cashew butter that I've never seen before.

Right, they're legumes.

Good episode-- I plan to use nuts more often. Cashew butter is delicious.

I love pistachios. Not real wild about walnuts, but otherwise I love em all.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I love nuts, though my favorites are pistachios, cashews, and almonds.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Any nut is a gift from the gods; but I love enormous AZ or NM pistachios,pinons, PECANS, and cashews. Hazelnuts...yum. Lychees-do they count?

I too cannot overeat mangoes or cashews. And if I pass within 5 feet of poison ivy, that devilweed will get me. Spent 1/2 of a summer once in hospital with poison ivy in my nose, mouth, and throat. GAH!

Edit: Oh, wait... scratch those nuts!

Does it say something about my level of humor that I laughed when I read that?

By the way I am :

1. Pistachio

2. Cashew

3. Pecan (in pie preferably)

Bill Russell

I always whip out cocktails for the adults, pop for the kids (only time they get that) and spanish peanuts.  The ones with the skins on them.  Why are they called "spanish" peanuts? 

Googled failed me on trying to find a name derivation. :angry:

From this article:

Although peanuts come in many varieties, there are four basic types grown in the United States today. They are: Runner, Spanish, Valencia and Virginia. Each type is unique in size, shape and flavor.

So it's just a type of peanut.

Another quote:

Spanish peanuts, grown mostly in Oklahoma and Texas, are primarily used to make candies and peanut oil.

Another site said Spanish peanuts are favored by candy makers, especially peanut brittle makers. They also have higher oil content which is why they're ideal for making peanut oil.

I remember Farrell's Ice Cream parlors used to use Spanish peanuts on their Hot Tin Roof Sundaes. Dairy Queen uses them on their Nut Buster Parfait.

More peanut info

Even more info

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I like most varieties, but some of them I only like certain ways. I'm not a huge fan of nuts in baked goods (with certain exceptions) -- I really don't like them in brownies, for example. But two of my favorite cookies are pistachio crumbles and praline crisps, both of which are mostly nuts.

I like macadamia nuts, but the combination of macadamias and chocolate leaves me cold. They're great made into brittle, though. On the other hand, I love toasted hazelnuts or almonds with chocolate.

For the walnut haters, try this: pour a pound of walnuts (halves and pieces) into a big bowl. Cover with boiling water and let sit for a few minutes. Drain. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp oil and 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne (I mix the sugar and cayenne together so it's evenly distributed). The heat and residual moisture will turn the sugar into syrup.

Bake at 350, stirring a couple of times, for about a half hour. You want them to be deep golden brown but be careful that the sugar doesn't burn. As they're cooling, salt them to taste (you'll need more than you might think, because of the sugar).

The blanching process removes much of the bitterness, and there is something in the sweet, hot, salty combination that makes them irresistable, even to walnut haters.

For cashews, if you want something different: Roast them until they're deep golden brown and salt them (if you buy them already roasted, give them five minutes in the oven to deppen the color and warm them). Then mix them with sliced shallots, scallions, serranos or Thai bird chiles. Right before serving, squeeze a half a lime over the mixture and give it a quick stir. You want the cashews to be barely warm for this -- too hot and they won't be crunchy, but the warmth brings out the flavors of the chiles and shallots.

pistachios and almonds, eaten out of hand, for me. I love almonds plain, and flavored any way - candied, honey-roasted, salted, toasted with olive oil, salt and rosemary, tossed with curry spices, anything. They're such an excellent flavor vehicle.

I always loved the opening line in Love in the Time of Cholera - but I've never really thought of what bitter almonds were. Are they the almonds I love, but green and cyanotic? Are they something different altogether?

Lychees-do they count?

No. They're juicy, sweet, fragrant fruits, and whoever was first to call them a "nut" was himself a nut. :laugh:

But coconuts count, as the part we eat is part of the nut. We discard the hard shell, eat the pulp, and drink the water (among other things one can do with the edible portions of the nut). The fruit of the coconut is the husk.

Michael aka "Pan"

mmmm, nuts.

cashews for eating. i have to be careful - not for allergies, but piggishness. nothing like a bowl of cashews to bring out the tasmasian devil in me.

love all others except brazil (they always seem...stale in mixes) and black walnuts. also despise nuts in sweets, though they're ok in savory breads.

one thing - hard to describe - and it happens to me with fruit too - apples, peaches and sometimes mangos though not berries or pears or bananas or citrus...untoasted nuts (especially almonds) make my lips swell - i'll get a small sore in my lip - almost like a keloid that will itch and swell. i have to be careful about eating nuts raw - once roasted, i seem to have no trouble. what's that all about and is it related to the fruit thing?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Pistachios!

I like to suck on them till the salt is gone, then I pry the shell open with my teeth, by which time the membrane around the nut is tender.

Makes them last longer, too.

(Weird thing I did when I was a younger soul, skip the shelling of sunflower seeds and just eat them shells and all, still have my appendix happily.)

Edited by Samhill (log)

I just saw in the CVS sale circular that Poppycocks now come in a "Just the Nuts" selection. Since my brother and I fight over his picking all the pecans and almonds out of the Poppycock, this is terrific news. Needless to say, as a nut-freak, I am mad for Poppycocks.

How about salt-glazed pecan halves. Here is my method.

I usually do two cups at a time in my largest skillet.

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil.

Add kosher salt and stir until it will no longer dissolve (you now have a super-saturated solution and will see a few salt crystals on the bottom of the pan)

Then add 1/4 cup sugar, keep stirring.

Dump in the pecans, bring the liquid back to a boil, stirring constantly.

As soon as it boils again, pour the pecans into a large colander toss to get as much liquid off them as possible.

Spread on a sheet pan and toast in a 250 degree oven until crisp but not browned.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How about salt-glazed pecan halves. Here is my method.

I usually do two cups at a time in my largest skillet.

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil.

Add kosher salt and stir until it will no longer dissolve (you now have a super-saturated solution and will see a few salt crystals on the bottom of the pan)

Then add 1/4 cup sugar, keep stirring.

Dump in the pecans, bring the liquid back to a boil, stirring constantly.

As soon as it boils again, pour the pecans into a large colander toss to get as much liquid off them as possible.

Spread on a sheet pan and toast in a 250 degree oven until crisp but not browned.

Thanks for the recipe. Looks terrific! Easier and healthier for me than my mom's Fried Sugar-Pecans, which are glazed and then deep-fried -- a Southern thang:

FRIED SUGAR-PECANS

2 cups pecan halves

water

1 cup sugar

vegetable oil for deep-frying

Place in saucepan pecans and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for two minutes. Drain, leaving pecans and small amount of water in saucepan. Stir in sugar. Boil mixture until pecans are glazed. Pour onto non-stick silicone baking mat. Separate pecan halves. Let dry. Deep-fry until golden-brown and crisp.

1) Pecans

2) Pecans

3) Pecans

Incidentally-that's "puh-cons" for you that are pronunciation impaired. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cashews. Pistachios. Almonds. Pine nuts.

You can have all the Brazil nuts and walnuts, and most of the pecans.

How about Almendras Garapiñadas (Mexican Sugared Almonds)

Two cups raw almonds

Two cups white sugar

Pinch of salt

Two cups water

Mix all ingredients in a copper kettle and allow to cook over medium-high flame. Stir occasionally. At the point that the mixture begins to thicken and the almonds begin to crack, watch carefully and take the pot off the fire just as the almonds change color but before they begin to burn. The sugared almonds should be dark golden brown.

Spread the almonds on a marble or metal surface to cool.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?