• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Highbury & Islington

'The Green' is described wincingly as a 'gaystropub' for gay people and their friends (hence the ironic faggots on the menu).  I think it's a better use of space than Nick's used to be but haven't eaten there yet.

LMAO. Really? That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled past here today. Looks much more like a bar than a restaurant and the menu posted outside was very short (maybe 15 dishes at most, certainly no more)Will try and go over the weekend, but can't say I was hugely inspired.

Looks like Rodizio Rico has opened.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

• 1 month later...

Ottolenghi goes small plates

Popped into Ottolenghi this week and they have changed their menu and moved away from a fixed starters/mains configuration to a list of about 20 small plates, which can be ordered in any combination to make whatever size of meal you want. Intention is to make the meals more flexible for pre/post theater dining or light meals. They recommend 3-4 dishes for a 'full meal'.

The food was reliably good but it did seem to me that the new menu might increase the cost of a full meal a bit - the plates were between £5-£7 each so a meal could really mount up.

In other Islington news, both San Miguel tapas bar and Cafe Olé have closed, and Seraphin is under new management but haven't looked at how the menu has changed.

Let's face it, you could have a convicted cannibal in the kitchen at Seraphim and a barman with no taste buds and it would be an improvement on the old place.

La Trouvaille has also reconceptualised with someone new in the kitchen and more laid back tartine menu during the day. The front part of the restaurant is now a bar, but I believe they serve a full menu in the evening.

Popped in Sangria, other tapas bar on Upper Street just before Christmas. Nothing to write home about. Wouldn't go back.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

La Trouvaille has also reconceptualised with someone new in the kitchen and more laid back tartine menu during the day. The front part of the restaurant is now a bar, but I believe they serve a full menu in the evening.

Interesting... I see they got a Bib Gourmand in the new Michelin guide. Probably time to try it again (strange how one bad meal counts more than any number of recommendations)

Really quite good dinner at the Draper's Arms last night. Very simple dishes but nicely done. foie gras and chicken liver parfait was as rich as it should be and a splash of truffle oil didn't seem at all superfluous. Both oysters and duck and pancetta salad were also very good. Mains were perhaps a little less good, I had a veal saltimbocca that could have been a bit more strongly flavoured, but overall a very enjoyable meal indeed. 25 quid a head with desserts and a very servicable bottle of Corbieres seemed pretty reasonable too. A very solid place I think, not flashy food but well sourced and prepared.

Ah, the Drapers Arms. It's the closest place to my home and I go there lots. I always prefer eating downstairs than in the dining room. Which is strange, because the dining room is a beautiful blue colour, but it can get really noisy. Downstairs is all warm and comforting. Glad you enjoyed it!

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

• 1 month later...
Its rare that "new", "hot", "exciting" & "islington" all appear in the same sentence but I've been asked to find just such a place.  any ideas?  Oh yes - and open on sunday's.  Not easy - but I'm sure if anyone can an egulleter can

PS ball & chain went to Lola's last night - truly awful experience was had - burnt food, very poor service, only thing for a veggie was goats cheese salad. grim

I'd have to say Almeida. I find the many traditional dish's served here very refreshing. The cooking is of a very high standard and the open plan kitchen is a joy to behold. Although I must admit I know the Head chef and have worked here in the past, I still love to eat here as often as I can. The restaurant has an excellent web site that can be reached via www.conran.com simply click on Restaurant search.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for recent recommendations not too far from Highbury and Islington station, preferably somewhere with pretty serious food, or at least seriously interesting. It may not be the throbbing gastronomic heart of london, but any recent good experiences??

I ask both for future reference and with the optimistic hope of getting a booking for Saturday. (I've tried Morgan M but no surprises, they're fully booked).

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

The Draper's Arms is good gastropub food, I've had 2 nice meals there. Not unusual things but always well cooked. Despite its Conran-ness I've had rather good experiences with the Almeida too, bistro French, especially liked the Charcutrie trolley. Mains maybe a little bland, the set menu is excellent value (18 for 3 courses I think). If Morgan M isn't to be, I'd guess those are the 2 best very nearby options. There are also the 2 semi-deli Italians, Ottolenghi and the Carluccio's, and Lola's further down upper st. of course. That said none of these really count as seriously interesting I fear, although I haven't been to Lola's and they might be a bit more unusual.

Edited by alexhills (log)

Well, there are dozens of restaurants in Upper Street which is not far from H&I tube, but the closet place I know of is The Barnsbury gastropub. Never been, but the menu reads nicely (veal chop for 11.50!) and if you look at the review section on the site, it appears to have got the thumbs up from the great and the good.

Thanks v much for the advice, it's appreciated. I must admit I'm a bit wary of gastropubs at the best of times, but especially on a Saturday night, and I was thinking of something a bit more adventurous and/or special-occasion. (I've also read that the duke of cambridge staff are up themselves, and that the drapers has perhaps gone downhill?, but this is all dubious hearsay...)

Sounds like considering an ethnic option for the former, or onion soup and confit duck at almeida for the latter. All in all, a bit of a desert for culinary inventiveness.

Perhaps I should venture further afield in NE london...?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

I would go for the Almeida if you can't get into Morgan M. I also love the charcuterie trolley and their trolley of tarts (you can sample a small slice of two or three). The service is what I feel let's them down most but not catastrophically.

I had a fairly good post-theatre experience at Ottolenghi last night but I don't think I would choose it for a special occasion.

If you don't fancy the Almeida I'd be tempted to go further afield - possibly to Clerkenwell for Moro, the Zetter, St John or Club Gascon?

I second Janice's reccomendation of the Almeida's trollies, particularly the charcuterie trolley (though, as you might guess from my name, I am rather partial to a sliver or two of cured pork). It's generally a pleasant dining experience - big tables that are quite far apart; soothing lighting etc.

The only downside for me is that they employ an overbearing, aggressive sommelier. You know the type. However, this was a year ago; he really should be gone by now!

Otherwise, Fredericks or Lolas might be worth thinking about.

The Barnsbury has recently had a new chef so I will go back soon. My last meal there was dismal.

You might want to check out the thread "what's new and exciting in Islington" for a fairly comprehensive view of Upper Street and around.

For what it's worth, Almeida is good, Ottolenghi was appalling on my last evening visit but I still like it for lunch and pastries, Fig is just horrible, horrible, horrible but the new Thai place Isarn on Upper Street warrants a second visit from me. Delicious soft shell crab with chilli and garlic, but I'd avoid the fish cakes.

I really should get back to Lolas. Fredericks is just perfect for a summer evening.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Almeida has more than one sommelier and the one we're friendly with is great and not overbearing - very French and over a number of visits he's got to know that we know (a bit) about wine. Last time we were there I asked for the best dessert wine match for one dessert and he served Pedro Ximenez cut with some Fino just to take the sweetness off it - worked perfectly but not on the wine list. As it's our closest restaurant we go here quite a lot...

I still like Ottolenghi but remain unconvinced about the small plates menu. We have not had a bad meal there but organising a coherent meal can be a bit tricky. Not a great 'special occasion' meal though.

Had our second visit to Isarn tonight - first was great, tonight was OK. Fantastic jasmine brown rice and dumplings but wish I'd read about the fishcakes 4 hours ago. First meal had mains with good meat, sensitively spiced and tasty. Tonight had fatty duck, watery green eggplant and just a lack of attention of detail.

... to avoid the fishcakes in all thai restaurants.

How do they get them so rubbery?

not just in restaurants but at home too - had some on Saturday night which we could have used for shock absorbers.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese