• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in BC: Parksville/Coombs

dougery

My wife and I will be spending mid August up in Vancouver Island for a Dragon Boat race and have decided to take a little time off up in Parksville/Coombs area. The last time we were there we found a little Japanese restaurant gem. Does anyone have any other good recommendations for restaurants in this area? As for price/ethnicity, anything goes (the only exception is we will not be travelling with our Sunday's best, so casual attire would be prefered).

Thanks in advance!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

My wife and I will be spending mid August up in Vancouver Island for a Dragon Boat race and have decided to take a little time off up in Parksville/Coombs area. The last time we were there we found a little Japanese restaurant gem. Does anyone have any other good recommendations for restaurants in this area? As for price/ethnicity, anything goes (the only exception is we will not be travelling with our Sunday's best, so casual attire would be prefered).

Thanks in advance!

Kalvas Seafood (on the main drag) is always good. So is Captain Jims.

If you are going a bit north (Courtenay) then I would strongly recommend the Thai Kitchen if you like Thai food. I have had Thai food in many parts of North America and it is one of the best.

If you are going a bit north (Courtenay) then I would strongly recommend the Thai Kitchen if you like Thai food.  I have had Thai food in many parts of North America and it is one of the best.

Also in Courtenay is Tita's, which has excellent and surprisingly authentic Mexican.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

If you are going a bit north (Courtenay) then I would strongly recommend the Thai Kitchen if you like Thai food.  I have had Thai food in many parts of North America and it is one of the best.

Also in Courtenay is Tita's, which has excellent and surprisingly authentic Mexican.

Havent tried that one, where is it?

(the only exception is we will not be travelling with our Sunday's best, so casual attire would be prefered).

Thanks in advance!

There are not many restaurants in this part of the world where casual attire is not acceptable. We tend to be pretty laid back.

Acme in downtown Nanaimo is very good with late night service til midnight (rare in this area unless you are fast food), and also Atlas (I think thats the name) in Courtney is also very good.

Havent tried that one, where is it?

Tita's is on 6th Street. (click on the link for more info, including their menu).

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

There is a french place in Parksville that is really good - it's newish and bistro style - on the Island Highway but i cannot remember the name - it is underneath a block of condos and across from the McDonalds. I've stopped in there a couple of times - for sushi in Parksville go to Sushi Ichi - good and really cheap.