• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fish monger in Houston

fishdude

I have been lurking here for a few months and finally have absorbed enough info to want to ask a question.

I am looking for a good fish monger in Houston. I am in Pearland (Clear Lake area), but I will drive most anywhere to get something worth while. I am looking for some good sushi grade stuff, but general fish is always good.

Thanks for any help.

First... welcome. I hope you stick around and post a lot.

Check out the seafood dealers in Seabrook on the channel. Also Hillman's in Dickenson off of 146. For sushi grade stuff, you probably need to lurk around those places and get to know the folks so that they can call you when a particularly good fish comes in.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the info. I have been to several of the Kemah vendors, but their sushi selection is a little small. I have bought many other things there.

I have been to Central Market and bought some wonderful Tuna there. I am hoping to find someplace that also has some Yellowtail and maybe some octopus.

I will ask for sushi grade next time I go to Central Market.

Thanks again and let me know if anybody has any more ideas.

Central Market and Whole Foods have very good fish. My all time favorite however, both for quality and price, is Hong Kong MArket on the corner of Bellaire and Boon. They have wonderful fresh gulf fish cleaned and butchered to order.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Duh!!! How could I have forgotten Hong Kong Market?! They also have things you never thought of frozen, not to mention dried. The place really is worth making a special trip.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ok. You have me convinced to go check out Hong Kong Market.

Is this the place that is currently moving or moved to Beltway 8 and Bellaire?

They are on the corner of Bellaire and Boon. I think they have another location (that I've never been to), and it might be at Belliare and 8.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog