• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian butter

I miss Amul butter, I miss my grandmas white butter. I miss Indian butter......

lets talk butter.. makhan.. which one do you use in your indian kitchen?

:biggrin:

I dont.

Here in the US, We usually buy the salted butter in bulk from Costco wholesale store. I forget the brand but it comes from Wisconsin. Feels, looks and tastes exactly like Amul. Both my daughter and wife prefer that as compared to Smart Balance that I take. We tried the store branded stuff earlier and some are OK, some are not. But this one beats everything else. I'll get the brand name tomorrow.

In fact we get the unsalted one also to make Desi Ghee also at home. Turns out great.

Of late, we have tried the White Whipped butter also. This one reminds me of my mother's home made butter made from heavy cream. We have tried both Breakstone and Land-O-Lakes and frankly, I did not find any difference. Both taste good. Heavenly with Tandoori paranthas.

Cheers,

food processor homemade butter is the best, but..........

Health food store organic "European-style" makes good ghee.

The little 1/4 pound boxes of Amul are my favorite though.

Tell me, is the imported from India Amul we get here the same product sold in India?

Had 3 freshly made chapati slathered with Amul at midnight last night....its part of my all-carb diet....

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I love Amul butter too. I don't get it here in Dublin, so everytime I go home I use it at every opportunity - I mean, why gain 4 pounds when you can gain 14? Irish dairy products are superb, but none of the butters compare to 'Mera Amul'. Imagine my absolute delight when I came across Brittany butter with sea salt - it's so much like Amul! Now I wish I hadn't found it. My butter-lover son (he'll eat hay if you spread some butter on it) now insists on having only 'Indian' butter.

I dont.

Here in the US, We usually buy the salted butter in bulk from Costco wholesale store. I forget the brand but it comes from Wisconsin. Feels, looks and tastes exactly like Amul. Both my daughter and wife prefer that as compared to Smart Balance that I take. We tried the store branded stuff earlier and some are OK, some are not. But this one beats everything else. I'll get the brand name tomorrow.

In fact we get the unsalted one also to make Desi Ghee also at home. Turns out great.

Of late, we have tried the White Whipped butter also. This one reminds me of my mother's home made butter made from heavy cream. We have tried both Breakstone and Land-O-Lakes and frankly, I did not find any difference. Both taste good. Heavenly with Tandoori paranthas.

Cheers,

I got the brand name now. It is "Mid America Farms" made by Kellers Creamery. Also need to correct that is from PA and not WI.

These people own some other brands also like Plugra, Borden, Breakstone and others. You can check www.kellerscreamery.com

Monica, that butter looks fantastic!

I love Amul butter, I've gotten in a few times at the Indian grocer and was in love! Oddly enough, my ex-MIL seemed to prefer standard Land 'o Lakes while she was here.

There is another brand of butter that I especially like, some European brand. Sadly, I forget the name, but it is quite delicious.

--Jenn

Amul might be availlable at Walmarts pretty soon. I met with the national distributor 3 weeks ago he was very sure that Walmarts will end up carrying it pretty soon. Personally, Normandy butter rules for me. Plugra also does sells clarified butter and it works superb.

Keep your fingers crossed about Amul at Walmarts folks. :)

Edited by M65 (log)

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

food processor homemade butter is the best, but...

I’m now kind of upset with you… After I read your post I became obsessed with the idea of churning my own butter in my food processor. It took me a while to figure out exactly how to do it well. I also eventually sought out and stumbled onto a website that has more information about butter than almost anyone could possibly want and definitely more than your average person could need.

http://webexhibits.org/butter/doityourself.html

Among the things I learned is how to churn, wash, and knead food processor butter.

I also learned how to make a very delicious cultured butter… and I learned that India consumes more butter than any other nation and does so by an admirable margin.

http://webexhibits.org/butter/consumption.html

Thanks to you I spent my entire weekend churning, culturing, and taste testing butter… This has suddenly become an all-consuming endeavor… so I guess…

Thank you.

But next time you casually toss out a statement like that… I may ask you to follow up with some instructions.

Edited by carp (log)

food processor homemade butter is the best, but...

I’m now kind of upset with you… After I read your post I became obsessed with the idea of churning my own butter in my food processor. It took me a while to figure out exactly how to do it well. I also eventually sought out and stumbled onto a website that has more information about butter than almost anyone could possibly want and definitely more than your average person could need.

http://webexhibits.org/butter/doityourself.html

Among the things I learned is how to churn, wash, and knead food processor butter.

I also learned how to make a very delicious cultured butter… and I learned that India consumes more butter any other nation and does so by an admirable margin.

http://webexhibits.org/butter/consumption.html

Thanks to you I spent my entire weekend churning, culturing, and taste testing butter… This has suddenly become an all-consuming endeavor… so I guess…

Thank you.

But next time you casually toss out a statement like that… I may ask you to follow up with some instructions.

Sorry...uh...I mean....your welcome.... :wink:

Now you must begin to add flavors to your home-made butter.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com