• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Cheese Shops

Have not been to Larrys yet. Do you think it's better than whole foods...

No, I don't think Larry's is better than Whole Foods, either in the realm of cheese or as a general-purpose, high-end grocery.

That said, Larry's is more like a nice version of regular grocery store -- with regular-size crowds and regular-size prices -- than a foodie mecca like WF. It's more along the lines of a Metropolitan Market (nee Thriftway). Although you're paying a bit more than Safeway/QFC at Larry's, they've got real wine, real produce, real cheese, a Peet's coffee stand, and a nice assortment of gourmet items. It's a shame that their meat counter now has nothing more interesting than the usual supermarket cuts of chicken and beef, and the people who work there are decidedly not butchers anymore. I discovered Central Market about that same time they wrecked the meat counter, though, so they would have lost my meat business anyway.

Speaking of Metropolitan Market, I keep hearing that the new Safeway going in on Madison and 23rd was going to be a MM until last-minute negotiations failed. Why nobody thinks it's worth placing an upscale market in the Madison Valley / Madrona / Mount Baker axis, I will never understand.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

No idea. The space is mostly empty, though there are some aluminum studs up for walls. The floor is strange (looks like a raised floor), but I think it was built for .com insanity: the building apparently has all sorts of expensive redundant computer-friendly infrastructure, which is why it sat empty for years before being leased out to Subway (open), Cheese Cellar (not open), and Sports Bar (not open).

There are two recently posted liquor applications on the window (from late June/early July) for a grocery selling beer/wine. Don't know if that means they plan to sell wine and cheese or what.

Speaking of Metropolitan Market, I keep hearing that the new Safeway going in on Madison and 23rd was going to be a MM until last-minute negotiations failed. Why nobody thinks it's worth placing an upscale market in the Madison Valley / Madrona / Mount Baker axis, I will never understand.

Word. Another boggler is why somebody decided it was a good idea to build a giant Safeway only blocks away from another giant Safeway. WTF?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Word.  Another boggler is why somebody decided it was a good idea to build a giant Safeway only blocks away from another giant Safeway.  WTF?

'Tis a puzzlement, indeed, thought I'm not complaining. (a) the 15th/John Safeway gives me the creeps (combination of the skeezy clientele and the odd assortment of people who work there) and (b) I can throw a pack of Lucerne cream cheese from my roof and hit the new Safeway, and it's always nice to have a big market within walking distance.

When we lived in Phinney, they opened a new (smallish but nice) Safeway at 85th and Greenwood, despite the presence of not one but two large Safeways already nearby (Crown Hill at 85th and 15th NW and Ballard at 15th and 65th) -and- Greenwood Market (owned by the folks who own Ballard Market and Central Market) at 85th and NW 3rd -and- Ken's market on Greenwood. We needed another Safeway like a hole in the head; what we really needed up there were some more decent restarants. Of course, now I live in a neighborhood with plenty of great restaurants but no pubs/bars, so I guess there's always a trade-off....

Back to the cheese topic: I'll be over on the outskirts of downtown B'vue this afternoon, and I plan to stop by the new WF. I'll investigate how the cheese department stacks up.

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 2 months later...

Cheese Cellar has a sign saying they open Friday. It's carved out of the space at the end of Fisher plaza, it's not very big--somewhat narrow and deep with some deli coolers (is that what they're called?) and wood shelves, looks nice but I was soaked from the rain and didn't stare in the window too long.

I normally am very happy with the cheese selection at Met Market and Whole Paycheck but I have to tell you that I've been trying to buy a reblochon for 2 weeks now and they don't have it! grrrr! can you imagine such a travesty in france??? :shock:

Where is the Fisher Plaza? Denny and 5th???

Actually, Cheese Cellar is on 4th. (Fisher Plaza takes up the whole block). Going West on Denny, turn right on 4th. Going East on Denny, turn right on Cedar (same light as 5th) and right on 4th.

Edited by mb7o (log)

Cheese Cellar has a sign saying they open Friday. It's carved out of the space at the end of Fisher plaza, it's not very big--somewhat narrow and deep with some deli coolers (is that what they're called?) and wood shelves, looks nice but I was soaked from the rain and didn't stare in the window too long.

Funny you should bring up cheese. I have been meaning to post something about that little cheese shop (AND cafe)in Gig Harbor. I know it is a long way from Seattle....but after i stopped in i realized what a wonderful find it is. Debbie (the owner) has a fabulous selection of somewhat hard to find cheeses....French, Italian and English.

She is even expecting a delivery shortly that will include that very rare Dorset cheese...Blue Vinney....AND the very buttery farmstead Lancashire from Mrs. Kirkham. Her prices too are fantastic too... I feel very fortunate to have her down the road from me. I would say if you are into cheese and feel like an afternoon drive down here to Gig Harbor...you'll find some great stuff in her shop. Far better selection than Whole Paycheck and Met. Market.

