• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long-term storage of cheese

In CDH's question Marketing vs. Preservation, he asked about the plastic wrap that is so often the culprit to fast degeneration of cheese. You indicated that "pre-cut, plastic-wrapped cheese is perfectly fine, because it is rare that a piece is more than 48 hours old."

My query is this -- I'm quite a cheese fanatic and living in the Napa county, have access to some amazing cheeses, both imported and domestic. However, I don't necessarily want to have to shop for my cheese selection every other day to ensure freshness and I like to keep a large selection on hand (eight to ten varieties at a time).

What is the best way for a home consumer to keep a large selection of cheeses? Can you discuss how home refrigerators might damage our cheese? I guess, in short, how does one become a home-based cheese monger?

Thanks ever so much!

Segregate blues from non-blues; use plastic (Saran-type) wrap for semi-firm cheeses (Fontina, Morbier); use flimsy, bakery-stlye, pastry-grab paper for chevres and super-soft cheeses; use aluminum foil over-wrapped with plastic wrap for hard cheeses. Keep all cheeses as low in the rfrgrtr as poss. (coolest, most humidity); your home rfrgrtr is your friend, not your enemy.

Only cut off as much cheese from the host piece as you intend to wipe out at that sitting. Immediately re-wrap and re-refrigerate each host piece.

Not exactly rocket science.