• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One lunchtime meal in Atlanta -- where?

MaeveH

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a repeat-type question, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the threads...

My husband and I will be in Atlanta for 6 hours on a stopover from Montreal to Peru. We're hoping to pop into town from the airport for lunch, and would love suggestions as to where to go.

I certainly don't want to pigeonhole Atlanta cuisine, but I do want to try something I can't get in Montreal, where we have many fine restaurants (french, ital, asian, etc). Anything southern, nouveau southern?

Or please do direct me to threads/websites that might help.

Thanks very much in advance!

Maeve

Anything southern, nouveau southern?

Or please do direct me to threads/websites that might help.

a very good beginning!!

My choice would be The Horseradish Grill .. nouveau southern and lovely ... not open for lunch on Saturdays:

HG website

please be aware that the traffic here is not great and that you still must get back to the airport in time to do the security stuff ...

lotsa websites on this link! enjoy your trip and meal here in Atlanta! :biggrin:

South City Kitchen (open for lunch) .. reasonably accessible to the airport

Watershed website?

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Oh my god, it's been way way WAY too long since I've been there.

I always loved their extra spicy virgin bloody mary's (i was a weird kid, I also loved virgin margaritas on the rocks....ie. sour mix), and their fried chicken is excellent. I also remember having a whole, wood grilled trout one time that was outstanding.

They have a great garden in the back where they get a lot of their herbs and stuff, and the quality has always been fantastic.

We used to go there after church one Sunday a month.

ah, memories.

I will definately have to go when I get back home.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Go to Watershed in Decatur (the website Gifted Gourmet links to above is correct).

Here's why you would be insane to go anywhere else:

1. It's very good. Traditional food, but with great wines an option.

2. It serves lunch.

3. It's got a sort of famous pedigree---Scott Peacock, the chef, just published a cookbook with Edna Lewis (you can buy the cookbook there), and it's owned by one of the Indigo Girls (a local musical duo if you didn't already know).

4. You can easily get there using PUBLIC TRANSIT. The MARTA train goes directly into the airport. Board it (the station is adjacent to baggage claim) going north (the only direction it goes from the airport, so this part is very easy) and change at the Five Points station to the eastbound train. Get off in Decatur and stroll to Watershed, about five blocks.

Do note that it will be hot as heck, so wear comfortable clothing/shoes. If you're really lazy you could catch a cab from the MARTA station to the restaurant.

No traffic hassles. You'll have been able to time your trip from the airport to Decatur, so estimate the same for the return trip. If you've got leftover time you could browse some of the little shops on your way back to the Decatur MARTA station.

Can you pee in the ocean?

4. You can easily get there using PUBLIC TRANSIT. The MARTA train goes directly into the airport. Board it (the station is adjacent to baggage claim) going north (the only direction it goes from the airport, so this part is very easy) and change at the Five Points station to the eastbound train. Get off in Decatur and stroll to Watershed, about five blocks.

This is absolutely inspired, as usual for therese, and is the most sensible solution in all respects!

Thanks for the input, therese, and I hope your husband John Kerry wins the election! :laugh:

Yes, now that I think about it, that is the best bet.

It's just that I never think of Watershed as being easily accessable, since it's actually hard to get to from where I live. To take transit, I'd have to take the train South from Buckhead to Five Points, switch trains and get out in Decatur. And in a car, it can be not so easy, either.

I was once offered a job in Watershed's kitchen and part of the reason I turned it down was because it had taken more than a 45 minute drive to get there for the interview, and it wasn't even at a particularly troublesome time of day.

Wow. Watershed looks like a winner! (PoBoys! I've always wanted to try one. to a Canadian they're as mythical as a unicorn...) I must admit to being tempted by Horseradish, but I suspect if airport security really is as horrendous as you say it is, I'd best err on the side of caution and stay closer to my flight. Other than the little shops, is there anything else I might see around Decatur? I'll be getting on a long flight and would like a bit of a hoof about beforehand.

I appreciate all your input! You Southerners know how to make a gal welcome.

Maeve

The Coke Factory!!

oh, Decatur...umm...you could listen to some Outkast? :biggrin:

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

The Coke Factory!!

oh, Decatur...umm...you could listen to some Outkast?

