• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My favorite summer sandwich

Jean Brislance

I've enjoyed these for dinner a couple times this week:

-A couple slices of 9 grain bread, toasted

-Mayo

-3 strips of good, crispy bacon

-A couple slices of tomato

-Fresh basil leaves (in place of lettuce)

There you have it, a "BBT"! I started doing this with basil in place of lettuce a few years ago, and in my humble opinion, I think it blows away a traditional BLT. It is my favorite sandwich to have in the summer, hands down. Try it sometime if you haven't.

Now I just need the Minnesota sweet corn to ripen so I can have the perfect summer side dish to accompany the sandwich... :smile:

All the best,

Jean

Had a bagel yesterday for lunch with creamed cheese, yellow tomato, bermuda onion and basil for the first time. Great combo.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The basil sounds intriguing!

My favorite spin on the BLT was a sandwich I made last year...thick-sliced maple-cured bacon, garden fresh tomato and sliced avocado instead of lettuce, slathered with mayo on toasted whole wheat. Basil would have been a welcome addition.

[iTALIAN HOMER] Basil and Bacon...Mmmm [/iTALIAN HOMER]

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My favorite spin on the BLT was a sandwich I made last year...thick-sliced maple-cured bacon, garden fresh tomato and sliced avocado instead of lettuce, slathered with mayo on toasted whole wheat. Basil would have been a welcome addition.

[iTALIAN HOMER] Basil and Bacon...Mmmm [/iTALIAN HOMER]

Ooooh, avocado! That sounds like a fantastic addition. Thanks for the idea...I will give that a try this summer!

So, would sandwich that be called a "BABT" or a "TABB"? :biggrin:

Jean

Another twist I like is to grill 2 slices of sourdough bread in butter. Hit the ungrilled sides with mayo,avacado,tomato, ortega chili,monteray jack cheese and for meat I like bacon and turkey breast.All the above sliced thinly!Way good, Doug........

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!

Basil makes near anything better, then again, so does bacon, so combining them almost like messing with pure essence of lust and goodness.

I love fresh basil on burritos...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I've enjoyed these for dinner a couple times this week:

-A couple slices of 9 grain bread, toasted

-Mayo

-3 strips of good, crispy bacon

-A couple slices of tomato

-Fresh basil leaves (in place of lettuce)

There you have it, a "BBT"! I started doing this with basil in place of lettuce a few years ago, and in my humble opinion, I think it blows away a traditional BLT. It is my favorite sandwich to have in the summer, hands down. Try it sometime if you haven't.

Now I just need the Minnesota sweet corn to ripen so I can have the perfect summer side dish to accompany the sandwich... :smile:

All the best,

Jean

Jean, where in the Twin Cities are you getting tomatoes? Are they passable? Do they approach the heirlooms I grow that are growing ever so slowly in this summer that is having a hard time getting started?

(BTW, farmer's market here reports that early Aug. for sweet corn.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Jean, where in the Twin Cities are you getting tomatoes?  Are they passable?  Do they approach the heirlooms I grow that are growing ever so slowly in this summer that is having a hard time getting started?

(BTW, farmer's market here reports that early Aug. for sweet corn.)

I'm just buying the vine-on tomatoes at the local supermarket. Passable, yes, but nothing like home-grown!

There must be something going on with the season, because I have some heirloom tomatoes growing on my balcony, and they are growing reeeeeeally slowly, too. Basil is doing well, tomatoes are not! :wacko: