• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak to use in a cheesesteak

Hiya,

So, if I wanted to prepare an authenticish cheesesteak at home, what kind of steak should I buy to do it? I have googled and seen Ribeye, top round, and sirloin all mentioned. The general consensus (and I agree) is that Steak-um is not an acceptable solution.

However, cheesesteaks tend to use a good deal of meat, and aren't that pricey. Ribeye is pricey, so I am wondering if that is what the places up in Philadelphia really use. Anyone want to shed some light on this for me? What type of steak, and how to slice/chop/etc to get that really authentic result?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

You might try shaved beef from Trader Joe's. I've had it in straccetti con rughetta: it was great for that, and I don't see why it wouldn't be good for cheesesteaks. I don't know the price, but from TJ's, it can't be too expensive.

Hmm, I might have to give that a try. I am not against paying for Ribeye, if that is what the places actually use, I didn't want to give the wrong impression. I just never thought they took actual good steak quality meat and chopped it all up for cheesesteaks...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

My brother-in-law and his son, both of them born and raised in Philadelphia, run a chain of hoagie shops in a western US city. When I was out there last summer, I asked him this question, and he told me they used ribeye. Doubt must have showed on my face, because he tugged my arm and took me to the walk-in freezer. Inside were at least 25 boneless, lip-on ribeye subprimals. They freeze them to make the slicing easier (he demonstrated this for me, too). When I asked him about the cost, he showed me the scale, marked with red nail polish at the appropriate weight, that they use for portion control.

Hint: it's less than you think.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I use boneless ribeye sliced like a quarter to a third of an inch thick.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hmm, so ribeye it is...

I know my knife won't slice a frozen steak, but my food processor has a cool new spinning slicing blad I've been dying to try out. Cheesesteaks here I possibly come...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Do you have a Korean supermarket near you? Look in the meat section, for bulgogi. It's nice and thin ribeye, already sliced. Just cook in a searing hot cast iron skillet or griddle, with peppers & onions, instead of a sweet marinade.

Hmm, so ribeye it is...

I know my knife won't slice a frozen steak, but my food processor has a cool new spinning slicing blad I've been dying to try out. Cheesesteaks here I possibly come...

I find that you don't have to freeze it solid to get thin slices. Just an hour in your average home freezer (-10 f or so) will make it solid enough to slice it as thinly as you could want. I'm pretty sure I couldn't slice a steak that's been frozen solid by hand and I am not so sure that my kitchenaid food processor ( http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=45446 ) could either...

If you try it, let me know how that works.

If you're referring to my comment about premade slices, you don't need that good a knife.

After you put it on the grill (in the frying pan?), you just break it up with your utensil of choice.

They're basically less than a quarter of an inch thick.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 10 years later...

>>Copies of the steak sandwich, typically outside of Philadelphia, were rib eyes.

there's an exception to every rule.

http://www.genosteaks.com/about/

"

The ingredients are simple and never greasy – thinly sliced rib-eye steak, melted cheese, oven-fresh baked bread and delicately grilled onions. Awaiting your piping hot sandwich on the counter outside are ketchup, mustard, and relish.

"

fiftydollars wrote:  "I am not so sure that my kitchenaid food processor could either

I was going to add the same comment, frozen solid meat would probably require a bandsaw, I doubt even a meat slicer would work.

p

it's not frozen frozen.  it's partially thawed.  and it works duck soup easy.

chilling any meat to near frozen makes for a stiffer mass which one can cut/slice/dice/mince by manual or machine means much easier and much more consistent.