• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotta New ISI Dessert Whip

Richard Kilgore

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun. :biggrin:

I received as a gift an iSi Mini Whip half pint whipped cream maker.  Is there anything else I can do with it?

I gather that one can 'whip' rather than 'churn' an ice cream mixture. (And freeze the foam.)

Question: Is this a reasonable alternative to an ice cream maker?

(I'm looking for more justification for buying one!)

You'd probably have to drastically change your ice cream recipe..? I'm guessing you won't get the right desirable ice-cream consistency, even if you could do this.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays. Do you have a great savory foam recipes? Any interesting twists on sweet ones? Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone use a iSi whipper in their pastry work? If so what do you make?

How is this model better than other basic whip cream dispensers that are cheaper?

From Williams-Sonoma website:

iSi Thermo Whipper

Having originated in Spain, the intensely flavorful, sweet or savory whipped foams called espumas have become popular on restaurant menus worldwide. Our vacuum-insulated whipper is the first designed for making these hot and cold foams in the home kitchen. Using N20 cartridges (sold separately), it can aerate pureed mixtures of fresh fruits, herbs, vegetables, seafood and meat into varying consistencies: firm (for mousse), creamy (for whipped cream) and liquid (for soups, sauces and gravies). The whipper’s contents will remain cold for up to eight hours, or hot for up to three hours, which allows prep work to be completed well in advance. It has a capacity of one pint for making up to 2 1/2 quarts of aerated foam. Included are three decorating tips to dispense whipped foods in attractive patterns, a recipe book and complete instructions. Dishwasher safe. 13 1/2" high. A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

$150.00

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the  ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun.  :biggrin:

So you just whack your CO2 cannisters directly into the ISI whipper? I've been wondering whether that would work, but had stuck with fizzing fruit in a big old soda syphon for fear of screwing up my beloved whipper.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

With the fizzy fruit, I've found that 2 x C02 canisters makes a small handful (eg. ten small ones) of grapes wonderfully fizzy. Filling to the third or half way mark requires more canisters - the grapes are still carbonated, but not as fizzy. Once the canisters have been inserted, I leave it to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before using.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays.  Do you have a great savory foam recipes?  Any interesting twists on sweet ones?  Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

Rick Tramonto's Amuse Bouche recipe book has some savoury foam recipes (blue cheese, potato and vanilla,...).. but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. At my work, we've used a coconut foam, vanilla, and almond milk foam for various things in the pastry section. At home, I've substituted ordinary milk for low-fat, lactose-free milk, so I guess it's possible to make low fat foam.

• 1 month later...

Tom that’s a great link, thanks.

I’ve tried the patatas (good but tends to be a little on the gelatinous side of nice), mayonnaise (hot – fantastic with asparagus) and gin fizz – the gin fizz is now an absolute favourite, albeit I use the recipe from the Cook’s Book which uses a gin/lemon sorbet under a hot gin/lemon foam.

I also use the cream whipper for making batter as in Heston Blumenthal’s book, In Search of Perfection.

Strangely, I have never used it for whipping cream.

• 1 year later...
One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the  ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun.  :biggrin:

Pomegranate is perfect for this. You can nearly fill the 500ml canister, use one CO2 cartridge, leave it for a few hours, and it's very very fizzy.

gallery_28691_4819_54730.jpg

• 7 months later...

Since some of the links referenced at the beginning of this thread are now dead--

There is an English translation of the basic outline for making espumas from the Adrià pamphlet here--

http://www.espumas.at/preparations/the-espuma-method/en/

Click on "Preparations" on the left side for other useful suggestions, and click on "Recipes" for, well, recipes.

• 1 year later...

Finally got the hook up on an ISI so I can do new dishes for my dinners.

150g foie gras (I used the trimmings from a torchon)

1/3C duck demi-glace

1/3C cream

I heated up the demi and poured into a blender, added the foie a little at a time and mixed in the cream at the end, seasoned with salt and charged.

