• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotta New ISI Dessert Whip

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun. :biggrin:

I received as a gift an iSi Mini Whip half pint whipped cream maker.  Is there anything else I can do with it?

I gather that one can 'whip' rather than 'churn' an ice cream mixture. (And freeze the foam.)

Question: Is this a reasonable alternative to an ice cream maker?

(I'm looking for more justification for buying one!)

You'd probably have to drastically change your ice cream recipe..? I'm guessing you won't get the right desirable ice-cream consistency, even if you could do this.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays. Do you have a great savory foam recipes? Any interesting twists on sweet ones? Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone use a iSi whipper in their pastry work? If so what do you make?

How is this model better than other basic whip cream dispensers that are cheaper?

From Williams-Sonoma website:

iSi Thermo Whipper

Having originated in Spain, the intensely flavorful, sweet or savory whipped foams called espumas have become popular on restaurant menus worldwide. Our vacuum-insulated whipper is the first designed for making these hot and cold foams in the home kitchen. Using N20 cartridges (sold separately), it can aerate pureed mixtures of fresh fruits, herbs, vegetables, seafood and meat into varying consistencies: firm (for mousse), creamy (for whipped cream) and liquid (for soups, sauces and gravies). The whipper’s contents will remain cold for up to eight hours, or hot for up to three hours, which allows prep work to be completed well in advance. It has a capacity of one pint for making up to 2 1/2 quarts of aerated foam. Included are three decorating tips to dispense whipped foods in attractive patterns, a recipe book and complete instructions. Dishwasher safe. 13 1/2" high. A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

$150.00

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the  ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun.  :biggrin:

So you just whack your CO2 cannisters directly into the ISI whipper? I've been wondering whether that would work, but had stuck with fizzing fruit in a big old soda syphon for fear of screwing up my beloved whipper.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

With the fizzy fruit, I've found that 2 x C02 canisters makes a small handful (eg. ten small ones) of grapes wonderfully fizzy. Filling to the third or half way mark requires more canisters - the grapes are still carbonated, but not as fizzy. Once the canisters have been inserted, I leave it to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before using.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays.  Do you have a great savory foam recipes?  Any interesting twists on sweet ones?  Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

Rick Tramonto's Amuse Bouche recipe book has some savoury foam recipes (blue cheese, potato and vanilla,...).. but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. At my work, we've used a coconut foam, vanilla, and almond milk foam for various things in the pastry section. At home, I've substituted ordinary milk for low-fat, lactose-free milk, so I guess it's possible to make low fat foam.

• 1 month later...

Tom that’s a great link, thanks.

I’ve tried the patatas (good but tends to be a little on the gelatinous side of nice), mayonnaise (hot – fantastic with asparagus) and gin fizz – the gin fizz is now an absolute favourite, albeit I use the recipe from the Cook’s Book which uses a gin/lemon sorbet under a hot gin/lemon foam.

I also use the cream whipper for making batter as in Heston Blumenthal’s book, In Search of Perfection.

Strangely, I have never used it for whipping cream.

• 1 year later...
One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the  ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun.  :biggrin:

Pomegranate is perfect for this. You can nearly fill the 500ml canister, use one CO2 cartridge, leave it for a few hours, and it's very very fizzy.

gallery_28691_4819_54730.jpg

• 7 months later...

Since some of the links referenced at the beginning of this thread are now dead--

There is an English translation of the basic outline for making espumas from the Adrià pamphlet here--

http://www.espumas.at/preparations/the-espuma-method/en/

Click on "Preparations" on the left side for other useful suggestions, and click on "Recipes" for, well, recipes.

• 1 year later...

Finally got the hook up on an ISI so I can do new dishes for my dinners.

150g foie gras (I used the trimmings from a torchon)

1/3C duck demi-glace

1/3C cream

I heated up the demi and poured into a blender, added the foie a little at a time and mixed in the cream at the end, seasoned with salt and charged.

Fioe gras mousse, toy box tomatoes, riesling gelee, walnuts and root beer syrup.

4974802343_d70796d129_z.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Finally picked up a 500 ml ISI, and am looking for things to do with it as a home cook (not that the discussion should be limited to home cooking applications). Beyond the five mixtures suggested in the booklet that came with it, what have you tried that works out well? Any other general advice, applications or ideas will be appreciated.

Over in the infusions thread, we're discussing using nitrogen cavitation with the ISI whipper to do (near) instant infusions.

Richard, I know you're really into tea. Matt Kayahara said he did a tea infusion this way. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on that.

I want to try this, but lack the equipment you have. I think I saw it first on the Spain No Reservations episode. Aerated spongecake batter nuked in a plastic cup and torn up to resemble fluffy coral for a dessert plate.

It's better demonstrated if you can find the No Reservations clip.

Finally picked up a 500 ml ISI, and am looking for things to do with it as a home cook (not that the discussion should be limited to home cooking applications). Beyond the five mixtures suggested in the booklet that came with it, what have you tried that works out well? Any other general advice, applications or ideas will be appreciated.

Over in the infusions thread, we're discussing using nitrogen cavitation with the ISI whipper to do (near) instant infusions.

Richard, I know you're really into tea. Matt Kayahara said he did a tea infusion this way. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on that.

Thanks, Kent. I'll check it out.

• 7 months later...

I got one of these since I saw a few items in MC that use one.

Last night I made a basic chocolate mousse and Thomas Keller's Watercress mousseline. For both of them it was incredibly hard to get it to come out properly. Even with the lightest touch on the trigger it came out with a ton of pressure that made it near impossible to shape into anything other than a blob with a whole in the middle where the pressure dug into it. I was holding it upside down, using a light touch and charged with one canister. Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? It's almost like it was forcing out as much air as it was foam (even while inverted).

I've always been curious about these things because they seem pretty cool. From my understanding you fill the canister with liquid, then charge with N2O, shake and it will release a foam on command. When charging it takes one full iSi N2O cartridge even with smaller sizes, correct? This seems pretty wasteful. Is there another way to charge them (or can you use less then one full cartridge to load a canister)?

Also, I was wondering about sizing. For someone making dishes for two people, sometimes four, is something like this worth the money and will the smallest size (half a pint?) be too much or too little?

Thanks

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

You probably have seen them in coffee houses used for whipped cream. Often it is recommended that you use two cartridges, sometimes one is sufficient. iSi does have a book I purchased which is both helpful and interesting called 'The Trick with the Whip' - it is short and done in a ring binder fashion.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

• 2 months later...

I just bought one of these at a garage sale (four dollars!), but have had limited success. I've tried a few recipes, and I can't get a really deep chocolate flavor out of any of them - I'm looking less for chocolate milk and more for a fluffy ganache. I also suspect they'd benefit a great deal from a stabilizer (perhaps a little gelatin?)

Also, can anyone suggest an online retailer that's cheap and trustworthy? I'm told that some of the "ISI" cylinders sold online are knock-offs intended for stoners that can smell a bit whiffy.

Edited by jrshaul (log)
  • Similar Content

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      CRANBERRY-APPLE CAKE

The worst thing about my cranberry-apple cake is the way it looks. It didn't look impressive, but it was so yummy it disappeared from the baking pan before it had completely cooled down. My children said that it was a colourful apple pie, and it really was something like that. Apples with cinnamon are the basis of apple pie – one of my favourite cakes. However, the sour cranberries make it more fresh and interesting. The crumble topping was, for my son, the most important part of the cake. I had to drive him away, because otherwise the cake would have been deprived of its crunchy top.

Ingredients (18×26cm cake tin ):
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 eggs
      1 packet of powdered vanilla blancmange
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      200g of sugar
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      pinch of salt
      fruit
      250g of fresh cranberries
      1 apple
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      crumble topping
      5 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100g of butter
      150g of flour

First make the crumble topping. Put the cool butter, flour and sugar in a bowl. Knead them until you have small lumps. Leave it in the fridge.
      Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a cake tin with some baking paper.
      Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Cream the butter with the sugar. Add egg after egg to the butter, stirring constantly. Add the flour, vanilla essence and powdered vanilla blancmange. Mix it together until you have a smooth dough. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the apple, remove the apple core and cube it. Mix the cranberries, apple, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Put the fruit on top of the dough. Cover the fruit with the crumble topping. Bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      BICOLOUR DESERT WITH SEMOLINA

Today when we think about breakfast with milk we can choose different kinds of flakes, granolas, muesli and milk which has sometimes never been anywhere near a cow. When I was a child, only semolina rolled oats and rice were on the menu. Semolina with milk – our hated everyday breakfast – means that I don't fancy using it in my kitchen. But, as they say, time is a great healer and semolina was on our table last weekend for dessert. The dessert had two colours: the first layer was vanilla, and the second was with cocoa. On the top I put some mousse with blueberries. The dessert was very grand and really very tasty.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      vanilla layer
      50g of semolina
      400ml of milk
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      cocoa layer
      50g of semolina
      400ml of milk
      2 tablespoons of cocoa
      fruit mousse
      200g of blueberries
      1 tablespoon of brown sugar
      pinch of cinnamon
      1 tablespoon of lemon juice

First prepare the vanilla layer of the dessert. Boil the milk with sugar and vanilla essence. When the milk has boiled, slowly add the semolina, stirring constantly so as not to make lumps. Keep boiling and stirring until the mixture is stiff. Put some small glasses into some small bowls and arrange them in such a way that they are resting at an angle. Put the mixture into the glasses and leave to congeal. Now make the cocoa layer. Boil the milk with sugar. Mix the semolina with the cocoa. When the milk has boiled, slowly add the semolina with cocoa, stirring constantly so as not to make lumps. Keep boiling and stirring until the mixture is stiff. Place the glasses upright and put the cocoa mixture into them. Leave to congeal. Wash the blueberries and blend them with the sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Put the fruit mousse on top of the dessert.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      BANOFFE - MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

This year, mischievous nature tried to upset my daughter's birthday plans. Spending your birthday in bed with a thermometer isn't an excellent idea ¬– even for an adult. For a teenager it is a drama comparable to cancelled holidays. My daughter told me that you are thirteen only once. And she was right. Literally and figuratively.

I wanted to sugar the pill for her on this day and cheer her up for a bit, so I prepared a caramel cake with bananas – banoffee in the form of a small birthday cake. My sweet magic and the dinner from her favourite restaurant worked, and in the end her birthday was quite nice.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin):
      150g of biscuits
      75g of butter
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of caster sugar
      2 bananas
      300g of fudge
      1 teaspoon of dark cocoa

Break the biscuits into very small pieces or blend them. Melt the butter and mix it up with the biscuits until you have dough like wet sand. Put it into a cake tin and form the base. It is worth rolling it flat with a glass. Leave it in the fridge for one hour. Spread the biscuit layer with fudge and arrange the sliced bananas on top. Whisk the chilled sweet cream with the caster sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in. Put the mixture onto the bananas and make it even. Sprinkle with the dark cocoa and decorate as you like. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours (best for the whole night).

Enjoy your meal!