• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best London Cheese Sources

Aside from the obvious -- Paxton & Whitfield, Harrod's, the Neal's Yard shop -- what are some stellar sources for cheese (particularly English cheese) in London?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven, serious ditto on Rippon.  A few others:

The Cheese Block

69 Lordship Lane SE22

The Cheeseboard

26 Royal Hill SE10

Hamish Johnston

48 Northcote Road SW11

La Fromagerie

30 Highbury Park N5

None of these are as central as Rippon (which is near Victoria Station), but are worth checking out if you have the time to spare.  

You might also want to check out the cheese department in Fortnum & Mason's in Piccadilly and Selfridge's on Oxford Street.

One recommendation: Stinky Bishop (which is as good as its name).  If you like Livarot, try the Bishop.  Only don't take it back to the States with you, lest everything in sight takes on its odor.

I don't know how often you get over here, but as a displaced NYer, I have found the following resources (other than eGullet, of course) to be indispensible:

The Time Out Shopping Guide, 7th ed.

Gray's Guide to London Food Shops

The Essential Guide to London's Best Food Shops

One final note (and then I'll stop).  If you do check out F&M (and DO), stop by the pastry department and get what claims to be the original sticky toffee pudding (which is much like fabled Etats Unis dessert you were so kind to lead me to many years ago).  They have a website, which is cleverly named www.stickytoffeepudding.co.uk.

Have Fun!

Quote: from Majumdarathome

I can second the recommendation of La fromagerie  the best place for French cheeses in the UK

S

I agree, but a friend of mine's French boyfriend was apparently very sniffy about the way La Fromagerie stores its cheeses and refuses to go there. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what methods he was referring to. Can anyone comment on this?

Miss J

My good friend Bruce Poole has just switched suppliers to La Fromagerie at no little cost to his resaurants. I was in The Glasshouse this evening (full review to follow once I have sobered up)and had the cheese course which was nothing short of wonderful.

I would politely suggest that friend's french boyfriend doesn't know as much as he would like others to think he does about this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who prefer the convenience of ordering over the internet, check out Esperya (www.esperya.com) where you can purchase the very best traditional Italian cheese (and much more).  Deliveries to London (and rest of UK) in 24-48 hours.  

I work for Esperya so this may obviously sound biased.  But you don't have to take my word for it - we've received great reviews from many top foodies including Nigel Slater, Delia Smith, Ursula Ferrigno, etc

Alison Brown

Esperya - Italian Food Experience

I can vouch for the Cheese Block as I am East Dulwichite, but roll on the opening of the new East Dulwich Deli on Lordship Lane because they can be a bit miserable in the Cheese Block - you can also pop in to Le Chardon for some not too bad French bistro grub while you're at it....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

La Fromagerie may be a great little shop but they need to learn a lot about customer service.  Although I live just around the corner, the owner is such a snob I refuse to go there.  I worried that one day when I'm in I'll take a pop her snootiness.

I realise that this is a little last minute, but I'm hoping someone can help...

I'm hosting a dinner party on Saturday night, and I've been so busy merrily planning my courses that I haven't given enough thought to the cheese. I'd like to offer a troika of Italian cheeses, and I'd be VERY happy if they're not all super-obvious. (I don't mind offering one obvious cheese, but three's a bit much.)

Can anyone recommend a good and slightly out-of-the-ordinary combo, as well as a (London-based) supplier? I'm going to be doing a last minute shop on Saturday morning.

Huge thanks,

Miss J

No great connoisseur of Italian cheese, but when I do have call to buy, I go to one of the cammissa shops.

There is the old one on the west end of Old Compton St and the newer one on Charlotte St ( just north of Goodge St )

I can't swear how much choice they have, but they are pretty good for most things

Hope this helps

S