• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awwww....NUTS!

Pickles

Hmmm? :cool: And while we're at it, what's your least favorite? My favorites are hazlenuts/filberts and almonds. Walnuts run closely behind. Least favorite..Brazil nuts. Greasy tasting. Not crazy about peanuts, but I do get a craving for them once a year or so.

Cashews .. God bless you! :laugh:

and I like Georgia pecans, hazelnuts and Brazil nuts and almonds, pistachios (when shelled) ... depends on whether they are roasted with other things like salt or other flavors .. ecch ..

least favorite are walnuts which I find bitter tasting often ... :sad:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Cashews win in the flavor category. Macadamia nuts come in a close second but more for texture than taste. Next are pecans.

Funny thing is, I don't care for nuts in sweets. Keep those nuts out of my brownies or fudge.

One weird thing that has happened. I roasted some nuts for the holidays using the worchestershire and butter mixture like for Chex mix. The walnuts turned out tasting really fishy and yukky, possibly from the anchovie elements in the worchestershire.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I absolutely love macadamias. Brazil nuts always come off as dry and chalky to me, where do you get yours that are greasy? (I might like to try a more moist Brazil nut). The spiced cashews that they sell at Indian grocers are also awesome. Oh, I Also positively love pecans and black walnuts for baking.

Least fav - hmmm, can't really think of any I dislike...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Pistachios. The really big natural ones, lightly salted

Macadamias: The big ones that are naturally dry roasted

Marcona Almonds, fried in olive oil.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Macadamias by a huge margin, then - -

Hickory nuts

Pecans

Spanish almonds

Pine nuts

Pistachios

I have a friend on the big island who sends me macnuts from the grower, these are the shelled but not perfect nuts, but I used them in baking so who cares if they have a chunk out of them.

They are almost the toughest nut to crack, hickory nuts are the worst.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

pistachios for eating out of hand

and

(almonds in cookies, pecans in pies, pinenuts in a sauce or salad, chestnuts or walnuts in cakes and hazelnuts in gelato or chocolate....)

I know this is cheating, but I had to sweat blood before picking pistachios over cashews for eating out of hand!! :rolleyes: )

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Pistachios.

Almonds.

Cashews. No, macademias. No, Brazil nuts. Wait ...

Oh I love nuts of all sorts. :smile:

I am always amazed at how different and unique each type of nut tastes. I don't know why that should amaze me, I don't expect a peach to taste like an apple (and it doesn't, and I'm never amazed by that fact.) But somehow I am always amazed that different types of nuts taste absolutely nothing like one another, each type has a flavor all its own. It somehow reaffirms my faith, although I'm not sure in what. :rolleyes:

Peanuts in the shell when at the ballpark. Freshly roasted whole almonds as a snack. Lightly salted pistachios as a snack as well. Hazelnuts are best with chocolate although pecans are great in brownies. And for some reason I like eating brazil nuts on Passover.

Basically, there isn't a nut I dislike.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I love pecans, hazlenuts and black walnuts.

Cashews are good, but I must moderate consumption of them since they're a close relative (as are mangos) of poison ivy, and overindugence leads to unpleasantness for me.

Brazil nuts can be good... but can also be really bad. They're so oily that they get rancid and solventy tasting sometimes.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Normally, it's cashews in this house. But, when we get to The Cabin late at night, I always whip out cocktails for the adults, pop for the kids (only time they get that) and spanish peanuts. The ones with the skins on them. Why are they called "spanish" peanuts? Anyway, even Heidi, who rarely eats chrunchy foods, loves them. We run through at least a pound of them. Must be all of that removing deadwood from the road that whets the appetite. If I don't bring these when we are going at night, I catch hell from the whole family.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I absolutely adore NUTS of all kinds!! And I like nuts in all my food: brownies, ice cream, salads, breads, right out of the huge can...

Gosh, I can't imagine being allergic to nuts. Must be the worst feeling ever! :raz:

Wow: I didn't know that about cashews. I love cashews. What 's up with them being close to poison ivy???

Well, they're closely related plants... http://nac.tamu.edu/x075bb/caddo/frameidx.html

That means that those of us who are sensitive to the evil weed are vulnerable to unpleasant itchiness from lips and esophagus all the way through to the other end (luckily most of the digestive tract isn't wired with nerves that would let us know it...) It's not a happy occurrence. Fortunately it takes real immoderation on my part to get there.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Hazelnuts. Particularly in the presence of chocolate gelato. Or any other form of chocolate.

Almonds, cashews & pecans are tied for second.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I really like pine nuts.  Funny how you never see those in a snack-nut form; I'd love them.

If you toast them just a bit, then take Kraft caramels, cut them in half and soften them just a bit and roll them in the pine nuts, it makes a very tasty, bite-sized candy. (Wear latex gloves.)

I also make pignoli cookies, the Italian pine nut almond paste cookies that are very, very good.

recipe

The pine nuts at CostCo are very reasonably priced.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Chestnuts and Cashews and Pistachios.

The rest can just disappear. :biggrin:

I forgot all about chestnuts. I love them. Actually I don't think of them as a nut so much as a confection or sometimes a vegetable or even flour.

They are so versatile and can be used so many different ways it is difficult to simply consider them a nut....

I candy chestnuts in vanilla syrup, similar to marrons glacé. Treated this way they will keep practically forever.

I have yet to come across a nut I didn't like. My absolute favourite for eating on their own are pecans, cashews and almonds. Not so keen on raw peanuts, but I like them roasted.

Suman

I am a nut freak. I really love raw almonds, where the outer hull is still green and the skins are white and you peel them right off. That's my favorite and comes but once a year. Raw peanuts are good too. I'm a sucker for salty nuts too, particularly pistachios, cashews and pecans. I'm slightly allergic to walnuts however, they make the roof of my mouth all tingly and then it swells up a bit, but I don't mind cuz I find walnuts bitter anyway.

In cyprus when i was growing up we always had these very hard, salty crunchy dried up chickpeas. I didn't realize until i was older that they are not nuts, but they might as well be. They are delicious, and I always smuggle a ton when i come back from a visit.