Fioe gras mousse, toy box tomatoes, riesling gelee, walnuts and root beer syrup.

4974802343_d70796d129_z.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Finally picked up a 500 ml ISI, and am looking for things to do with it as a home cook (not that the discussion should be limited to home cooking applications). Beyond the five mixtures suggested in the booklet that came with it, what have you tried that works out well? Any other general advice, applications or ideas will be appreciated.

Over in the infusions thread, we're discussing using nitrogen cavitation with the ISI whipper to do (near) instant infusions.

Richard, I know you're really into tea. Matt Kayahara said he did a tea infusion this way. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on that.

I want to try this, but lack the equipment you have. I think I saw it first on the Spain No Reservations episode. Aerated spongecake batter nuked in a plastic cup and torn up to resemble fluffy coral for a dessert plate.

It's better demonstrated if you can find the No Reservations clip.

Finally picked up a 500 ml ISI, and am looking for things to do with it as a home cook (not that the discussion should be limited to home cooking applications). Beyond the five mixtures suggested in the booklet that came with it, what have you tried that works out well? Any other general advice, applications or ideas will be appreciated.

Over in the infusions thread, we're discussing using nitrogen cavitation with the ISI whipper to do (near) instant infusions.

Richard, I know you're really into tea. Matt Kayahara said he did a tea infusion this way. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on that.

Thanks, Kent. I'll check it out.

• 7 months later...

I got one of these since I saw a few items in MC that use one.

Last night I made a basic chocolate mousse and Thomas Keller's Watercress mousseline. For both of them it was incredibly hard to get it to come out properly. Even with the lightest touch on the trigger it came out with a ton of pressure that made it near impossible to shape into anything other than a blob with a whole in the middle where the pressure dug into it. I was holding it upside down, using a light touch and charged with one canister. Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? It's almost like it was forcing out as much air as it was foam (even while inverted).

I've always been curious about these things because they seem pretty cool. From my understanding you fill the canister with liquid, then charge with N2O, shake and it will release a foam on command. When charging it takes one full iSi N2O cartridge even with smaller sizes, correct? This seems pretty wasteful. Is there another way to charge them (or can you use less then one full cartridge to load a canister)?

Also, I was wondering about sizing. For someone making dishes for two people, sometimes four, is something like this worth the money and will the smallest size (half a pint?) be too much or too little?

Thanks

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

You probably have seen them in coffee houses used for whipped cream. Often it is recommended that you use two cartridges, sometimes one is sufficient. iSi does have a book I purchased which is both helpful and interesting called 'The Trick with the Whip' - it is short and done in a ring binder fashion.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

• 2 months later...

I just bought one of these at a garage sale (four dollars!), but have had limited success. I've tried a few recipes, and I can't get a really deep chocolate flavor out of any of them - I'm looking less for chocolate milk and more for a fluffy ganache. I also suspect they'd benefit a great deal from a stabilizer (perhaps a little gelatin?)

Also, can anyone suggest an online retailer that's cheap and trustworthy? I'm told that some of the "ISI" cylinders sold online are knock-offs intended for stoners that can smell a bit whiffy.

Edited by jrshaul (log)

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients
      300 -400 grams zucchini 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute 1/2 cup cocoa 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc) 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz) 2 egg yolks 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder) 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)   1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.
      2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.
      4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.
      5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.
      6. Add the oatmeal and blend.
      7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).
      8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.
    • By Janet Taylor
      Ever since Todd talked making cupcakes I have been cupcake crazy. Although, I am not a cake maker but more of a pie person.
      My first dessert that I love that I make is my Coconut Cream Pie w/heavy whipped cream. I don't use low fat anything and probably angioplasties is necessary after this baby.
      My second is Peach Cobbler w/rich vanilla ice cream. I never met a cobbler that I didn't like, but peach is my favorite.
      I don't make these often because I wouldn't be able to get through the front door if I did.
      How about yours?
      .....Janet