Um, what?

I think agbaber may be referring to a sort of museum downtown called World of Coke. If you had a lot of time left over you could break up your return trip and get off at Five Points. I've not been, but my kids have, and most people who go say it's at least interesting. History of the company, samples of Coke products from around the world, some sort of big odd soda fountain.

I'm not quite getting the Outkast reference. Yes, they're from Atlanta (possibly even Decatur), but I'd be hard put to cite a Decatur locale that would feature much music by Outkast.

Anyway, were I entertaining out of town guests who wanted to see something interesting after lunch in Decatur (other than the cute little downtown), I'd probably take them to the Dekalb Farmers Market. There's a thread somewhere on the Southeast forum about it. Very cool, not your usual food shopping experience. But you'd need to take a cab from Watershed (which they could call for you as you're ordering dessert) and then a cab from the DFM (which the information desk right inside the front door could call for you).

But you're really not going to have that much time left over: by the time you get through customs and immigration (which you'll have to do here in Atlanta, I think, even though your luggage eventually goes on to Peru---even if your luggage is checked through you'll have to go through immigration) you'll have eaten up about an hour. Count on another hour (less, but just to be safe) to get to Decatur, and another hour to return. You want to be back at the airport two hours before your flight, and so that leaves you two hours to eat. Six hours goes by pretty quickly, doesn't it?

As for recommendations, a po' boy is not classic for the region (though everything at Watershed is good). The salmon croquettes or hot vegetable plate would actually be the most classic things on the lunch menu.

Oh, I just thought of another option if you do end up with extra time: the original Decatur courthouse has been turned into a museum. I've not been (geez, I need to get out, don't I?) but I'll check on the opening times, etc.

Just a couple of random notes. Therese's plan is terrific.

Alternate sightseeing: Fernbank Science Center is not too far away -- a short cab ride through some pretty (and some pretty dull) neighborhoods, and when you get there: really great dinosaurs. If you like walking around nice campuses, Agnes Scott College is very close to the square in Decatur.

I'm a big fan of Watershed, but in about the same amount of time it took you to get to Decatur, you could get to Lenox Square. Brasserie le Coze, The Dining Room and probably a couple of other decent places are within walking distance (but again, dress for comfort), and all of Buckhead is within a cab ride.

(Outkast is from Decatur.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Our local posters have done an excellent job of presenting you with a number of interesting options .. may I say that I hope that your far too brief taste of Atlanta during your stopover, will only serve to whet your appetite, not only for the food we have here now but for this remarkable city with its numerous attractions! Do come back again, if possible, and share your impressions! :biggrin:

Alternate sightseeing: Fernbank Science Center is not too far away -- a short cab ride through some pretty (and some pretty dull) neighborhoods, and when you get there: really great dinosaurs. If you like walking around nice campuses, Agnes Scott College is very close to the square in Decatur.

The museum with the dinosaurs (and lots of other very cool stuff) is the Fernbank Natural History Museum, not the Fernbank Science Center (which houses a planeterium and is basically a teaching resource for Dekalb County public schools). Both are adjacent to a nice forest, the Fernbank Forest, which you could walk through except that it will likely be very hot.

Another museum option would be the Michael C. Carlos Museum on the Emory University campus. Beautiful campus for walking around, and the museum has an interesting collection of art and archeology. Campus nearly student-free at this time of year.

in about the same amount of time it took you to get to Decatur, you could get to Lenox Square. Brasserie le Coze, The Dining Room and probably a couple of other decent places are within walking distance (but again, dress for comfort), and all of Buckhead is within a cab ride.

Lenox Square is a shopping mall, and Brasserie le Coze is a French restaurant (which hasn't impressed me thus far) in the mall. Maeve's from Montreal---I think she could skip Brasserie le Coze and sleep soundly. And does The Dining Room serve lunch? And what would a person do in Buckhead during the day other than shop?

South City Kitchen also serves lunch, is near MARTA, and close to the Arts Center/High Museum (very nice art museum), but the food's not as good as Watershed.

