• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tragic MooLatte

Andrew Fenton

I thought it was delicious, and we tried 2 of the 3 available flavors: mulatto and choctoroon, and we're looking forward to trying decafro.

Does it make me a bad person if this made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes?

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I had a chat a short time ago with a friend who just happens to be half African-American and half Norwegian.

When I mentioned the debate about the DQ MooLatte, she broke up with laughter. She said she would never have thought of it as being non-PC on her own. Her mother is originally from Mississippi, a high school teacher who met her father while on sabbatical in Europe in 1962.

Liz told me that she has never heard the word spoken, has only seen it in books. She assumed it was pronounced mew-latto and so did not associate it with the MooLatte when she saw the commercial. She just thought the woman in the commercial was a little ditzy. She said that if someone is going to get upset about this they have too much time on their hands and are indeed a little too PC, i.e. politically constipated. (Liz is an attorney.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

So really, seriously, the majority of the people posting here would rather see the tons of cups and materials needlessly go into a landfill (not to mention all the replacement cups, banners etc. that would need to be reproduced for the newly named drink), just to avoid possibly offending a few people's PC sensibilities? That's nuts to me- you're trading one definite negative affect on the environment for the possible PC benefits of seeming sensitive to the concerns of a small group of people, most of whom don't even see the perceived slight until it's pointed out to them. *Shrug* we all have our own priorities, I guess, but if I worked in DQ marketing I know what choice I'd be advocating- lay low and let the PC storm blow over.

I am not advocating DQ scrap everything and start over. I made a rather offhand suggestion of a slight name change, adding two oo s, but it was rather in jest.

I also can't understand why some "Native Americans" want sports teams, etc., to stop using Amerind names. I always thought it was an honor, not an insult.

I can understand why they would not want to see a product named "squaw bread" in a market but that is very different, that is an insulting term. I have cousins who are half Choctaw and they refer to themselves as "indians" and think the whole name business is ridiculous.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I too sometimes get tired of the Native American label, which I use here simply as a way to distinguish and as an honorific for the TRUE Indians who post. What I really wish for is something faster to type.

I agree with the names crap. Carrydown P.C. crap. When the music awards were on this year, Outkast did a SUPER job of this 25th Century tribal-version of Hey-yah, and the next morning three of my serious N/A webs had memos calling for an apology and a free concert at the gathering of tribes. Eeesh.

Not every reaction to offensive speech is motivated by "political correctness." Sometimes when you have a light-brown drink and you accidentally name it after light-skinned black people, changing the name is just the decent thing to do. Those who are obsessing over the political correctness of other vocabulary challenges are missing the point of this one: it's not just that the word sounds like mulatto; it's the sound of the word coupled with the color of the drink. The cups will wind up in a landfill anyway, but DQ's corporate reputation doesn't have to as well. Hopefully they're made of politically correct biodegradeable, recyclable material that wasn't tested on animals.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am with you for changing the name. It can upset people and what is worse to me, little sprouts who have no idea of word meanings could be running around being unintentionally annoying. I do agree that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE should have cut this in the project stage.

Okay, I tried the mocha flavor, and it was pretty tragic. I'm fond of the Frappuccino and the Tully's milkshake, and I felt this drink was in a dangerous no-man's-land between the two. It's got the ice crystals of the Frappucino, but the richness of ice cream. I wasn't impressed, plus I had to say the word "MooLatte" into the drive-thru menu. I still drank most of it, of course.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I didn't notice the double meaning at first... I was completely stunned that she preferred that MILKSHAKE over a real iced coffee. :blink: Then when she ran into the door, I kept thinking, "It can't be that good." I don't even like Starbucks Frapuccino, so I don't think this would appeal to me at all...and then there's the name. :hmmm: I think a lot of the people that come up with these names really hate their jobs...or something. Is there any excuse for MooLatte or those awful weight loss hormone commercials with that really annoying man??

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

I grew up in the South and because we always pronunced it "mew- instead of moo" i completely missed the similarity when the ad first came on. I probably will not make a special stop at the DQ to try one so all of the fuss is about more than I am willing to waste time on.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

changing the name is just the decent thing to do.

DQ's corporate reputation doesn't have to as well.

Why is changing the name the "decent thing to do"? How will DQ's corporate reputation be sullied? Your reaction seems overblown.

I can hardly imagine that Al Sharpton or any other important black personality is going to organize a protest over this, given that they've more important things to do in light of the coming conventions and elections. And do you think that they would really care?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Ok i might be missing the point but I am an aussie and from where i sit as a disinterested person it seems like theres a little bit of political correctness gone mad here - frankly I dont see it as the slightest bit offensive at all, i think theres just some people who lilke making mountains out of molehills..

Mind you one of the most popular cheeses here is called Coon which is australian slang (and offensive slang) for an Aboriginal Person (and the cheese has been around for decades) - yet when a self serving activist tried to get it banned he failed completely because no one, not even the aboriginees who were supposed to be offended, cared. As more than one person put it - Its just cheese.

We can be far too sensitive to this stuff and frankly political correctness in all its forms has gone way too far, its about time we all stood up and said enough is enough.

EDIT : and apparently the New Zealanders arent offended by the Kiwi shoe polish either nor are the Japanese by the Jap pumpkin but im told theres some concern over the use of the 'American' hot dog label because people might think theyre made with real americans.....

Edited by monkeyc (log)

The Moolatte thing is just a symptom of something that's struck me about DQ's advertising for a bit: why do they need to annoy us so much in their commercials? This year it's a blindfolded woman walking into glass walls, last year it was a sort of dumb&dumber approach. Suffice to say I haven't been spending any money, of any color, in DQ.

Before I went to culinary school, I worked in a marketing division of a major corporation. There is a tendency among marketeers to jump on what *sounds* lovely, whatever might be euphonious. If someone happens to point out that it is actually stupid and insensitive, they might take that into consideration. But they might not, if they like the sound of the word. Especially with product names. This might blow up in DQ's corporate face or it might fade away. I know which *I* wish would happen, but that's just me.

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

And, of course, the BIG question is: Is there anyone here who would actually go into Dairy Queen?

Both Fat Guy and I do. Frequently.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And, of course, the BIG question is: Is there anyone here who would actually go into Dairy Queen?

I know I wouldn't. So I would think that this is moot.

I do, occasionally. So sue me.

Wait....don't.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Went to a Dairy Queen drive through for the first time in years last weekend. The lure was the MooLatte. I was the captive of my sister and friend. Since it was about 95 and 75% humidity, they insisted on a MooLatte, mocha flavored.

Actually quite good. Loved the ice crystals and it sure did a good job of cooling us down. I actually think I froze my brain. :wacko:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I know I wouldn't. So I would think that this is moot.

Dairy Queen's chocolate dipped cones are AWESOME :wub: , and I'll fight anyone who says they aren't. :angry:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Timothy Noah needs to get a job where he doesn't have quite so much time on his hands.

Why? I imagine he's very happy with the one he already has. I certainly would be.

On, and to keep it food related...I've been known to enjoy a blizzard or 2.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)