• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Cookies

Hi folks - an acquaintance needs to purchase several dozen cookies for a reception after an arts event, and is soliciting suggestions on where to find large quantities of really excellent ones!

So have at it - where should she shop? I'm not sure what her budget is like, but for the moment let's assume it's not a huge problem. If we're talking like $5 per cookie, that might be an issue, though.

Thanks!

Kathleen

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Ruby et Violette on W 50th St.

These cookies are not cheap (not $5 each by any means, but at $18 a pound, a dozen cookies (roughly) to the pound, more like, say, $1.50 each retail) but they are the best I've tasted from any shop in Manhattan. Not too long ago, a client sent a big assorted gift basket to my wife's office, and she brought a few home for me (that's love, right there.)

Since it's a reception for an arts organization, I'd call R et V and tell them that - I wouldn't be surprised if a modest price break were to be offered. They are definitely capable of delivering catering-quantities of cookies to you on pretty short notice.

Good luck!

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

speaking of cookies, has anyone tried the most scrumptious cookies at Levain bakery on the upper west side?..they are huge but perfectly cooked..crusty on the outside yet chewy and just so sweet on the inside...if you were to stop by I am sure they would make "baby" ones for you for a reception...

also people have been raving about Crumbs, (on upper east and west sides) however I have only had their cakes and cupcakes....

also William Greenberg's butter cookies could be perfect for a post-art reception..(upper east side on madison) a nyc classic!

(and dont forget to get a sticky bun for yourself while there)