• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueur Recommendations

Rien

I've just begun dabbling in the cocktail world and I'm looking to add a few more liqueurs to my arsenal. In particular, I'm interested in a maraschino liqueur, a triple sec/curacao (I currently have Gran Gala), and an amaretto.

For maraschino liqueur, Luxardo seems to be the standard. I also see a lot of cherry flavored beverages from Germany, but I don't believe they are acceptable substitutes. Are their any other options available?

For triple sec/curacao, my problem is pretty much the opposite: too many choices. It seems like they break down into those w/o brandy (Cointreau, standard Triple Sec) and those with brandy (Grand Marnier, Gran Gala). As I said above, I've got Gran Gala and I've been using it wherever Cointreau/Triple Sec/Curacao are called for. Would many drinks benefit from a non-Brandy version? What brands do people recommend and for what purposes? I'm curious about Luxardo Triplum, Citronge, Marie Brizzard, Van Gogh, and, of course, Grand Marnier and Cointreau.

Last question is on Amaretto. Di Saronno is the de facto standard. Are any of the other brands - Lazzaroni, Luxardo, etc. - better, at least in certain applications?

Many thanks for your assistance.

rw

First, welcome to eG Rien! :cool:

Regarding maraschino liqueur others will happily weigh in on it. I currently reside in a state that does not allow it for sale on its list of imported cordials. :angry: There is a not very long ago thread on the Cocktail forum about Aviations wherein many discussed maraschino liqueur. That you may find to be helpful.

Most however will depend upon your own taste and preference.

I'll enjoy Grand Marnier in a golden margarita (I find the honey like warmth pairs well with a lovely tequila) but will never like Grandma in a Cosmo. Only Cointreau will due. :smile: There are many differences of oranges and the locales wherein each orange liqueur is distilled. Are you interested in the exact specifics?

If possible, take the opportunity to sample. Do you have those little mini bottles available for sale where you reside? Minimal investment and optimal experimentation.

Cheers!

I will confess a fondness for Licor 43 (also known as "Quarenta y Tres"), a vanilla and herb liqueur form Mexico to give drinks a vanilla flavor. One of the cocktails we make here at Rouge is called a Piñata and it contains:

2.5 oz. Stoli Vanilla

1.5 oz. Licor 43

1.5 oz. Pineapple juice

Shake together and strain into a sugar rimmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Muy delicioso! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've just begun dabbling in the cocktail world and I'm looking to add a few more liqueurs to my arsenal. In particular, I'm interested in a maraschino liqueur, a triple sec/curacao (I currently have Gran Gala), and an amaretto.

For maraschino liqueur, Luxardo seems to be the standard. I also see a lot of cherry flavored beverages from Germany, but I don't believe they are acceptable substitutes. Are their any other options available?

For triple sec/curacao, my problem is pretty much the opposite: too many choices. It seems like they break down into those w/o brandy (Cointreau, standard Triple Sec) and those with brandy (Grand Marnier, Gran Gala). As I said above, I've got Gran Gala and I've been using it wherever Cointreau/Triple Sec/Curacao are called for. Would many drinks benefit from a non-Brandy version? What brands do people recommend and for what purposes? I'm curious about Luxardo Triplum, Citronge, Marie Brizzard, Van Gogh, and, of course, Grand Marnier and Cointreau.

Last question is on Amaretto. Di Saronno is the de facto standard. Are any of the other brands - Lazzaroni, Luxardo, etc. - better, at least in certain applications?

Many thanks for your assistance.

rw

Anything labeled "cherry brandy" will be substantively different from Maraschino -- sweeter and less bitter. Cherry Heering is probably the best known of the non-Maraschino cherry liqueurs. As for Maraschino, I've only tried Luxardo, so I have no basis of comparison with other brands.

I think there's a big difference for cocktails between the brandy-based orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier and the triple sec/curacao family. I like Grand Marnier and similar liqueurs, but the brandy flavor can be unwelcome in some drinks. It's not that making drinks with Grand Marnier instead of triple sec is a bad thing, but you should know that the flavor profile can be very different. It's definitely worth buying a bottle of a high quality triple sec to compare.

