• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beauvais Airport

AlexBernardo

Wondering if anyone passed through Beauvais airport recently? Heard it's a zoo over there and may not even be worth the discount fare on Ryanair to catch a flight from there. Also, what's cab fare from central Paris to get there?

I'm thinking of taking a flight from there to Girona soon.

Thanks

Alex

Roissy (CDG airport) is 27 k from Paris. Beauvais is 88 k from Paris.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I don't know about a cab, but the Irish Pub at Porte Maillot across the side street from the Concorde Lafayette (where the AIr France drops off), has shuttles a few times a week to Beauvais. Ifyou are near there stop by and check their bulletin board. I don't think this is offered by the pub but they let someone hang up their advertisements there.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Shuttle service (10 € each way per person) to and from Paris-Beauvais Airport and Paris-Porte Maillot.

The tickets must be purchased directly on the buses or in the arrival lounge from the machines at the airport.

• Tél.33 158 050 845

• Fax. 33 158 050 844 • Tél. 33 344 114 686

The departure from Paris is located at the bus park on the Boulevard Pershing, near the hotel Concorde Lafayette.

Buses leave Paris 3h before each flight departure. Be at the bus stop 15 minutes before the departure.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The Beauvals airport site also states that a taxi from Paris should run anywhere from 100 € to 160 € depending on traffic and whether the night charge is in effect. The shuttle service seems well priced.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Bux, John, Raisab, Thanks for the very helpful information. I will post a report after I get back from my trip. The Ryanair flight to Girona is cheap and enticing (about $130 roundrip), but the flight schedules are very few. I may just end up taking TGV to Perpignan, then drive to Girona.

Alex

You probably have lots to places to go to, but last year we went to La Placa or La Plaza, depending on language, in nearby Madremanya (it's in the Michelin agglomeration of Girona/Gerona) and stayed (3 cool renovated rooms) and ate very well. It was run by a young couple, the chef having been at or influenced by ElBulli.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

When are you planning on going? You might check Air France, Iberia and Air Europa, they have flights from CDG to Barcelona for $174 (round tripincluding taxes), then you can take a train or drive to Girona. There are all sorts of fares depending on when you are leaving, and how long you are staying.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

That's a great tip, Mrs. B, because the last time I checked with Air France it was more like $300-plus roundtrip from CDG. I'm going in early September so I hope the deals are still happening at that time.

Another alternative I'm thinking is to just check in at a hotel near Beauvais airport the day before to avoid the hassle of trying to catch the one shuttle from central Paris to make a 6am Ryanair flight. But I wonder how far Beauvais is from CDG?

On another note, John, I haven't heard of that place but I'd certainly want to try some El Bulli-type food when I get there since I don't think I could get reservations or even afford it at El Bulli. But a restaurant we'll definitely try, within Girona itself, is El Celler. It's got 2 Michelin stars and I heard it's really good and very reasonably priced.

Alex

a restaurant we'll definitely try, within Girona itself, is El Celler. It's got 2 Michelin stars and I heard it's really good and very reasonably priced.

El Celler de Can Roca--an excellent choice. It would be a pity to be in Girona and not dine there. It too is likely to require reserving, but I doubt it is booked through the season as is El Bulli. We were there about two years ago. I suspect we booked about a month in advance and I know they were fully booked when we dined there on a Saturday night. It has been well recommended on the Spain forum.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

If Beauvais airport is anything like Ryanair's other facilities (e.g., Charleroi, Carcassonne etc.) then you should really expect a zoo. The only reason any sane person would use this airline is price. They can offer extraordinarily cheap flights at times but they are not always necessarily the cheapest option – so check first.

Not only are the prices cheap - everything about Ryanair is cheap and nasty. Can anybody confirm the story that cabin and ground staff training has been outsourced to Aeroflot? There are plenty of horror stories around about how they treat passengers but then nobody else will give you an aller/retour fare to the Mediterranean for €50. The bus service in and out of Paris is regular (several times a day) and fairly reliable. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have flown in and out of beauvais several times in the past year. the airport was not a zoo and the shuttle to and from the airport well organized.it just takes over 1 hr unfortunately.but you can not beat the ryan air fares.The flights left and arrived on time.