Finally, for the ULTIMATE southern lunch experience, you could take a cab from the airport to the Atlanta History Center, visiting the center (which includes the Swan House and the Tullie Smith Farm, both extremely cool, as well as museum exhibits) and then dining at the Swan Coach House. Not southern country cooking/soul food, but "upmarket" ladies-who-lunch food, the sort of food that our grandparents ate when they went to a restaurant that didn't serve barbecue or catfish.

Again, I'm not sure there's enough time for this last trip, but it would be pretty cool.

I love to play 'tour guide' so here's a few more suggestions. Although, you really really can't go wrong with Watershed. Scott's awesome, and so is his cookbook.

Some other suggestions:

http://www.agnesandmuriels.com - good food, bad parking

http://www.gladysandron.com - chicken & waffles, because I assume there aren't many restaurants of that type in Canada

http://www.paschalsrestaurant.com - a little history with your lunch

http://www.marymacs.com - an Atlanta institution

Out of these, Agnes & Muriel's would be my personal first choice. Gladys & Ron's is good, but somewhat of a one-note experience. And overall, I would still choose Watershed if you're wanting something Southern that fits in your six hour timeframe.

My one 'upscale' option in case you have last minute changes would be Bacchanalia. <http://www.starprovisions.com> Incredible food. And you'd get to (window) shop at Star Provisions while you're there. At least visit the website to see their menu.

Oh, and if you do end up in Decatur, there's a couple of places to hang out. Sage Tavern has a pretty nice wine selection, though I haven't been that impressed with the food. (And for other locals, an awesome jazz band, Earmail Trio, plays every other Wednesday night.)

The Brick Store Pub is basically an English pub. And on July 1st a new beer law went into effect here that allows beers up to 14% alcohol - used to be 6%. Brick Store has some really awesome beers now - well even better than before.

And the DeKalb Farmer's Market is great. A pretty good wine selection and great prices on just about everything. Oh!! Try to save a little room for a pastry from their bakery. They're dirt cheap, but they taste great. I really recommend going here - pastries or not.

Hmmm. Sorry that all my suggestions are food - I guess that's just how my stomach, er mind, works.

Hope you have a good time while you're in town.

-Greg

in about the same amount of time it took you to get to Decatur, you could get to Lenox Square. Brasserie le Coze, The Dining Room and probably a couple of other decent places are within walking distance (but again, dress for comfort), and all of Buckhead is within a cab ride.

Lenox Square is a shopping mall, and Brasserie le Coze is a French restaurant (which hasn't impressed me thus far) in the mall. Maeve's from Montreal---I think she could skip Brasserie le Coze and sleep soundly. And does The Dining Room serve lunch? And what would a person do in Buckhead during the day other than shop?

Thanks for catching my slip on Fernbank, Therese.

I like BlC, though it's far from the best restaurant in Atlanta. In any case, my point was not to suggest that Maeve go shopping, but to get her to an area that opens up her eating options.

It's been a couple of years, but last time I checked, The Dining Room served a very nice lunch.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's been a couple of years, but last time I checked, The Dining Room served a very nice lunch.

I would agree on this one but thought she had requested something distinctly southern in genre ... and where her time is limited, I think she now has a lovely 'bouquet' of eating options to choose from .... hopefully, the schedules of the airlines will cooperate! :rolleyes: Six hours is long if one is sitting in the airport but not quite so luxurious in the traffic of this city ...

Sorry, should have been a bit more sarcastic about the World of Coke. It's definately worth a visit, but not on the first day in ATL :biggrin:

And the Outkast refrence was also only half-sarcastic. While there really isn't anywhere to go, they are freakin awesome, and should be enjoyed, especially in their home area!

And to throw my two cents in, Brasserie le Coze is owned by the same people who own Le Bernadin in NYC, but will unfortunately be closing the Brasserie soon. This mades me exceptionally sad, as it was one of my favorite restaurants. In fact, I don't think I ever had a dissapointing meal there. It was a quite excellent Brasserie.

I do think, as a whole, that going to Watershed and going back would probably be your best bet. Fernbank takes an hour or two to see all the cool stuff, and World of Coke takes too long (and is too far) as well.

