• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay reality show

PDC

Sorry if this has already been posted.....

From Cynthia Turner's Cynopsis (online media newsletter)

Fox has bought the US format rights to a reality show dubbed Hell's Kitchen from Granada Television, that stars Gordon Ramsay, chef and former soccer player apparently with a sailor's mouth, according to Variety. The show casts a group of chef wannabes, has them all live together, naturally, and for this show, they will also all work together. A restaurant opened specifically for this show and operated by the houseguests under Ramsay's acerbic watch, is the venue as well as the ultimate prize. The houseguests job is to run the restaurant, feeding up to 80 people a day. Those not measuring up, will be fired, expelled, down the garbage disposal. The last contestant standing, wins the restaurant. Production is expected to kick off in September

Excellent. I was starting to think that we were running out of reality show chefs to ridicule on this site now that The Restaurant is over.

For the record, Ramsay has no love for eG. Good. It will make it so much easier.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I got a call from a talent scout about a new restaurant reality show. He's holding an open call here in Atlanta, and in several other cities, and he wanted to know if I knew anyone who was interested.

He sent me a press release, and it doesn't say who the chef will be, but that it will be someone high-profile.

Hmm.

Ramsay and his restaurants were also featured on another show, Chef School (or something like that...can't remember if that was the exact name) which ran on TLC or Discovery. He was dropping what I assume were F-bombs constantly--again can't be sure because there was so much bleeping going on. :biggrin:

One particularly memorable sequence featured Ramsay scolding the hell out of a young cook, fresh out of Le Cordon Bleu-London, who had won an externship with Ramsay. I believe the incident centered around some salads which became soggy because the extern dressed them too early.

This should be fun.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

He sent me a press release, and it doesn't say who the chef will be, but that it will be someone high-profile

Possibly the culinary genius and taciturn gentleman whose "sphincter is permanently set to mist"?? :laugh: Now that would make for one very quiet show!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'd be interested!

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I had the opportunity to see the first three or four episodes of Hell's Kitchen during a trip to the UK in May and early June. The program was awful, sometimes funny, but still addictive.

The budding chefs were all Grade B celebrities -- a Coronation Street cast member, some comedians/sitcom actors, singers, a track athlete and, Edwina Curry, a Tory politician, writer, TV personality and former squeeze of former PM John Major. I grew to love to hate Edwina.

Ramsay would have trouble staying on the air here in the U.S., given the FCC's propensity for fining broadcast organizations which allow the 'F' word to be aired.

My favorite personality on the program was the emcee, Angus Deyton, who in each episode attempted (rarely with success) to interview Ramsay, who clearly had better things to do. Deyton has a pretty wicked sharp tongue and is wonderfully droll.

When I first arrived in the UK in May, I caught the last episode of another Ramsay show, "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares," which was much more informative and interesting than "Hell's Kitchen". In "Nightmares," Ramsay would attempt to take an existing but failing restaurant and whip it into shape. His language was no less salty (perhaps even more so than in "Hell's Kitchen"), but the program was superior.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Where is the show going to shot - in the US or over in the UK? Because if Ramsey is overseeing the kitchen.....

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My 2 cents...

LOVE Ramsey, saw the Chefs school episodes with him, he was a true ass kicker, made me nostalgic about my own apprenticeship.

Also saw him on a show on BBC America with a shopping bag kind of outline.

It was a slightly kinder, gentler Ramsey.

OH, and that 'Faking It' episode with him was great too, IMO.

It's going to be hard to pick a bone with him, he's the real deal, 24/7/

Question...

Jason, what's his beef with EG?

The thread on the sous chef in his employ that died?

Edited to add:

Does anyone know where people can submit to get on?

I might know some people who would be interested (not me)

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

Alright, this is the press release that I received. I'm not sure that it matches the Gordon Ramsay announcement, but the similarity seems striking, and hearing these 2 things within 24 hours seems quite coincidental.

I mentioned on another website yesterday that my biggest hesitation with signing up would be that if the "world-renowned" chef turned out to be Emeril Lagasse, I would not be able to resist the temptation to turn around and walk out.

The talent scout who called me apparantly got my phone number from my Food Tutor website.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Granada America Casting

Monday, July 12, 2004

Granada America (I’m a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here & Celebrity Boot Camp) and A. Smith & Co. (Paradise Hotel, Forever Eden & The Swan) are excited to announce production of a new network reality series.

A nationwide casting call will begin July 12th in search of a dozen aspiring chefs and would-be-restaurateurs who are looking for the culinary opportunity of a lifetime.

Under the watchful eye of a world-renowned chef, the show will put the rookies through their paces regarding all aspects of fine dining and restaurant management to determine who’s got what it takes to open their own eatery.

The producers are looking to cast charismatic, outgoing men and women over the age of 21 who have a fascination with food to star in the new series.

Whether you’ve just graduated from a culinary academy, or simply love food and think you have what it takes to open your own restaurant, we want to meet you!

Casting events will take place in the following cities:

Atlanta

New York

Boston

Minneapolis - St. Paul

San Francisco

(More cities to follow)

<Additional casting information can be found by calling our casting

hotline:800-333-6974.>

Note: This number does not seem to work.

Cities and dates are subject to change without notice. Please note

additional eligibility requirements apply.

Edited by TheFoodTutor (log)

I think you should remove the name and telephone number.

It sounds like you guys are going to have your own Hell's Kitchen alright. The restaurant as a prize will be the only change and the use of budding chefs instead of b-celebs... enjoy... It won't be the same without GR.

<Additional casting information can be found by calling our casting

hotline:800-333-6974.>

Note: This number does not seem to work.

I got a recording thanking me for calling the "Verizon Residential Toll-Free Department".

I really want to know if there are any cities closer to Louisville where they'll hold auditions. I mean, come on - not even Chicago?

edited to add: Googled Huntley's phone#, which is for A. Smith & Co. Productions in Los Angeles.

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hmm, I just got this today:

Focus on Food!

CALLING ALL ACTORS!

Casting call at The Cook's Warehouse.

Auditions in search of aspiring chefs and would-be-restaurateurs, who are looking for the culinary opportunity of a lifetime, are being taken by Granada America Casting at The Cook's Warehouse for a new network reality series.

Monday, July 19th from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Midtown

Tuesday, July 20th from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Brookhaven

Wednesday, July 21st from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Midtown

Thursday, July 22nd from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Brookhaven

The producers are looking to cast charismatic, outgoing men and women over the age of 21 who have a fascination with food to start in the new series. Whether you've just graduated from a culinary academy, or simply love food and think you have what it takes to open your own restaurant, Granada America wants to meet you! Join them at The Cook's Warehouse before your class, or just stop by!

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

Where is that? It sounds like NY, but I couldn't find a listing for it on yp.yahoo.

all Atlanta locations ..The Cook's Warehouse for a new network reality series.

Monday, July 19th from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Midtown

Tuesday, July 20th from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Brookhaven

Wednesday, July 21st from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Midtown

Thursday, July 22nd from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at Brookhaven

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Any eGulleters going to audition? If there's voting by the public, you'll have a great support out here in cyberspace.

Possibly .. there are now a number of posters from eG who live here in town .. The FoodTutor, Micropundit, agbaber (now in Italy), and some others .. Dave the Cook is here in Atlanta so we might encourage him ... :rolleyes:

I don't know which is Brookhaven and which is Midtown, but here are the addresses listed online:

Cooks Warehouse The

(404) 949-9945 4062 Peachtree Rd NE

Atlanta, GA

Cooks Warehouse The

(404) 815-4993 549 Amsterdam Av NE

Atlanta, GA

The first is in Brookhaven and the second is in Midtown ..

The first is, literally, 100 yards from my house.

I might be tempted if I was 21.

Blast! :sad:

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

The first is, literally, 100 yards from my house.

I might be tempted if I was 21.

Blast!  :sad:

Jail bait, agbaber??? :shock: and you in Italy still?? :shock::shock: the gods must not be watching out for you today ..

you coulda been a contender .. thanks and RIP Marlon ... :rolleyes:

lol! :raz::laugh:

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand