• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delhi Club

A friend and I tried the brand new Delhi Club yesterday (right opposite the Clarendon Metro station). They have been open barely a week and are still working on the decor

I quite enjoyed their reasonably priced lunch. THe restaurant is coowned by eGullets very own BBHasin and he has used his experience at the Bombay Curry Company to create some good dishes

I really enjoyed the unusual Sakhat Kebab.. transaltes to hard kebabs literally.. they are anything but hard. minced lamb kebab grilled, then stuffed with cheddar and green chilies and then fried. Oh yes, these were good.

Another item we tasted was the boti kebab - marinated pieces of meat grilled. I am not sure what BBhasins secret is here.. but they have a pleasant tang to them

In addition to the standard fare (which we did not order) the refreshing menu boasts some new things - Delhi Pista Korma.. is a chicken dish witha pistachio sauce.. very nice and a Bengali Five Spice Shrimp curry that was delightful

In particular I also liked their mint naans.

They are still working on the place.. and I cannot wait to see what happens once everything is in its place.

Great start!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Congrats to BBhasin!

And best of luck.

Now if you'd only come over to SS for me. :smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I went to Delhi Club a couple days ago. I thought the space was very nicely colored, brightly lit, and it had a good feeling to it.

My two friends and I ordered several items:

For apps, we had samosas and cutlets. The samosas were standard. The cutlet was very tasty--not too oily, and served very hot. The sauces with it were decent. (as a comparison -- sorry to make one--the sauces at Amma's have a much more dynamic flavor).

For entrees, we had lamb saag, curried lamb in yoghurt, and some chick pea dish. The lamb could have been atad more tender, but the saag was perfect. A wonderful combination of spices, spinach and ghee. Loved it. The chick pea dish was fine, but because of my fanatical devotion to Ravi's chickpeas, I am not a good judge in this area.

On the side, we had garlic naan, and plain naan. These are not dry like at many other Indian places. They are slightly oily, cut into fours, and served in a basket. They are not crispy, and absorb sauces very well.

The staff was very attentive to our table.

My impression overall is that the food is good and served beautifully -- though some of the dishes could have been spiced more.

We were too full to try a dessert, but I am certain to return and try them. If they suck, I'm not too worried. Lazy Sundae is just around the corner for ice cream. Though, I didn't notice, but if there is carrot halwa to be had, I'm all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

this is in a good location for me.

has anyone else tried this place?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I visited Dehli Club on Monday. We really enjoyed the food, and though the service was a bit overly attentive (repeatedly interrupting our conversation when the restaurant was essentially empty at the start of our meal), we were not rushed to leave after the check came and were able to continue our conversation. Overall the service was gracious and attentive, as others have noted.

We started with the spinach fritters. Six light and fluffy fritters were accompanied by a lovely mint sauce and a tamarind sauce. It was a perfect pairing because I love mint and my friend loved the tamarind sauce, so we each essentially got our own sauces. We finished off the sauces with the fantastic garlic naan.

For entrees I ordered the tandoori mushroom and paneer dish, and my friend selected the butter chicken. The raita was a little weak, with very little cucumber flavor, but it was refreshing when paired with the tandoori mushrom and paneer dish. My friend adored her butter chicken, and though take-out menus are not yet availbale, she announced that she will be calling to order butter chicken for pick-up!

I am eager to return and test the lamb skewers that are mentioned in earlier posts, as well as other dishes that we had to nix because of my friend's allergies. The decor was a bit sparse and the red tone very bright, but this did not keep the Delhi Club from being 2/3 full by the time we left. Overall it was a wonderful meal, totalling $40 approx including one beer. I would recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

I went here last Friday and was very happy with my meal.

We started out with the aforementioned deep fried lamb kabobs with cheese in them. I was a bit disappointed, but this was probably just because I had built them up so much in my head. They were tasty though.

My dining companion had some chicken kabob entree. It sounded kinda boring, and I wouldn't have ordered it but she seemed to like it after she had drenched it in their respectable raita. I had the butter chicken, at the reccomendation of one of the above posts. It was deliciously smooth and had a nice spicy background flavor. There was a lot of extra sauce so I used some naan to sop it up.

This was a very good meal, and at just $30 it was quite a bargain.

Edited by jmc8y (log)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I ate here a couple of weeks ago for lunch and was underwhelmed.  The dishes were tasty enough, but they lacked any depth or style.  In addition, the service was very amateurishly bad.

I went to Delhi Club with four friends last night and we were also underwhelmed for the most part.

Samosas were pretty good ($3). The sauces (chutneys - please pardon my ignorance) really lived up what might otherwise be ordinary fried potatoes. Two or three orders of these for the group. I wanted to try other things, but I was with a crew that wasn't very well-versed in Indian cuisine and half pleaded "late lunch."

Naan (plain and garlic) were OK ($1.50 each). The way the order for naan was handled, though, was a little strange and made alright only by the fact that it's so cheap. We ordered one of each, but instead received at least three orders. Whatever.

For our entrees we shared two dishes of dal makhani ($8.95 per) and two of butter chicken ($12.50 per). The dal was better than the chicken IMHO which, while tender, tasted of a certain mass-produced pasta-in-tomato-sauce-in-a-can. But it was still odd in that there seemed to be some legume other than lentils mixed in there...something larger like a red bean?? I dunno. But the flavor was nice. It had a bit of a kick. I just couldn't get over the sauce in which the chicken was served...very disappointing. Maybe just a bad night?

Kingfishers for three of us, glass of chardonnay for another. Total before tip: $70. At least it was cheap.

I ate here a couple of weeks ago for lunch and was underwhelmed.  The dishes were tasty enough, but they lacked any depth or style.  In addition, the service was very amateurishly bad.

The sauces (chutneys - please pardon my ignorance) really lived up what might otherwise be ordinary fried potatoes.

What were the sauces?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

For our entrees we shared two dishes of dal makhani ($8.95 per) and two of butter chicken ($12.50 per).  ...  But it was still odd in that there seemed to be some legume other than lentils mixed in there...something larger like a red bean??  I dunno. 

hey jenny,

a place i used to go in chicago (moti mahal) also put kidney beans (or some such larger, red bean) in with the lentils in their dal makhani. was the dish creamy, as though some of the lentils had been pureed? was there something else too...maybe like slivered almonds or something crunchy...?

sorry to stalk your lentils...

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train