• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum's the Word

Ed Hamilton

good read. I am still having a tricky time as far as which ones are sipping and which are good in mixed drinks. I have come to not like anything orangey with a rum drink I make. A simple basic daiquiri works really well for me but I like it better with the Appleton Estate Rum. I gotta get another bottle to try. I think I will be trying the Flor De Cana. Thanks for the wonderful tips.

Cool article!

I just don’t understand the reference o Cognac made in Spain with the Solera blending technique. (In the text about Matusalem grand reserva). As I understand Cognac can only be named Cognac if it's from the corresponding district in France.

It must go by another name in Spain, or do they call it just Brandy maybe?

Anyone have good links about the Solera blending technique in detail?

Too bad they mixed up the Gran Reserva and the Clasico.

I need to try the Platino and the Brugal white. All the others are good. Although I was a little disappointed with the Bacardi 8.

Salud

I'm pretty sure that the Solera is used for Madeira...or at least that's what I read.

They got Madeira originally from overheated wine baking in the holds of cross-Atlantic ships in the 'ol days. So, the best way to duplicate that back in the old country was the solera technique.

Bruce

Cool article!

I just don’t understand the reference o Cognac made in Spain with the Solera blending technique. (In the text about Matusalem grand reserva). As I understand Cognac can only be named Cognac if it's from the corresponding district in France.

It must go by another name in Spain, or do they call it just Brandy maybe?

Anyone have good links about the Solera blending technique in detail?

Its not Cognac. The proper term is BRANDY DE JEREZ or SOLERA GRAN RESERVA. Which for what the Solera system was invented.

http://www.egullet.com/?pg=ARTICLE-perlowbrandy

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have been trying for several years to get some more information about Matusalem's solera process and have come up short. A couple of nagging questions are why are the 10 and 15 solera blends the same color?

Also before production was moved to the Dominian Republic a few years ago, did they move 20, and more, year-old barrels of their rum from St Croix where their rum was previously being distilled?

I like the rum, but wonder what is really going on?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.