• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun with an iSi siphon

Richard Kilgore

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun. :biggrin:

I received as a gift an iSi Mini Whip half pint whipped cream maker.  Is there anything else I can do with it?

I gather that one can 'whip' rather than 'churn' an ice cream mixture. (And freeze the foam.)

Question: Is this a reasonable alternative to an ice cream maker?

(I'm looking for more justification for buying one!)

You'd probably have to drastically change your ice cream recipe..? I'm guessing you won't get the right desirable ice-cream consistency, even if you could do this.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays. Do you have a great savory foam recipes? Any interesting twists on sweet ones? Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone use a iSi whipper in their pastry work? If so what do you make?

How is this model better than other basic whip cream dispensers that are cheaper?

From Williams-Sonoma website:

iSi Thermo Whipper

Having originated in Spain, the intensely flavorful, sweet or savory whipped foams called espumas have become popular on restaurant menus worldwide. Our vacuum-insulated whipper is the first designed for making these hot and cold foams in the home kitchen. Using N20 cartridges (sold separately), it can aerate pureed mixtures of fresh fruits, herbs, vegetables, seafood and meat into varying consistencies: firm (for mousse), creamy (for whipped cream) and liquid (for soups, sauces and gravies). The whipper’s contents will remain cold for up to eight hours, or hot for up to three hours, which allows prep work to be completed well in advance. It has a capacity of one pint for making up to 2 1/2 quarts of aerated foam. Included are three decorating tips to dispense whipped foods in attractive patterns, a recipe book and complete instructions. Dishwasher safe. 13 1/2" high. A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

$150.00

One thing you can do (that isn't mentioned in the instructions or on their site) is make "fizzy" fruit. I think I saw it on the  ideasinfood blog.

Put small fruit (like grapes) or cut up larger pieces so they fit through the opening of the charger. Screw on the top, charge the canister (I use CO2 from the soda syphon - same size as the nitrous cartridges for whipping cream) and leave in the fridge for an hour or so. Release the pressure, unscrew the top, and remove the fruit. It will have a weird fizzy carbonated taste. Kind of fun.  :biggrin:

So you just whack your CO2 cannisters directly into the ISI whipper? I've been wondering whether that would work, but had stuck with fizzing fruit in a big old soda syphon for fear of screwing up my beloved whipper.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

With the fizzy fruit, I've found that 2 x C02 canisters makes a small handful (eg. ten small ones) of grapes wonderfully fizzy. Filling to the third or half way mark requires more canisters - the grapes are still carbonated, but not as fizzy. Once the canisters have been inserted, I leave it to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before using.

I'm hoping this group has tons of ideas for creatively using the ISI Whipper I got for the holidays.  Do you have a great savory foam recipes?  Any interesting twists on sweet ones?  Any thoughts on a low fat foam using coconut milk????

Rick Tramonto's Amuse Bouche recipe book has some savoury foam recipes (blue cheese, potato and vanilla,...).. but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. At my work, we've used a coconut foam, vanilla, and almond milk foam for various things in the pastry section. At home, I've substituted ordinary milk for low-fat, lactose-free milk, so I guess it's possible to make low fat foam.

Hi all,

Well, I have just taken delivery of my isi themo whip, but am having a tough time finding recipes and knowing where to start creating my own. I would love to hear any of your recipes and ideally a base recipe that I can then add to and alter as I like, much like you may give someone a basic risotto recipe and then let them know when and where they can look to add in other flavours.

Thanks in advance of your help!

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I have a thin, 3-ring binder from iSi titled "Creations with the Gourmet Whip" . Written by Rick Tramonto of Tru, it some recipes for foams, soups, sauces, etc. that helped get me started. His book, "Amuse Bouche", also helped me with some ideas, but once you get the basics, your imagination will be your guide.

Bill/SFNM

I have a thin, 3-ring binder from iSi titled "Creations with the Gourmet Whip" . Written by Rick Tramonto of Tru, it some recipes for foams, soups, sauces, etc. that helped get me started. His book, "Amuse Bouche", also helped me with some ideas, but once you get the basics, your imagination will be your guide.

Bill/SFNM

I use them a reasonable amount in my kitchen and they really are down to experimenting, as long as the liquid as about the consistancy of double cream, you should be away, heres a couple of ideas

Caramel, 250g sugar to caramel, 250g double cream, 250g milk

Apple reduce 2 litre of apple juice to 1 litre add 4 leaves bronze gelatine

Make a reasonably thick anglaise infused with anything from ginger,star anise, cinnemon

I m doing a rhubarb compote and jelly with ginger foam and pain d'epice crumble where i work as pre dessert!!!

Hope this gives some ideas, let me know

Simon

Thanks for all the resposnes so far. One area that I am particularly interested in developing is with savoury foams, for example a garlic foam to top a french onion soup, or a cauliflower foam to top scallops, or even a boudin noir foam to go with scallops and a caulifloer puree/cauliflower ravioli

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

David,

One of my favorite savory foams is with roasted red peppers. I make big batches of garlicky "Roasted Red Bell Peppers with Sherry Vinegar" from Jose Andres' book "Tapas - A Taste of Spain in America" which I keep in the fridge for use on sandwiches, pizzas, etc. I make a puree of the peppers along with some of the garlic and olive oil in which they are cooked and combine it with hot cream which I pour into my Thermo Whip. This stuff tastes good on anything - maybe even corn flakes! :biggrin:

Bill/SFNM

David,

One of my favorite savory foams is with roasted red peppers. I make big batches of garlicky "Roasted Red Bell Peppers with Sherry Vinegar" from Jose Andres' book "Tapas - A Taste of Spain in America" which I keep in the fridge for use on sandwiches, pizzas, etc.  I make a puree of the peppers along with some of the garlic and olive oil in which they are cooked and combine it with hot cream which I pour into my Thermo Whip. This stuff tastes good on anything - maybe even corn flakes!  :biggrin:

Bill/SFNM

Damn Bill,

That sounds awesome.

Bill, great idea - I will deffinately have a go at that. I am quite looking forward to trying out the boudin noir foam idea with scallops and I have now decided taht it will have to be with a cauliflower ravioli. I have also checked out the ISI website, but there is nothing too inspirational there.

A question on savoury sources, how thich should the puree that goes into the ISI be, and also, do I need any form of stabilizer?

Bill, great idea - I will deffinately have a go at that. I am quite looking forward to trying out the boudin noir foam idea with scallops and I have now decided taht it will have to be with a cauliflower ravioli. I have also checked out the ISI website, but there is nothing too inspirational there.

A question on savoury sources, how thich should the puree that goes into the ISI be, and also, do I need any form of stabilizer?

Bill, great idea - I will deffinately have a go at that.  I am quite looking forward to trying out the boudin noir foam idea with scallops and I have now decided taht it will have to be with a cauliflower ravioli.  I have also checked out the ISI website, but there is nothing too inspirational there. 

Really Ravelda,every ingredient is different, but majority of thetime you dont need a stabilizer

Try it with mayonnaise or aioli on there own nothing added, great as a canepe with some home made crisps/chips

Pomme Puree is also very intresing!!!

I m giving all my ideas away now

where do you cook?

Indeed every ingredient is different. As long as you've got a relatively loose puree of root veg, roasted veg, greens, etc you'll be fine, even for hot foams.

Where you run into problems is in the hot foaming of things that don't really hold as purees that well. I've been playing with a blue cheese foam that I can't quite get right. By heating, even with a hefty dose of heavy cream, the mixture does not want to hold air. That's where you need to get into gelling agents that will create a loose fluid gel that will pour but still be viscous hold air. You can use some of the same stalbilizers in smaller amounts to help "normal" foams hold air for longer periods of time.

Indeed every ingredient is different.  As long as you've got a relatively loose puree of root veg, roasted veg, greens, etc you'll be fine, even for hot foams. 

Where you run into problems is in the hot foaming of things that don't really hold as purees that well.  I've been playing with a blue cheese foam that I can't quite get right.  By heating, even with a hefty dose of heavy cream, the mixture does not want to hold air.  That's where you need to get into gelling agents that will create a loose fluid gel that will pour but still be viscous hold air.  You can use some of the same stalbilizers in smaller amounts to help "normal" foams hold air for longer periods of time.

Bryan,

I've had success with the Blue Cheese foam from Tramonto's Amuse-Bouche. The cream is boiled, removed from heat, and crumbled blue cheese is added and the mixture is pureed with an immersion blender or in a food processor. It is then strained through a chinois and seasoned. Allow to cool and pour into a the chilled ThermoWhip. Chill for 2 hours. Before dispensing, I shake vigorously, but this may be an altitude thing. Outstanding with his port wine reduction sauce.

You've probably tried this method, but I've never had a problem with this foam holding air.

Bill/SFNM

Edited by Bill/SFNM (log)

Indeed every ingredient is different.  As long as you've got a relatively loose puree of root veg, roasted veg, greens, etc you'll be fine, even for hot foams. 

Where you run into problems is in the hot foaming of things that don't really hold as purees that well.  I've been playing with a blue cheese foam that I can't quite get right.  By heating, even with a hefty dose of heavy cream, the mixture does not want to hold air.  That's where you need to get into gelling agents that will create a loose fluid gel that will pour but still be viscous hold air.  You can use some of the same stalbilizers in smaller amounts to help "normal" foams hold air for longer periods of time.

Bryan,

I've had success with the Blue Cheese foam from Tramonto's Amuse-Bouche. The cream is boiled, removed from heat, and crumbled blue cheese is added and the mixture is pureed with an immersion blender or in a food processor. It is then strained through a chinois and seasoned. Allow to cool and pour into a the chilled ThermoWhip. Chill for 2 hours. Before dispensing, I share vigorously, but this may be an altitude thing. Outstanding with his port wine reduction sauce.

You've probably tried this method, but I've never had a problem with this foam holding air.

Bill/SFNM

What is with the altitude bill, sounds intresting where are you based?

Simon

Bryan,

I've had success with the Blue Cheese foam from Tramonto's Amuse-Bouche. The cream is boiled, removed from heat, and crumbled blue cheese is added and the mixture is pureed with an immersion blender or in a food processor. It is then strained through a chinois and seasoned. Allow to cool and pour into a the chilled ThermoWhip. Chill for 2 hours. Before dispensing, I shake vigorously, but this may be an altitude thing. Outstanding with his port wine reduction sauce.

Bill/SFNM

The problem is making it hot. Which makes it difficult for cream to hold air and for the use of gelatin as a thickener. Experiments with xanthan have been less than successful; I need to use something stronger.