• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chapeau! or Clementine

mikeczyz

We live in LA but whenever we are in SF we goto Chapaeu. The onion soup, casoulet,duck, are all very traditional french. Service is always good and the price is fair. If you go early they have a $19 pre fix. I highly recommend. I do not know the other place.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 1 month later...

went to chapeau for dinner tonigth. had the 19.50 early bird special. started with a little teaser of yellow corn soup. french onion soup followed. duck with polenta, cress, carrots and orange sauce. lemon tart for dessert. it was all very well done. among the best meals i've had at that price point. girlfriend went with me, so i got to try her dishes as well. duo of salmon really a standout

mike

• 1 month later...

Mike, if you're interested in French bistro, try Le Petit Robert on Polk/Green. 'Swonnnnnnnnderful!

I especially like the flexibility on the wine list: everything (almost) available by glass, bottle or carafe. Seasonal menu—he knows his farmers, and they love him.

Some of Robert Cubberly's food from a farm dinner at Frog's Leap Winery this summer. One of the best "farm dinners" I've ever had: the food was so well-suited to the event. Every single dish was just gazonga. Probably the duck and the bean salad were best, and the dessert was perfect.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Where do you guys thing Watercress's $19.95 early bird menu fits on the Chapeau-Clementine continuum? Middle? Better than Clementine? Worse than Chapeau? Vice versa? thx.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

i've not been to either chapeau or clementine, but I thought Watercress was fantastic value. Really well prepared food, not too many frills but well done and a nice range of menu options. I think the menu isn't even a earlybird special, although a couple of dishes do have supplements now. The wine list really not fabulous - I ordered something French they didn't have that seemed decently priced on the list and they suggested a blended thing called 'reds' that I should have resisted harder as it was really total rubbish.... Food really quite good though and staggeringly well priced.