As far as choosing a brand, the first thing to look for in the non-brandy orange liqueurs is the proof, which can vary substantially. You want a high proof, not because of the alcohol, exactly, but because the lower proof triple secs tend to be god-awful sweet. Cointreau is fabulous, of course, but I find that Marie Brizzard (at almost the same proof as Cointreau) is virtually indistinguishable in cocktails at just over half the price. Gary Regan, in his Q&A here, recommended the Van Gogh version, but I haven't tried it, so I can't comment personally.

• 5 months later...
...Last question is on Amaretto. Di Saronno is the de facto standard. Are any of the other brands - Lazzaroni, Luxardo, etc. - better, at least in certain applications?

Many thanks ...

Anyone?

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

As Rien says, Amaretto Di Saronno is the standard. I can't imagine that there are any particular drinks where one would favor a different brand over that, if price is no consideration. And actually, since the distribution in the US is so much lower, brands like Lazzaroni and Luxardo are usually more expensive than Di Saronno.

My general rule of thumb for home use is to stay away from well brands like Hiram Walker, which never tastes natural to me.

--

I think there's a big difference for cocktails between the brandy-based orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier and the triple sec/curacao family. I like Grand Marnier and similar liqueurs, but the brandy flavor can be unwelcome in some drinks. It's not that making drinks with Grand Marnier instead of triple sec is a bad thing, but you should know that the flavor profile can be very different. It's definitely worth buying a bottle of a high quality triple sec to compare.

I happen to like Cointreau, for what its worth.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I will confess a fondness for Licor 43 (also known as "Quarenta y Tres"), a vanilla and herb liqueur form Mexico to give drinks a vanilla flavor. 

Katie....have you ever tried

Xanath -- a vanilla liqueur that has been made in Veracruz for over 50 years.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I will confess a fondness for Licor 43 (also known as "Quarenta y Tres"), a vanilla and herb liqueur form Mexico to give drinks a vanilla flavor. 

Katie....have you ever tried

Xanath -- a vanilla liqueur that has been made in Veracruz for over 50 years.

Jaymes:

I have neither tried that nor seen it available anywhere in PA. But that's not saying much given that a lot of the more "marginal" liqueurs aren't carried by the PLCB. The only other vanilla flavored thing I've seen in wide distribution here in PA (other than low end vanilla "schnapps") is Tuaca from Italy.

What is the Xanath like? Is it very viscous and sweet? Pure vanilla or other herbs and flavorings? How is it usually served?

I do love me some vanilla. Especially if it there's liquor involved. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The only other vanilla flavored thing I've seen in wide distribution here in PA (other than low end vanilla "schnapps") is Tuaca from Italy.

What is the Xanath like? Is it very viscous and sweet?  Pure vanilla or other herbs and flavorings?  How is it usually served?

Ah, Tuaca....my favorite winter drink....."Hot Apple Pie"....Tuaca and mulled apple cider, topped with whipped cream.

Xanath is a liqueur, so of course, it's sweet. But I would say that it's not one of the heaviest, nor sweetest, of liqueurs. I don't recall any other herbs in the flavor, just vanilla.

I first tried it in Mexico and really liked it. Came back to Texas and couldn't find it in any of the stores. Was just about to order some online, but my local boozeshop called and said they had gotten some in for me. I'll bet you could have some ordered up there, too, without too much trouble.

And it's a beautiful bottle....like a large vanilla bean.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The only other vanilla flavored thing I've seen in wide distribution here in PA (other than low end vanilla "schnapps") is Tuaca from Italy.

What is the Xanath like? Is it very viscous and sweet?  Pure vanilla or other herbs and flavorings?  How is it usually served?

Ah, Tuaca....my favorite winter drink....."Hot Apple Pie"....Tuaca and mulled apple cider, topped with whipped cream.

Xanath is a liqueur, so of course, it's sweet. But I would say that it's not one of the heaviest, nor sweetest, of liqueurs. I don't recall any other herbs in the flavor, just vanilla.

I first tried it in Mexico and really liked it. Came back to Texas and couldn't find it in any of the stores. Was just about to order some online, but my local boozeshop called and said they had gotten some in for me. I'll bet you could have some ordered up there, too, without too much trouble.

And it's a beautiful bottle....like a large vanilla bean.

I'm on a mission! :biggrin: I may have to check out some neighboring states for it (shhhh...don't tell on me!) but I will definitely track some of it down. It sounds absolutely delicious!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!