• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In the rains - what is Mumbai eating

What rains? Its hardly rained properly this season - just drizzles, occasional outbursts. Not that hard pouring rain that is the real monsoon and where one can happily forgot going in to work (or less happily be stuck at work). The monsoon season isn't over yet, so lets hope like crazy they still happen,

Vikram

What rains? Its hardly rained properly this season - just drizzles, occasional outbursts. Not that hard pouring rain that is the real monsoon and where one can happily forgot going in to work (or less happily be stuck at work). The monsoon season isn't over yet, so lets hope like crazy they still happen,

Vikram

hee hee hee.. can I be glad. I was looking at your post and before clicking on it thinking -- why do I torture myself.. now he will list all the things I am yearing for!

I am sure its coming... the rains.. I did a rain dance for you :wink:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Well in our home the monsoon anounces itself byt everyone getting a cold/cough/viral. My son is just getting better from a bout of all three so this weekend (hopefully) we will be able to get into the swing of things. IF IT RAINS!

Maggi with a minced green chilli thrown in and chai is my monsoon treat.... THe other is theplas, chunda and chai...

For my family I make atte ka halwa and since I have started frying (thanks to episure) I intend to surprise my husband with pakoras one really rainy day...

Kurkures are great to munch on. The new flavour is really spicy...

I think anything steaming hot, spicy and high on carbs is great in the monsoons.

Rushina

In Mumbai- Hot Batata vadas with lasan chatni, Bhuttas with salt, lime and red chillis, Kanda bhajia, Usal, Misal........

Isn't that what one get's in any Rly Stn outfits ? I remember many a time makng a lunch out of it in Bandra St., Andheri or whereever I was stuck :)

anil

I've tried to make from my memory the same vada-pav and lasanchi chatni that we used to get in the school canteen in Thane. No luck yet. That red-hot chatni particularly was fabulous. Can you imagine such spicy stuff in European/American schools?

Suman

Yes Anil, you do get all this at train stations except the bhuttas. I must point out that their imli/red chilli chatni is unique and not available outside the stations.

Si Si Senor/Senorita I agree - Bhutta are not available in in the Stn. In fact it used to be more fun getting bhutta's during rainy season, when the make-shift plastic overhead cover kept collapsing in the wind-swept showers :( - Oh! Well !

anil

It's been raining here so a friend invited me to her home for missed Bombay food. She had made some excellent Batata wadas but there was someting different about them. They were laden with asafoetida and tasted great. I complimented her and muttered something about 'hinging in the rain'..........

I dont think she is ever inviting me again.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Hi Monica!

THis thread is now applicable. Monsoons are in Mumbai! It has not stopped raining for 3 days!

been eating lots of spicy stuff!

Atte ka halva/ Pakoras/ hot and sour soup / rajma rice/ kheema pav.....

Rushina