She also said she will be open Halloween with coffee to give away to the parents as well as treats for the kids.

Anyway..the name of the place is Isa Mera and it is on the main drag thru Gig Harbor....on the right side (comming from the Narrows Bridge) and somewhat down from the street...on the water.(there are signs)

Her phone number there is 253-857-7511 if you have any questions about anything she might carry. I think she also does catering as well.

Next time i am up in Seattle i would also like to check out that new place....if anyone goes...please post a report.

For cheesemakers down here, Isa Mira also sells cheese cultures, which is a great thing for us South Sounders who may not want to drive to Beecher's or deal with online ordering. I talk a little about them in this post: Isa Mira post from cheese supply thread

I'm still in search of more south end places (Tacoma to Kent, but not the peninsula) where they sell cheese cultures, fresh goat's milk, raw and/or non homogenized cow's milk and other cheesemaking stuff. Please post here if you know where to find them.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I have to go with Whole Foods because I think they have a pretty decent selection and they will let you sample it before buying. Has anyone ever ordered cheese online? I have looked at some websites but I am a little leary of ordering perishable food off the net.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Has anyone ever ordered cheese online?  I have looked at some websites but I am a little leary of ordering perishable food off the net.

I ordered some Tibetan Yak Cheese from igourmet through Amazon. It came in a styrofoam cooler with a couple of those plastic bags of frozen gel. Most places will automatically do overnight shipping.

A friend of mine will be opening up a little cheese shop on Lake Washington in Leschi in just over a month. i'll post details when she's nearly ready to open.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Ask her to get a web page too! I like looking at cheese almost as much as I like eating it.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I have to go with Whole Foods because I think they have a pretty decent selection and they will let you sample it before buying.  Has anyone ever ordered cheese online?  I have looked at some websites but I am a little leary of ordering perishable food off the net.

Any decent cheese shop will give samples for you to taste and Isa Mara is no exception. If you like whole foods because its near you then great....but their selection of cheeses is really just ho hum. Last time i was there ...not only did they NOT have any of the cheeses from Neals Yard...they werent sure what they even were.

Di Laurenti had a far more interesting selection....and their cheese buyer really knows her stuff. Certainly a good resource for anyone living in the city.

Heck..I am still trying to find the time to go up to Salumi. Its only about 50 minutes or so up the road....but the traffic always gives me pause...which is one reason i am glad Girl Chow suggested Isa Mara...it has turned out to be a GEM!

On the theme of good cheese shops in unlikely places: http://www.bayleaf.us/cheese.html

in Coupeville on Whidbey Island.  Lots of harded to find local cheeses along with a good selection of European stuff.

Wow ! Thanks for that suggestion...they look like a great place....and out on Whidbey Island no less. Looks like they they know what they are doing too.

Nice to know you can live somewhere out of the way like that and still find good cheese.

I was going to mention James Cook but that was already covered much earlier on - it was sad...Was a regular there and then one day they closed shop.

Trader Joe's has a decent selection. I reccommend their apricot beechers cheese - it is great on crackers for an appetizer.

Also, check out Central Market in Shoreline and of course Whole Foods always has a plentiful selection.

Paul Goodman

Seattle Eats Out

I was going to mention James Cook but that was already covered much earlier on - it was sad...Was a regular there and then one day they closed shop.

The Cheese Cellar's web site says that the "cheese monger" there is from James Cook:

http://www.thecheesecellar.com/MainPages/T...eeseMonger.html

and that he's been touring cheese farms in Scotland and Europe in the past 2 years, so maybe not so sad :)

The Cheese Cellar's web site says that the "cheese monger" there is from James Cook:

and that he's been touring cheese farms in Scotland and Europe in the past 2 years, so maybe not so sad :)

Wow, good information to know. Thanks for the heads up, i'll make sure to give it a try and tell my fellow friends. Has it actually opened though? The website said Sept. 20...

Paul Goodman

Seattle Eats Out

Laurel! Thanks for the information...looks like Seattle is going to have a real cheese shop again. I just saw the website and indeed it looks like the real thing...

THANK GOD!!! Great artisan cheeses are truely things of beauty.

Can't wait to go see what they have.

Laurel!  Thanks for the information...looks like Seattle is going to have a real cheese shop again.  I just saw the website and indeed it looks like the real thing...

THANK GOD!!!  Great artisan cheeses are truely things of beauty.

Can't wait to go see what they have.

I went on Friday, and picked up a Pecorino Romano, English Cheddar, Istara (Basque sheep cheese), and a tiny jar of asparagus cream stuff. They have a well-displayed selection of European cheeses, with several that I've never heard of, and a lot of expensive stuff in jars (oil, vinegar, jam, pickled/cured vegetables). I like the window into the cheese storage room.