Enjoy Atlanta, and take picutres!

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

And to throw my two cents in, Brasserie le Coze is owned by the same people who own Le Bernadin in NYC, but will unfortunately be closing the Brasserie soon. This mades me exceptionally sad, as it was one of my favorite restaurants. In fact, I don't think I ever had a dissapointing meal there. It was a quite excellent Brasserie.

Is this confirmed? When? Why?

100% right 50% of the time.

Sweet potato cheesecake! Wow... I'd be tempted to nip to GnR just for that. But I'm sure Watershed's pecan delights will be a fine finish to what I anticipate will be a fine meal. Thanks for all the recs, gastronomically and non. I'll report on my meal when I return from my travels!

hasta pronto,

Maeve

And to throw my two cents in, Brasserie le Coze is owned by the same people who own Le Bernadin in NYC, but will unfortunately be closing the Brasserie soon.  This mades me exceptionally sad, as it was one of my favorite restaurants.  In fact, I don't think I ever had a dissapointing meal there.  It was a quite excellent Brasserie.

Is this confirmed? When? Why?

Out of an article on the (ex? might be working with BLRG now, can't recall) chef of Brasserie Le Coze Atlanta.

Native New Yorker Robert Holley graduated from the Culinary Institute of America, and in 1987 went to work for the brother-and-sister team of Maguy and Gilbert Le Coze at New York's extraordinary Le Bernadin Restaurant. Under the tutelage of New York Times four-star chef Gilbert Le Coze, Holley learned the special skills of fish preparation. In his four years at Le Bernadin, Holley worked hard learning the techniques of a fine French kitchen. In 1991 the Le Cozes opened Brasserie Le Coze in Miami, and Holley joined them as executive chef.

Holley gave Miami residents something to celebrate in the more casual, but still elegant and disciplined, Brasserie Le Coze. The immediate praise and accolades encouraged the brother-and-sister team to open a second Brasserie Le Coze in Atlanta in 1994. One year later, Holley moved to Atlanta to become executive chef. His reception there has been as warm and enthusiastic as it was in Miami.

The bold is added by me.

Ah, right, this is from the BLRG site:

After graduating in 1987 Chef Robert went to work for the brother-and-sister team of Maguy and Gilbert Le Coze at New York’s world famous La Bernadin. Under the tutelage of New York Times’ Four Star Gilbert Le Coze, Chef Robert learned the special skills of fish preparation, which he believes is a critical part of his culinary skills.

In his four years at La Bernadin, Holley focused on learning the techniques of a fine French kitchen, and in 1991 the Le Cozes opened Brasserie Le Coze in Miami, and Robert joined them. He gave Miami residents something to celebrate in the more casual but still elegant and disciplined Brasserie Le Coze, and shortly thereafter brought the concept to Atlanta’s Buckhead area to a warm and enthusiastic reception.

In 2000, Chef Robert was hired by Pano to take the kitchen helms of the incredibly successful Atlanta Fish Market. “I’m very glad to have the challenge, as the Atlanta Fish Market has always been one of my favorite restaurants in the city – I’ve always loved the energy. This is going to be exciting.”

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

Oh, silly me, you were referring to the other part of that quote, hang on, let me dig it up.

Edit: DOUBLE silly me -- this will teach me to trust rumors. I had heard from three different people, 2 foodies and 1 chef, that they were closing, but just called one of them who said she had just had lunch there, and they just re-signed a 3 year lease.

Hoorah!

And sorry for the scare!

Edited by agbaber (log)

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand

but will unfortunately be closing the Brasserie soon.

but where does it say this exactly? I know about the "backstory" on Brasserie LeCoze ... but nothing of the closing, or possible, or eventual, closing ...

I would expect this type of comment by perhaps a John Kessler, who is the main restaurant person in town at the Journal-Constitution .. but have heard nothing as yet ... :rolleyes:

[edit: thanks for clearing that up! Whew! I am relieved!] :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

The fee for our services, is, of course, lots of good food stories and pictures from Peru!!

(Enjoy your trip!)

Andrew Baber

The Gentleman Gourmand