• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Verbena uses

viaChgo

I have some lemon verbena growing in the garden this year because I love the smell of it. I'll be making some lemon verbena simple syrup to sweeten iced tea, make sorbet, and maybe make some lemon verbena sugar too. Does anyone have any other ideas? Are there any savory applications that it might work in?

LV & Zook Soup: steam LV with cubed zucchini then puree; add some yogurt, S&P and chill. Immersion blend to serve with a chiffonade of fresh LV.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Other than the gardening part, here's a Lemon Verbena thread with suggestions about using it.

I hope some of it helps. :smile:

edit: opps. I didn't get to carswell's post before I zinged this one out... :blush:

I used it today in making some white peach jam with lemon verbena. It is wonderful. :cool:

Edited by beans (log)

...and after all that, you can name your daughter after it.

(Melissa)

[/smartass]

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm surprised no one said verbena infused oil yet.... that stuff is the bomb-beezy

plus I second the ice cream, and I raise it a sorbet...Verbena sorbet is SO GOOD.

Shit, you can use LV wherever you would use lemon....it is a nice change.

Plus, verbena cream sauce for salmon.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

If you want to get lemon flavor into milk, without the danger of curdling, use lemon verbend, crush the leaves and infuse the leaves directly in the milk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In a pinch LV can substitute for lemongrass. Or try a tiny bit in a salad.

I'm intrigued by herbs like LV that can provide tastes that are usually provided by other ingredients. I've grown lemon balm (quite a weed) but I think I like lemon verbena better. I'm also interested in lemon myrtle, which apparently is the "lemoniest" of all.

My other substitutes include salad burnett (for cucumber) and lovage (for celery)

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue